de·cid·u·ous Drama

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jacob007, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (217) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

anybody know what's going on at deciduous, with them trying to get rid of David ?

2. mschofield

mschofield Meyvn (1,450) Oct 16, 2002 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

No, but isn't that the brewery that came out of the Blue Lobster drama & breakup??

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  3. cincysig

cincysig Aspirant (288) Sep 15, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

I know absolutely nothing about what happened at Blue Lobster and now a similar end result may be happening at Deciduous? Hmmmmm...

VinhoTinto likes this.
  4. Auror

Auror Defender (635) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Background:
    The brewer/partner David Sakolsky at Deciduous has been not well for a bit (in and out of the hospital over the last couple of months).

In his words, his other partners have filed a motion to remove him from the partnership, and I assume he has not consented so it is being litigated.

The situation undoubtedly sucks for all, but most importantly I hope he gets better.

5. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (231) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

It is on his facebook page. He has been ill and in the hospital and there is some litigation in place to have him removed.

Seems like a shitty situation. Hopfully he gets well and is fine.

6. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Aspirant (211) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

Damn that dude just can't win. Anyone know who is brewing there currently?

7. jlordi12

jlordi12 Zealot (506) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Wow, this dude needs to catch a break. Get well , Dave

8. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (212) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Well, this might explain why the Deciduous I had on tap a couple weeks back was so disappointing.

9. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (23) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

Very sad, Auroral was a favorite of mine, have not been able to get back up to Newmarket recently to grab some.

I hope the brewer gets better and they can soothe the ill will, if not I hope there is a capable Jesse Pinkman to take over for Heisenberg.

chipawayboy likes this.
  10. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (305) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Dave, Frank and Maryann are all good people, can't imagine this is a desirable outcome for any of them.

LuskusDelph and jhavs like this.
  11. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (521) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Between this & the recent Garrison City drama - NH is the scene for some beery soap operas.

LuskusDelph and Jesse14 like this.
  12. Rysk22

Rysk22 Aspirant (204) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I find it odd that the NH beer scene seems to be so far behind the rest of it's New England neighbors from... From a quality standpoint they don't have many, if any, top-tier brewers in my book.

What happened at Garrison City?

papposilenus likes this.
  13. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Yea exactly? What did happen?

I also agree that outside of Garrison, Stoneface and Smutty there isn't much I care to seek out from NH, and live here. But having immediate access to Maine and MA will do that to you.

papposilenus likes this.
  14. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (521) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

15. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

I like From The Barrel as well but to agree with NH being quite far behind. I will be moving to NH shortly so hopfully that changes in the coming years.

jhavs likes this.
  16. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (301) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

17. Davl22

Davl22 Disciple (364) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I think it starts with the state's tight grip on distribution. There's not a lot of incentive to start a brewery around here with so much state interference.

papposilenus likes this.
  18. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (151) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I think Kelsen does the dark stuff as well as anyone in the region. Moat's Call It A Day and Tragically Hopped from Great North are sneaky good to mention a few more. NH is getting trying.

FrankLloydMike, Auror and skivtjerry like this.
  19. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,357) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Have you had a chance to try any of these from Great Rhythm? I think they have been putting out some nice offerings lately. I have heard their taproom is a nice spot, I haven't made it yet though.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30185/245403/

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30185/245404/

20. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

I have only had resonation pale ale. Its pretty basic but I've heard lots of good things about other beers from them. I have been meaning to make it down to the tap room myself.

jhavs likes this.
  21. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (212) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Schilling is worth seeking out.

22. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,357) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Yes, good brews!

duchessedubourg likes this.
  23. chrisfromboston

chrisfromboston Initiate (155) Feb 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I don't exactly know what happened but this is a bummer. Been a few months since I've been up there, would like to get back soon and try some of his fruited berliners. The one w/ wild blackberries and white peaches sounds great. Haven't tried the raspberry cab. barrel aged beer or the armagnac barrel aged blueberry beer either.

24. meefmoff

meefmoff Aspirant (292) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's unfortunate that the "Live free or Die" credo seems to begin and end with not requiring car insurance and having no state income tax.

LuskusDelph, EnronCFO and Davl22 like this.
  25. papposilenus

papposilenus Defender (640) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

You missed Althea which, I think, might be the best of the new ones. I don't get out to the seacoast often but the taproom's a must-stop when I do.

I may have it all wrong, but I think I remembering hearing that Great Rhythm got locked into a basically shitty, one-sided distribution agreement when they started out and that's why they're not shipping the new beers, because they'd actually lose money on them. For sure, they're not on the shelves out here in SW NH.

kool-aid and jhavs like this.
  26. papposilenus

Beer Trader

Gah! Good luck with that. I'm an expat-masshole myself and I've been waiting nearly twenty years. There are remote corners of this godforsaken wilderness where a man can get mighty thirsty.

Sweatshirt and bostonwolf like this.
  27. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (305) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I have no idea, but it seems like most of their batches are only around 60 cases as well, not a heck of a lot to send out to distro. Will be interesting to see what happens if and when they scale up.

jhavs likes this.
  28. Drinksonme616

Drinksonme616 Initiate (116) Nov 30, 2016 New Hampshire

I would try viewing imagining being a victim like Gabe Rogers or David Sakolsky. Physical or mental illness leaves are protected by law. You don't throw people away like garbage, especially when it is their dream and talent that created the establishment. I wouldn't call that a soap opera. I would call it sad, and unlawful.

29. Drinksonme616

The funny thing is that if you actually look at the reviews from Garrison July through September you will clearly see the exact same off flavors called out and mentioned. Rate beer Beer advocate and untapped.....except more off flavors were added. Main descriptors off certain beers are Buttered Popcorn, slick mouthfeel, and Diacetyl. Yum.

30. papposilenus

Beer Trader

Sad and awful, for sure. Unlawful remains to be seen.

But, I suppose, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. It's hard for me to judge them; people have their lives and fortunes tied up in the business, and personalities and relationships enter into it, too, of course.

I wish the best to all of them, for their health and livelihoods, and their souls, too.

#30 papposilenus, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  31. papposilenus

Beer Trader

Last year I had smoldering wires, this year it was public lavatory hand soap.

32. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (232) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Two sides to every conflict. In this case, personal side, and business side. An incapacitated brewer cannot brew beer for a business he's a partner in. A brewery cannot operate without a stable, productive brewer. All parties suffer regardless. A legal parting of ways may be necessary to insure the well-being, even survival of both parties. Contracts are binding, but can be legally renegotiated under changed circumstances. I personally am sad for both.

33. Drinksonme616

34. Drinksonme616

Case in point. Off flavors remain and continue to be an issue

35. Auror

Auror Defender (635) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I don't get diacetyl in their beers. Lavatory hand soap description sounds like he doesn't like their yeast profile, which isn't necessarily an off flavor, just preference. They did switch yeasts fairly recently, so perhaps we'll know for sure soon.

36. Drinksonme616

37. Drinksonme616

Contamination is likely if the wort or beer is exposed to musty or damp areas during fermentation. ... Soapyflavors can be caused by not washing your glass very well, but they can also be produced by the fermentation conditions. Once again more than likely brewing process. The beer is specifically fermented in a basement space.

38. tavernakhione

tavernakhione Initiate (113) Jun 28, 2015 Maine

I stopped by this past Friday at Deciduous not knowing this story- first time visit that was very enjoyable. Tried all 6 they had. I've only had a couple of their beers so didn't have much of a base to go from. Morphology, Berliners and porter were all excellent. Hopefully what is happening behind the scenes doesn't impact the business moving forward.

39. Drinksonme616

A very heartfelt reply. I'm sure a human being has no intentions of becoming ill or injured. This is why there are laws to protect them. FMLA and whatnot. There is also temporary disability or permanent disability. No idea about Deciduous's situation but as far as Garrison the brewer was cohearsed and not of sound mind and body to sign away his 50% share of ownership. That makes the contract illegal and unenforceable. While a head brewer is sick, an assistant brewers can do their job, Or temporary assistance can be sought after.

StephenPizzi likes this.
  40. kgoyette

kgoyette Initiate (136) Feb 13, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know the current status at Deciduous. I see they just did their first can release, is David involved at all?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.