Denver & Colorado Sanity Thread

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by travis224, Mar 24, 2020.

1. travis224

travis224 Initiate (180) Jul 24, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

So, not exactly sure what I want this thread to be about, but I thought it might be useful to have a thread where everyone can talk about how they're doing during the quarantine in a beer-adjacent fashion.

Sound good?

For me, I was doing okay until I heard that breweries and liquor stores have to close for two weeks tomorrow by 5PM. Then I saw the city reversed this and said that liquor stores can stay open. Not sure about breweries though--anyone have the scoop?

At least it lit a fire under my ass to go to some breweries for to-go beers--I've put it off all weekend. Planning on doing the same tomorrow.

So far I got

-4 pack of Scorn-TRVE
    -6 Pack of Cold-TRVE
    -32 oz of Stout-Baere
    -32 oz of C3-Baere
    -16 oz of Laughing all the Way to the Banco-Novel Strand
    -16 oz of Table for Drie (Our Mutual Friend & Finn's Manor collab)-Novel Strand

What about you guys? How's everyone doing?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  2. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (210) May 31, 2011 Colorado

I've been sick for eight days, and haven't had much beer. I've opted for sipping throat sanitizer. It works.

Bitterbill likes this.
  3. travis224

Trader

Be careful, man. This virus seems like it's no joke. Hope you're back in beer-drinking shape soon.

4. travis224

Trader

First beer cracked is Scorn by TRVE. I haven't had this in a while, and I have to say, it's a pretty unique beer. Billed as a West Coast Pale Ale on the can, it has a really interesting almost-sour or wheat undertone to it. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting from the WCPA style, but it's light and refreshing and his some real nice... I think, Mosaic hop presence. I like how these guys are consistently doing their own thing.

5. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (210) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Thanks! I've been lucky and haven't had it so bad, but it is still a kick in the ass.

SFACRKnight and Bitterbill like this.
  6. gyorgymarlowe

gyorgymarlowe Initiate (27) Aug 24, 2019 Colorado
    Trader

Sounds like an flavor. I always taste off flavors with TRVE's "clean" beers. Because of this I stick with their sours. I was really excited to try "Cold" but damn I struggled to get through a can. Too flabby for me.

7. TrveBrewer

TrveBrewer Initiate (32) Jun 13, 2014 Colorado

Sorry to hear that. Scorn definitely does have wheat in it. We ATP test all tanks before and after CIP (same with all processes including canning and kegging lines) and also monitor beer parameters on a lot of fronts (including a Cbox with pierce tester to also measure CO2 and DO levels in package...along with regular yeast monitoring and, of course, sensory). Nothing leaves the door without passing all of these things. If you could message me directly with more specifics, I’d be happy to address this further.

8. travis224

Trader

For real? I had a Cold last night--it's been a while--and thought to myself that it has to be one of the best lagers made in Denver, maybe the state, maybe the country. Seriously, it was that good. But to each their own. In terms of Scorn, to me it seemed like the slightly sour, wheat taste was what they were going for, not anything wrong with the brew itself. It's funny, I always go for TRVE's clean beers rather than their sours because I'm not the biggest sour fan, and I find their cleans to be pretty impeccable and super dialed-in. So, could just be a preference thing.

9. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,664) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I've been whittling through my Casey supply and picking up crowlers and cans here and there.
    So far I've picked up 3 from Comrade (Superpower, Spectre, and BA RedCon) and 3 from Station 26 (Oak IPA, Schwarzbier, and "Another Hazy"). Dry Dock's next on my list and luckily I can buy their cans at my local King Soopers along with Chambers and the taprooms.
    I have a stockpile of Dale's and Old Chub as well.

With Bierstadt rolling cans out pretty soon, that'll definitely be in the cards. A fresh Munich-caliber helles is something I need in my life. Especially one that doesn't require me to get on I70!

SFACRKnight, travis224 and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Domingo

Society

Right now Dry Dock has crowlers of helles (2016 GABF silver), Wee Heavy (2013 GABF gold), and 3 different classic BA beers available. Not to mention their normal cans, bottles of Bligh's, etc. Everything is pre-packaged so you can get in and out quickly, too.

Unrelated, I really like the Peach Juicy Banger. The peach flavor comes off like Nehi Peach soda. While not super legit fruity tasting, it's still delicious.

SFACRKnight, travis224 and ManBearPat like this.
  11. gyorgymarlowe

Trader

Could be a preference thing. I'm not an expert, but I do drink a lot beer, mostly lager, and for whatever reason TRVE's clean beers don't sit right on my palate. I'm not trying to say that that their beers are by fact flawed, I'm just expressing my own personal opinion. I give their cleans a try every time, but I don't know, like I said, they just don't work for me. I know that when I have visitors from out of town, I always take them to TRVE: the taproom has a great vibe, friendly bartenders, and the sours are on point.

12. gyorgymarlowe

Trader

Cans?! Where is there news on this? Also, if you haven't had The Bruery's Ruekeller Helles, it's really good! A little pricey, in my opinion, but it's high caliber and doesn't throw in any unnecessary ingredient curveballs.

13. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (81) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Also very interested in this news. If Slow Pour Pils is available in cans, the game is changed.

travis224 likes this.
  14. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (81) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Today, I had a new beer and an old standard -- but they're not what you might think.

The "new" beer was Weihenstephaner 1516 kellerbier. My first time trying it, but I really enjoyed it. A later that's light in color but with a bit of an amber hue and richer maltier taste, kind of reminded me of a weisn style beer. Thought it was a nice drinkable addition to this cold and socially isolated day.

And the old standard? A beer that has become a fixture in my fridge of late: Good River's Fu Fighter belgian strong golden ale. A dangerously drinkable big belgian beer that's smooth but with a lively estery body. Make sure to check it out!

15. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,924) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

First, I find out Funkwerks is canning

Next, I find out Bierstadt is canning.

Then, I realize I am no longer in Colorado and don't have access.

I do know what I will be buying next time I am up in Denver though, whenever that may be.

16. seniorshmently

seniorshmently Initiate (117) Oct 4, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

They have been posting on FB about it, including can art. Initially they were hoping to release them this coming week, but it sounds like the mobile canning service they were going to use has been delayed due to shelter in place.

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,394) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I hit burly last night and grabbed crowlers of the WCIPA, NEIPA, and pils. Had the west coast last night. It was ok, nothing to write home about. Looking forward to the hazy boi tonite as their NEIPA game is on point. I'm lucky in that I am essential and can go to work still. I'm still frustrated that I cant find groceries. If anyone is looking for meats hit up Sam's meat market in A town. They have a great amount of product in stock. Yall be safe out there.

18. Domingo

Society

The Stanley Marketplace has a pretty neat system going on right now. They have sectioned off parts of their parking lot for to-go orders from various businesses. We did some Rolling Smoke (good pork BBQ) and Cheluna Crowlers on Saturday. Pretty neat combo and were were in and out quickly and easily. There's also Misaki sushi, Denver Biscuit Company, Rosenberg's, and even Mr. B's liquor. Miette et Chocolat sells cookies and such through other restaurants, so desserts are available, too. Pretty neat gig if you're anywhere near there. With traffic being pretty light (and me being sick of being at home), driving around is no big deal right now.

travis224 and SFACRKnight like this.
  19. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poo-Bah (3,845) May 19, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

SFACRKnight likes this.
  20. travis224

Trader

Reminds me of Sierra Nevada labels. When is this happening????? I haven't heard anything more about it.

21. dauss

dauss Zealot (589) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Industry Brewery

I think Codi Canning has stopped canning during the shelter in place order

22. travis224

Trader

Latest run, I picked up crowlers from Counter Culture, their Doppelbock, Saison, and Hoppy Wheat beer. The Doppelbock was delicious and on point, though I'm not the biggest pro on that style. Got a crowler of Baere's Hoppy Brown ale, which is amazing, and a 4 pack of Novel Strand's Arbitrary Units, a small hoppy ale, as they call it. Haven't had the latter one yet, but Novel Strand's hoppy beers are always on point. I also got a mixed 12 pack from Prost. I'm drinking more than usual because of this virus, but all the beers I have are delicious.

ManBearPat likes this.
  23. Domingo

Society

Dry Dock's lineup is really strong/varied right now. I feel really fortunate they're so close. Helles, Franconian lager, Dubbel, Baltic Porter, and even fun stuff like the strawberry PB&J porter or watermelon/jalapeno Mysters. Not everything is totally up my alley, but they have a ton of good stuff.

Mebuzzard, SFACRKnight and travis224 like this.
  24. travis224

Trader

TRVE has a Vienna lager in cans right now, Starless Age. Can't remember it being on before but very excited to try it.

25. SFACRKnight

Trader

I haven't seen it in Cannes before, but it has been around almost as long as cold I believe. It just doesn't seem to be as popular I guess.
    Just as I expected, the crowlers from Burly we're pretty good. The hazy IPA was significantly better than they're West Coast APA. I still have the pilsner in the fridge for this weekend, I may try to smoke something else this weekend just to keep my head straight. I hope everybody else is doing okay out there.

ManBearPat, travis224 and Domingo like this.
  26. Domingo

Society

That's good to know. I really enjoyed that beer a lot. Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but they have a pretty massive delivery range. Well, at least they did. Supposedly the law is going nuts trying to tweak some of these things, so that might not be the case for long.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  27. SFACRKnight

Trader

@TrveBrewer

28. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (481) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I’ve been drinking a lot more than normal...

New to me is Picnic Rock Pale from H&D.. kinda reminds me of Hubert, but definitely a bit different. Their Dragon Fire BA Stout is absolutely delightful too.

travis224 likes this.
  29. travis224

Trader

Domingo likes this.
  30. Domingo

Society

I love Hogshead's attitude. Especially as of late. They've been early adopters of just doing whatever they can to stay afloat. I think their MO is to act now and make the law tell us we have to stop :stuck_out_tongue: Makes me really wish I lived closer, although at least I can get Gilpin crowlers at Comrade now.

Not sure how many people are aware of this beer, but you can now get Epically Strange in cans at the Epic tap room. That's a blend of Epic's BBB and Strange's Cherry Kriek. I don't think it has ever been packaged before, but it's a collaboration the two have been making for years. I've been a fan of it forever, so I put in an order ASAP.

Ratman197 and travis224 like this.
  31. SFACRKnight

Trader

Any idea if that kriek uses brett

32. TrveBrewer

TrveBrewer Initiate (32) Jun 13, 2014 Colorado

We've only actually brewed it a couple of times, and this was our first time scaling it up and canning it. I changed the recipe almost top to bottom after a trip to Germany last year.

33. Ratman197

Ratman197 Devotee (423) Aug 11, 2007 Colorado

No Cherry Kriek does not use brett.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  34. Domingo

Society

I haven't had this version yet, but the previous one reminded me a lot the Braunbier from Klosterbrau in Bamberg. The good version of it as they've been known to have quality issues.
    Not like it was a clone or anything, but there was just something very similar about it. My wife said the same thing. Unintentional or not, I thought it was really cool. Super unusual as well.
    Looking forward to trying this one either way. Love that the Stout and Tunnel made it to cans, too.

SFACRKnight likes this.