Default sorting for brewery beer listings has changed

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by woodychandler, Sep 2, 2019.

1. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (9,963) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

IIRC, the default sort was "Beer Name" which made sense, since most times that I was going to a brewery's master listing, it was to check on a particular beer. Now, there do not seem to be any filters & the names appear randomly until I click on "Beer Name" and Voila! the sort that seemingly used to be the default appears.

I know that there are two workarounds for me as a user - 1) Click on "Beer Name". Duh. OR 2) Click on "Add A Beer" which shows me all of a brewery's beers in alpha order. Perhaps more exist, but it would be simpler if that filter was restored.

Just my $0.02 on Labor Day.

2. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,200) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I've noticed this as well and think it's really weird. Beer listings used to be ordered alphabetically by default and are now in order of most ratings for some reason. While it's easy enough to re-order them manually by clicking on the desired filter, ordering them alphabetically by default seems to make the most sense to me.

3. Todd

Todd Founder (5,982) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Correct. I've switched the default beer list sorting on brewery pages to the number of ratings (and then average) to make what most people are looking for (the most popular beers) easier to find.

Other reasons:
    • Style pages have always been sorted by ratings for the above reason, so now both views are more consistent.
    • When sorted by beer name, I found that the top of most brewery lists were full of beers that had few to no ratings and were essentially inactive. Not helpful to anyone.
    This is now the default sorting.

Simply click the "Name" column header to sort by beer name.

4. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (6,991) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Would it be possible to adjust sorting settings for each individual? For instance, when I select show reviews only it remembers that choice practically until I log out. You've managed to code it as such that when I check that box it hides all those hads. Is it possible to do that for sorting? In a profile or account setting, could automatically be set to default to ratings but some of us who like things alphabetically and constantly add, buy, and review new beers can keep things fixed A-Z?

hopley, VoxRationis and morimech like this.
  5. Todd

Not at this time.

6. rudzud

Society Trader

Well I'll cross my fingers that it rolls out eventually. Can you at least make it so if I sort by name, click on a beer, and then hit the back button that it remembers I'd just sorted by name? It's a pain in the ass/frustrating while at a liquor store or brewery and having to keep resorting as I go back and forth checking out beers.

hopley and VoxRationis like this.
  7. Todd

It's not designed to support this and would probably require a rewrite of the code if at all possible.

8. rudzud

Society Trader

Good to know. Damn.

9. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (1,953) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota

I appreciate the change as I usually am looking at beers that are in a brewery's top 10.

TrojanRB and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,836) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yeah, a lot of people are on your wavelength and that's fine. Me, I'll take that easy step and click on the name to get what I want. :wink:

Jaycase, jaxon53 and cavedave like this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,333) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

Oh, good. It's not just me. FWIW, I'm really in favor of alphabetical ordering. Recently looked up a couple beers, and it was frustrating as all shit to have to read every beers name, as opposed to, well, following the alphabet.

hopley, beergoot, scream and 2 others like this.
  12. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (41) May 15, 2018 Virginia

Not a fan of the change, please go back to defaulting by beer name/alphabetically.

I know I can click name and it will sort in the order I prefer but when I select a beer, then go back to the brewery page, it goes back to the default sorting by ratings, then I need to re-sort the beer again.

This sorting makes sense for a style listing as there are significantly more beers under a specific style than under a specific brewery.

jmdrpi, hopley, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  13. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,471) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Sorting by ratings is much more useful and intuitive.

If I’m deciding whether to visit a brewery, I can easily see how their most popular offerings are scored when sorted by ratings. I may not know the names of their beers in this interest, so this saves a step and puts the most pertinent data up top.

By name is pretty useless...the first few beers usually have little to no activity. You either have to scroll way down to find something (generally a beer you already have purchased or know about), or you can sort by ratings. If you are looking for a specific beer...just search for it!! No reason to go to the brewery landing page and scroll.

14. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,333) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

When I'm at the store, and there are several new to me beers from a brewery, the simplest thing is to go to the brewery page, and look at the names.

I never look at the scores, so sorting by rating is valueless to me.

beergoot likes this.
  15. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,152) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Simply click "Name " and you are good to go. So no FOMO for you.

16. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,796) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I don’t think there is an obvious good solution here.

Newer breweries with beers that all have almost no ratings won’t have a good “most likely looking for” beer sorting and just seem random.

For breweries that are expanding to new areas, having their “more popular” beers nearer the top seems like it’d make things easier. Assuming they aren’t releasing 12 new beers a week.

At the very least, an interesting experiment at this point.

17. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,743) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Not like we're voting or anything, but I find the new default sort very annoying. I usually go to the brewery page to find a beer by name. Yes, a click fixes it but still - annoying. I'll forget about the change and start scrolling down before remembering it's not alphabetized, then have to scroll back up to sort. Add a beer is an option, but then you lose other information such as ABV and style.

hopley, beergoot, DISKORD and 6 others like this.
  18. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (1,808) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

I have to agree I am also a fan of the older alphabetic listing. I look for the beers by name and not by popularity. I've been finding the new way of ranking more a hinderance than a help in that process.

Sláinte.

beergoot, DISKORD, Jaycase and 5 others like this.
  19. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,095) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I also dislike the new sorting default and would like to see the sort default to the beer name.

When searching for beers I've had or want to research or to add to the BA database, the alphanumeric name sorting is so much easier to work with. It just seems disjointed when the Name column (the first one the eye goes to) sees a seemingly nonsensical ordering of the names. Ratings and percentages change, names generally remain static.

Plus, it's just as easy for those who want to find 'popular' or 'most rated' beers to click on the respective column header.

Just my two cents...

hopley, Jaycase and beertunes like this.
  20. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,356) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I dislike the change. Does a dictionary start with "the" "and" and "a" because they're the most popular words used in the English language? Most lists are listed in alphabetical or numerical order - this has been working well for BA for years, why change it? Your rationale is justified and solid, but in the interest of helping people by putting what you think they want right in front of them, I'm betting you're making it more confusing and difficult for both them and everyone else. Sure, it's easy to click on "name" every time, but it's a pain in the ass and if you're on this site every day, multiple times a day like I am and many other people are, the frustration really adds up. Just my .02 cents. Thanks.

Snowcrash000 and bbtkd like this.
  21. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,356) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

In thinking further about this, why not just have an obvious button you can push on the brewery page that says "Most Popular Beers" or "Top Ten Beers" - language consistent with the BA Top 250 Ratings?