Denver Crushes World Beer Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Prospero, May 4, 2018.

1. Prospero

Prospero Savant (923) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

Anyone else see this? (sorry if I missed some)

Denver/Aurora:

Gold Vladislav Diebolt Brewing Co. Aged Beer 2018
    Gold Saison Trystero Our Mutual Friend Brewing Brett Beer 2018
    Silver Alternate Present Fiction Beer Co. Dark Lager 2018
    Gold Big Ben Brown Ale Bull & Bush Brewery English-Style Brown Ale 2018
    Silver Hickory Peach Wee Heavy The Intrepid Sojourner Beer Project Experimental Beer 2018
    Gold More Like Bore-O-Phyll Call To Arms Brewing Co. Fresh or Wet Hop Ale 2018
    Silver Razz Against the Machine Little Machine Fruit Beer 2018
    Gold Gueten Beer Sleeping Giant Brewing Co. Gluten-Free Beer 2018
    Bronze 18022/42 The Sandlot Brewery at Coors Field Smoke Beer 2018
    Bronze Bligh's Barleywine Ale Dry Dock Brewing Co. - North Dock Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer 2018
    Bronze Peacekeeper Launch Pad Brewery Session Beer 2018

Other Colorado Notables:

Silver Whacked Out Wheat Telluride Brewing Co. American-Style Wheat Beer 2018
    Silver Beehive Honey Wheat Bristol Brewing Co. American-Style Wheat Beer with Yeast 2018
    Bronze Pete's Stash Pale Vail Brewing Co. Australian-Style Pale Ale or International-Style Pale Ale 2018
    Gold Oud Bruin Funkwerks Belgian-Style Flanders Oud Bruin or Oud Red Ale 2018
    Silver White Rascal Avery Brewing Co. Belgian-Style Witbier 2018
    Gold Night Train Steamworks Brewing Co. Dark Lager 2018
    Bronze American Sour Ale with Guava Loveland Aleworks Fruit Beer 2018
    Bronze Peach Climacteric WeldWerks Brewing Co. Fruited Wood- and Barrel-Aged Sour Beer 2018
    Bronze Fearless Youth Grimm Brothers Brewhouse Munich-Style Dunkel or European-Style Dark Lager 2018
    Gold Trump Hands Cannonball Creek Brewing Co. Session India Pale Ale 2018
    Silver Scarlet Steamworks Brewing Co. Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer 2018

Domingo, ManBearPat, dauss and 3 others like this.
  2. Prospero

Trader

I missed the second Vail Brewing Co.
    Bronze Pete's Stash Pale Vail Brewing Co. Australian-Style Pale Ale or International-Style Pale Ale 2018

And Bootstrap
    Bronze Wreak Havoc Bootstrap Brewing Imperial Red Ale 2018

SFACRKnight likes this.
  3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,227) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

More like bore o phyl. Classic...:rofl:

tylerstubs and JakeT469 like this.
  4. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Aspirant (237) May 31, 2011 Colorado

Awesome. Maybe someday the beer scene here will be comparable to the amazing beer scene in New Jersey. Lord knows, beer is about the only thing in Colorado that could ever compete with New Jersey.

5. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Disciple (310) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

I really can't tell if this is sarcastic or not....

tylerstubs and SFACRKnight like this.
  6. Prospero

Trader

Name a brewery in New Jersey that's not Carton or Kane. I can't.

ManBearPat and Ispeakforthetrees like this.
  7. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (268) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Without looking, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Trenton Brewing Company (or something very similar). You are correct though, Carton and Kane would be the only 2 notable breweries from that state.

8. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (71) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

He's referencing that brosef on the forum a couple months ago who said its sad how little Colorado beer scene has progressed relative to New Jersey's. Which is just... L-O-fuckin-L.

9. rscot231

rscot231 Initiate (140) Mar 11, 2008 Colorado
    Industry

Flying Fish and Cape May come to mind.

drtth likes this.
  10. FarmerTed

Bingo, lol, that's the jughead I was referring to.

I remember 5+ years ago there was a d bag from nyc who insisted not only did they brew better beer in the city than in all of CO (when they only had about 4 breweries in the entire city), but NYC also had a better outdoor scene than CO. LFOL.

Prospero and SFACRKnight like this.
  11. rikarmstrong

rikarmstrong Initiate (71) May 14, 2015 Colorado

This is why I love the Colorado beer scene.

We don't need trade hype. We don't need neckbeards and hazebois (although they exist).

Our breweries just dominate competitions with beers we can get routinely at most good beer stores.

12. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,569) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Also High Point (Ramstein German Style beers) and The Ship Inn (for Real Ale on cask).

13. Knobs303

Knobs303 Aspirant (249) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado

We could do with a few less Neckbeards. :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: :rolling_eyes:

Prospero and SFACRKnight like this.
  14. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (392) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Yeah its really laughable how little cred we get here mainly because you can just go to the store and buy 80% of our best beer and the only line ya stand in is behind some cougar grabbing 6 big bottles of Yellow Tail.

#qualityoverhypemydudes

15. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (474) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

#15 Dan_K, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    SFACRKnight and FarmerTed like this.
  16. FarmerTed

Yeah, we're provincial fucks. Even Funkwerks clowns us with their Provincial series, but we're such a bunch of dumb hicks we don't realize it.

clusterfolk, Dan_K and ManBearPat like this.
  17. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,235) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

The B&B continues to kill it with their oft-forgotten normal line-up. People forget how good Big Ben and The Tower are.

Glad to see DD Bligh's get some love, too. The newer batches are as good as that beer has ever been.

Mebuzzard, Bitterbill and SFACRKnight like this.
  18. SFACRKnight

What really kills me is the only states that have more breweries per person are Maine Vermont and south Dakota. You have to kill it when your market is this saturated. But fuck it, let the haters talk their shit, they can go wait in line for toppling goliath garbage while I sip shelf turds that out class them all day.

ManBearPat, FarmerTed and Dan_K like this.
  19. Knobs303

Wonder what ever happened to What’s his Nuts, from NJ? Maybe he had to move back to the “Beer Mecca” of NJ to get some quality Brew. :stuck_out_tongue:

FarmerTed likes this.
  20. JakeT469

JakeT469 Aspirant (268) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

@Kayakjim16

21. beeeeeeeeeeeer

beeeeeeeeeeeer Initiate (55) Jul 3, 2010 Colorado

To be fair, there actually is a lot of quality beer in NJ right now. Just tiny places that no one knows about, especially in this corner of the world.

That guy was a douche though.

Yay Colorado breweries for cleaning up at WBC. Thought it was impressive that Funkwerks took gold for Oud Bruin! Gordon is a very good brewer though, so I'm not surprised in the least.

22. Knobs303

I know the guy was a “Homer” and most of us are guilty of that from time to time, but I got the sense that he was definitely lumping in Eastern Pennsylvania(Philadelphia) into his arguement for the Innovation that NJ was experiencing. Having spend some time around these types of “guys,” that sort of extremely centric mentality is fairly common. You can argue that Texans, Californians, New Yorkers, Chicagoans, Massholes, among others are also guilty of this type of behavior.
    Being originally from Central/Western PA, I love to follow the beer scene in and around PA, but I even have a hard time comparing the beer scene back there to Colorado. Granted, I’ve been out here for years and have been in and around the beer scene out here since 2001 and couldn’t name more than 10 breweries from my old stomping ground. That being said, we all benefit from this type of Resurgence and I, for one, can definitely applaud the craft expansion.

#22 Knobs303, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    ManBearPat likes this.
  23. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,235) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

Eastern Pennsylvania's lager game is on point. They're one of the few places that beats ours hands down. Considering them NJ isn't exactly fair, though. If they're doing that, I'm claiming La Cumbre and Melvin.

24. beeeeeeeeeeeer

beeeeeeeeeeeer Initiate (55) Jul 3, 2010 Colorado

Dude Neshaminy Creek is legit. Their rauchbier was a highlight for me a couple of years ago at GABF. And every other lager I've had from them has been crazy good.

25. SFACRKnight

Had that at GABF last year, what a terrible beer.

26. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (353) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

If I understand you, you seem to be saying Melvin is NOT from Colorado?!??