Delaneys in New Haven Burning.

Discussion in 'New England' started by hit728, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hit728

hit728 Aspirant (264) Mar 19, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

New Haven Fire Dept is working a 3 alarm fire in the basement of Delaney's on Whalley Ave.
    That sucks.

2. pjs234

pjs234 Devotee (456) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

3. OkayBrendan

OkayBrendan Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 Connecticut
    Deactivated

4. pjs234

pjs234 Devotee (456) Jun 29, 2008 Connecticut

Partial collapse of the building now. Not good.

5. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (263) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

d'oh! that's a bummer. so sad. I went there for the first time just this past year

6. Providence

Providence Crusader (704) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Hopefully there are no injuries.

7. naloxone

naloxone Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 Connecticut

No injuries reported at the moment, total loss of the building. Tonight's special: Gandhi-Bot Flambe. :slight_frown:

8. lyoung8

lyoung8 Initiate (114) Dec 17, 2011 New York
    Trader

A firefighter was injured, but other than that everyone got out safely. Hopefully insurance will cover the damage to the building, but I'm doubtful about the contents of his cellar...

codasnap52 likes this.
  9. firedwarftj

firedwarftj Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 Connecticut

At this time 2 firefighters have been transported for injuries, no other injuries

Fire is still active at this time and pictures don't do the damage justice based on several friends who I spoke to who are there

Sad day for CT Beer world, I hope they rebuild

10. xanok

xanok Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

Too bad. Love that place. Keeping my fingers crossed that we haven't seen the last of them.

11. KevinB

KevinB Initiate (0) May 27, 2006 New York

just saw the news, that sucks. That place was an old school gem.

12. firedwarftj

firedwarftj Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 Connecticut

Just recently announced by New Haven officials, the building will be torn down due to the magnitude of damage (the fire is still actively burning)

13. mltobin

mltobin Poo-Bah (1,861) Apr 1, 2007 Connecticut
    Society Trader

It`s a terrible event to have occurred. And there are some people who live in apartments on the top floor. One of those residents appeared on the news, stating that he lost his passport, cash, and other valuables in the fire. And from his accent, he was not born in the U.S., so that makes things very difficult for him.
    Having been in business for a long time, I would hope that Delaney`s has a good insurance policy and that they can either rebuild or relocate. They are an important part of the greater New Haven craft beer scene & a neighborhood bar that is the watering hole of choice for so many locals.

14. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (741) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Sad to see this.I've been driving by that building all my life.Hope they rebuild.

Stum-pub and stearns16 like this.
  15. medic25

medic25 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2004 Connecticut

16. opwog

opwog Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2008 Minnesota

Unbelievable. I used to go there to eat with my family when we would visit New Haven, when it was the Cape Codder, then when I moved to New Haven, we used to hit them up for happy hour mussels and hot dogs. Eventually, they opened up the back room (what because the tap room under Delaney's) and we had bands in there. Then years after leaving, when coming back to the area, I found that it had changed into Delaney's and was a great beer bar and I have been going there every visit. Basically, this place has played a part in my life for the past 40 years. Very sad to see this happen.

http://wtnh.com/2014/08/25/new-haven-pub-catches-fire/

sandman3479 and smutty33 like this.
  17. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

hopefully they sold out of gandi bot before it burned

Stum-pub likes this.
  18. ColForbinBC

ColForbinBC Poo-Bah (2,447) Sep 9, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

This is a bummer. Pretty much the first craft beer bar I frequented.

19. cheers55

cheers55 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut

My first beer bar also. They were trailblazers.

smutty33 likes this.
  20. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (334) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Past tense now, burned.

21. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2005 Connecticut

Like losing a friend- this hurts. They had good beer in New Haven before all he others. If you e been there you know there is no "replacing" it. If they rebuild the first order of business will be finding old stuff to put in it. Lets hope!

sandman3479 and smutty33 like this.
  22. KendallKid

KendallKid Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2014 New York

Was Great White the band ?
    Sorry totally tasteless
    Hope all are ok !!!!

23. Bigstein09

Bigstein09 Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2012 Connecticut

Don't live in CT anymore but I just heard about this. Delaney's was one of the first bars I ever went to. Sad day for SCSU students as well.

Stum-pub and sandman3479 like this.
  24. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2005 New York

I lived in new haven for two years for grad school. Used to love going for two for one craft beer happy hour on Fridays as well as free darts and wings. I even had the chance to go out drinking with rob and the New England guys one night after a final Friday party.

25. braugon

braugon Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Connecticut

First went in 91, this is a Westville tragedy!

26. Stum-pub

Stum-pub Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 Connecticut

So upset, college will now suck. No more happy hours in between/after class. Hopefully the cask of Coriolis at Prime will cheer some up.

27. ILOVESTOUTS

ILOVESTOUTS Initiate (93) Apr 13, 2006 Connecticut
    Trader

28. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Devotee (400) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

I've been meaning to visit Delaney's, and now sadly I missed my chance. The neighborhood lost not only what by all accounts was a great, old-school beer bar, but also a beautiful building that anchored the area (as far as I recall when passing through). While it will never be the same, I hope they rebuild both the building and the bar; and I hope that everyone who was displaced (Delaney's workers, as well as the residents upstairs) get back on their feet soon.

Stum-pub, smutty33 and sandman3479 like this.
  29. Blanco

Blanco Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Was very sad when I read this. Although I've only been there a handful of times, it was the first real craft beer bar I ever went to. Hopefully they rebuild better than ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.