decoction question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GormBrewhouse, Aug 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

The few decoc brews I have made were with 2 kettles. I was wondering how log one could hold the second runnings or mixed second barch of wort? is an hour to 2 too long???

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm confused. Are you talking about after conversion? Decoction has to be quick.

If you're just talking about collecting wort before boiling that should work but it would be much better if it was brought up to a boil in a shorter time period.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  3. Effinwill

Effinwill Devotee (397) Dec 2, 2016 California

If you’re worried about lacto spoilage, I don’t think an hour or two of sitting around pre boil would result in too much. I top off my boil after hot break with the last runnings from the mash and haven’t noticed any sourness

4. Effinwill

And don’t pour it out. Time heals many flaws.

5. Effinwill

Oops wrong thread

6. GormBrewhouse

Pooh-Bah Society

im talking about after I have filled the first kettle of wort. then I will have a second. since I do not have 2 kettles for boiling at the same time. I will have another kettles worth of wort to be boiled after the first is done.
    I am wondering if any problem will surface if I keep the second batch for 1.5 to 2 hours before boiling.

7. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'm not sure how decoction plays into this, but if the issue is just having a second wort sitting around for an extra couple hours until you can boil it, I don't think you'll have a problem. I have done a small number batches where I split the wort in half after the mash and boil separately, sequentially. The second wort sits while the first boils. I will do this if I want to compare hops, or add some steeped grains to one half so I have a dark beer and a light beer. I haven't experienced a problem. For that matter, a parti-gyle approach might have the same delay if you only have one kettle. I'll be doing something like this on an upcoming batch and don't anticipate a problem related to boil delay. (Well, except it will be a longer day)

8. GormBrewhouse

Pooh-Bah Society

thanks, yeah I might have gottin the question wrong. I think its the parti gyle im attempting .
    thanks

pweis909 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.