Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Great Britain Derby UK

Discussion in 'Europe' started by lewisti, Apr 17, 2013.

1. lewisti

Spending 2 nights in Derby City Centre 15-16 May and have researched all the nearby pubs but looking for opinions on the best ones worth a visit...staying at Hampton by Hilton near bus station thanks in advance...

2. Aye

Aye

3. Zimbo

Reluctant Scoop is just the man for this thread.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  4. Padraig

Beer Trader

If it says Buxton on the pump clip order it.

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  5. ReluctantScoop

Exeter Arms - about five mins walking upriver from your hotel - for Dancing Duck cask and Thornbridge/Magic Rock keg. And superb food.

Five minutes further upriver takes you to the Furnace Inn; great casks that the landlord sources himself along with the beers he brews in the back yard (Shiny Brewery).

Back towards the rail station, Brunswick (on-site brewery), Alex Hotel (next door to the Brunnie, Castle Rock beer + good guests + bottled beer. No bottled beer menu, just ask what they have).

Plenty more but that's the best of the best. Let me know if you want to meet for a beer. Zimbo will vouch for the fact that I don't bite ;-)

EmperorBevis likes this.
  6. EmperorBevis

Even I will vouch that Scoops is quite the charming fellow
    in person :p

7. ReluctantScoop

Just realised I've planned a wander around Derby pubs on Saturday May 18th... :(

If anyone else is interested, meet up at the Alex Hotel at 11am. Bimble upriver, sit outside a few pubs if it's sunny, end at the Furnace Inn for their own beers brewed on-site (Shiny Brewery) and hopefully the debut of their new import keg lines.

8. Zimbo

A ReuctantScoop guided tour is real treat. I can't recommend it enough. And if I was within 50 miles of Derby I would be there on the 18th.

9. lewisti

thanks very much for the tips...it is looking like our only opportunity for a pub crawl will be Tuesday afternoon and evening but it looks like there are many opportunities!

10. ReluctantScoop

If I can get out on Tuesday I'll buy you a beer.

Update on the Alex - they now have a bottled beer menu that has some of the choicer UK brewers on it (Beavertown, Summer Wine, Partizan etc) as well as a bunch of standard Euro fayre (Schneider, Jever, Rochefort etc).

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe