Defective Bourbon County Bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by denverbeerguy, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjwisenheimer

jjwisenheimer Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2013 Indiana

...Sigh

Rollzroyce21, josmickam and fox227 like this.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,965) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

***Smiles sipping my Expedition Stout*** Cracked bottles and mold you say?

3. gsd

gsd Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Massachusetts

there are two different abvs 14 and 13 one was bottled in sept 14 the other oct 13

dphalpin likes this.
  4. chippo33

chippo33 Meyvn (1,183) Feb 29, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

Three different this year

richobrien likes this.
  5. chippo33

chippo33 Meyvn (1,183) Feb 29, 2012 Vermont
    Trader

From the reports of my friends in MA who went hunting today - it sounds like the majority of the MA bcbs outside of Boston all had their cases recalled due to "packaging issues".

richobrien likes this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,429) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

No issues with any of my bottles, we got the 13.8 abv here in NC, got trashed drinking two on tap though.

twizzard likes this.
  7. DrunkMcGruff

DrunkMcGruff Initiate (130) Apr 21, 2013 Michigan

man that sucks, all I got today were 6 of these untainted bottles after 1minute of waiting. Is glass the new variant this year?[​IMG]

8. turbotype

turbotype Aspirant (297) Nov 5, 2013 California

Glad that AB is keeping up with Goose Island quality traditions. :sunglasses:

9. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Aspirant (248) Jul 25, 2008 California

Best Buy should start selling beer, then they can sell crappy TVs and moldy beer simultaneously on Black Friday.

10. Keffa

Keffa Defender (605) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

I totally called this, AB Inbev ruining Goose Island to piss you guys off, so they can use the room taken up by the bourbon barrels to install new fermenters to make more 312 to sell to the non-BA peoples.

/Sarcasm

11. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

I bought 2 4 packs from 2 different stores ... One set was 13.8% and the other 14.4%.. I wondered the same.

12. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

I have both ... didnt notice anything though

13. DrunkMcGruff

DrunkMcGruff Initiate (130) Apr 21, 2013 Michigan

law doesnt require abv on the label, but if it is, it is allowed to have a .5% leeway higher or lower than stated. 14.4% could mean 14.9% or 13.9%, but if one batch is measured at 13.8%, new labels must be submitted.

LakerLeith and jbrownfsu like this.
  14. imbrue002

imbrue002 Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2014 Maryland

Yeah, where are the pics? I need to see what this screw-up looks like, for science.

pjvie likes this.
  15. richobrien

richobrien Devotee (470) Dec 29, 2013 California
    Trader

Friend that works in distro confirmed. Lots of bottles sent back and they haven't been given any info on future shipments.

16. bheerman

bheerman Initiate (103) Jun 10, 2005 Pennsylvania

He was trying to be informative as well, as he usually is. Your information was wrong, and he was merely correcting you. You can learn a lot on this forum, and you should be grateful for the knowledge that exists within it.

ActionMan likes this.
  17. JohnnyMalts

JohnnyMalts Initiate (103) Jul 28, 2014 New York
    Trader

I picked up a four pack of BCBS and a bottle of Vanilla Rye, and I didn't look closely at the necks of the bottle to notice anything. I will check when I get home.

18. TEKNISHE

TEKNISHE Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

mine are dated 8/28. no mold or anything. 13.8% abv. they didn't have any variants so I'm talking about the regular one only.

19. cultclassic89

cultclassic89 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Texas

I got 8 bottles of BCBS. One 4 pack looked like this. The other 4 were from two different cases, but no mold. ABV on these 14.4%.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mold and no mold to compare, both 2014 14.4% from two different cases.

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this is just shitty storage conditions, the beer should taste fine. Haven't cleaned them off yet because I figured someone else would have noticed this.

slarrage, ActionMan, dianimal and 7 others like this.
  20. Beervana

Beervana Defender (605) Apr 15, 2014 Canada

Hate to be a trolly bitch here, but you were off by 1/5th of a percent. :wink:

21. fox227

fox227 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 California

I have one bottle and the neck is a little sticky like maybe it was partially cleaned off. The abv is 13.8%. I have seen mold before on the neck of one of the Yeti variants, underneath the foil, but it drank fine so no foul.

22. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Aspirant (249) Apr 15, 2013 California

It's most likely the exteriors not being fully cleaned after bottling, and the sugars left after the alcohol evaporates are perfect for mould growth if there's any moisture in the air.

The bottle is a health hazard for sure, but if you clean it off thoroughly—and if the cap seal is fine—the beer should be OK.

edit: do check the cap when you open it, though. I ran into a pack of Matilda a year or so ago with faulty seals, and the beer was disgusting.
    [​IMG]

#62 cookiequiz, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    ActionMan, dianimal, StLeasy and 2 others like this.
  23. Masters

Masters Zealot (553) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

its Brett Porters limited release of a Brett stout porter :wink:

24. Daemose

Daemose Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Texas

Hey guys check it this totally unrelated and completely inferior and inequivalent stout I picked up today that's not suffering from this issue that's only affecting BCBS due some minor leakage somewhere, not a humblebrag or anything brah!

FutureJack likes this.
  25. trep

trep Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2005 West Virginia

Basically what @cookiequiz said. The mold is most likely due to a bottle busting and leaking down into other cases on the pallet. I've worked for a distributor for several years and that was one of the most common issues we see with damaged beer. It happens all the time, and the beer is perfectly fine to drink.

Wipe the exterior off with a warm cloth and clean the mouth when you open the bottle. The contents inside should be perfect.

timotao likes this.
  26. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (101) May 21, 2013 Ohio

And people complain about KBS? At least I can drink it. Just kidding. I'm just jealous because I live in Ohio and can't get BCBS at all.

27. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,360) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

In other words, don't talk back to @jesskidden ! It won't end well for you :wink:

Seriously though, he can be quite the devil's advocate, nitpicky about details and determined to prove others wrong but, when it comes to the laws, objective information and history of beer, he's like a frickin human Wikipedia only more reliable. He's like the dude at the party where, when someone states what they claim to be fact, he goes "Actually..." And proceeds to contradict them. Except he's always right somehow. It can be annoying, but he means well and is usually quite respectful.

28. timotao

timotao Disciple (308) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Wow that's some nasty looking stuff

tvoss99 likes this.
  29. timotao

timotao Disciple (308) Sep 16, 2013 New York
    Trader

Backyard Mold

30. smi69

smi69 Zealot (545) Apr 8, 2014 New York
    Trader

No it was down the road @ 4 seasons

31. daryk77

daryk77 Aspirant (254) Jun 16, 2005 District of Columbia

Checked my bcbs and the bottles look good, they are 13.8%. One of my Bcbbw looks to have an extremely small deformity in the neck but honestly would have never seen it if I hadn't inspected very closely. Vanilla and bcbcs looks fine as well.

32. SquirrelsBrews

SquirrelsBrews Aspirant (289) May 31, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm in western mass .. Went to 3 stores before I found a four pk of reg bcbs.. All the strokes told me that a second shipment was coming and only 2 stores recorded a case of vanilla because of a carbonation defect leading to mold in some bottles.. I was told 8 pallets shipped to western Ma were returned?? Sad to hear.. Happy bcbs hunting everyone!!

33. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,831) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Maybe its BCBS Baudoinia going undercover!

Dupage25, funhog, aasher and 3 others like this.
  34. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Zealot (549) Aug 11, 2013 California
    Trader

So just send all defective or suspicious bottles to me and I guess I can probably take a look at them for you.

35. mhksuccess

mhksuccess Zealot (560) Jul 7, 2012 California
    Trader

definite quality control has went down I just notice my bottles are not filled near as high as past years
    About half of my bottles are filled to my finger looks like about 10oz fills
    [​IMG]

36. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

This is all so crappy to read. And here in california everyone got half as much bcbs due to cutting the allocation in half.

And then I go on the haul forums and people are posting pictures of cases they picked up. Wtf

2beerdogs and TurkeyFeathers like this.
  37. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Devotee (402) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Saw two cases at two different stores with what appeared to be mold. Id say its time for us to send messages to them to let them know that the quality control took a dive. And that we are noticing.

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  38. ThirstyMiner

ThirstyMiner Initiate (110) Jan 7, 2011 California

I'd say my two bottles were slightly under-filled but fine other than that. (Central Coast of CA)

39. Biercans

Biercans Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2013 California

All good in CA. Rancho Mirage TW.

40. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

BCBS = Bourbon County Biodegradation Stout :grimacing:

MattyG85 and Bung like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.