Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Des Moines BeerAdvocates...

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by DollCraftTrav, Sep 7, 2012.

1. DollCraftTrav

Hey all, just seeing who out there is from Des Moines. What is your beer of choice when you go out or stay in? Would love to get to know some of you fine folks.

2. Hawkharvs

No real beer of choice as I try and always have something different. I currently have way more NG Moon Man than anything else in my fridge.

3. JediMatt

Howdy. Pale Ales have been my go to for a while, but right now the craving for Oktoberfests has kicked in, so I have three or four brands of o-fest in my beer fridge at all times. :)

4. BikingDutchman

Just moved to Des Moines this summer, but I've always been in the area. Bully! Porter is my go to at home, but when I go out I like trying new things. (It's usually a spur of the moment decision)

5. DollCraftTrav

It's an exciting time here in Des Moines as far as the beer scene goes. Several new breweries and brew pubs have sprung up with Exile Brewing and Number 7 brewing already open and Confluence Brewing opening soon. Pair that with exciting beers that have passed over Iowa in the past, i.e. Stone Brewing, the future is bright!

Ejayz likes this.
  6. jlpred55

I mostly drink my own beers but when I am not I enjoy TG Beers, when I can score some from El Bait. I also enjoy much of the seasonals you all distribute.

tgchief likes this.
  7. DollCraftTrav

TG has a fantastic lineup of beers. Also, thanks for the support.

tgchief likes this.
  8. Ejayz

I love to go to Hy Vee or b\Beer Crazy and do mixed 6 packs. For me this is the best way to try a little of everything all at once. If I do buy a whole sixer though I stick with New Belgium,summit and I give lots of local love to Peace Tree. I also home brew so I have always have plenty of that in my beer fridge down stairs.

9. printer1

My beer of choice is Big Sky IPA. Retailers need to know about the best buy date on the bottle neck. Some either don't, or hope the consumer doesn't.
    Out, El Bait Shop for TG Golden Nugget, or if lucky, PseudoSue.

10. DollCraftTrav

I think people underestimate the importance of bottle dating on craft beer. Even with IPAs, the date is crucial to experience the brewer wants to share with the public. A lot of times it's up to the distributor to keep track of the code dates, not the stores.

tgchief likes this.
  11. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Just signed up for the BA forums a few days ago. I am from the Des Moines area and love drinking and talking about all kinds of beer. My recent go to beers have been any selection from Jolly Pumpkin I can find. Love their barrel-aged, bottle conditioned, brettcyanomes fermented beers! My top 3 styles are: Imperial Stouts, IPA/DIPA and Saison/Farmhouse.

Glad to see a DSM distributor posting on here! How does the process work about trying to get distribution in the Des Moines market for some regional breweries that we are missing out on (i.e. - Three Floyds, Surly, Schafly, etc)?

12. Roudy1

Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure that Three Floyds and Surly don't distribute hardly, if at all outside of their respective states.

13. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

According to Seekabrew.com (not accounting for accuracy of the site), Three Floyd's has full distribution in Indiana and Wisconsin, with limited/regional distribution in Illinois, Ohio and Kentucky.

And yeah, I know Surly doesn't distribute outside of Minnesota (sorta like New Glarus in that regard), but didn't know if beers from breweries like these was something a local distributor could "special order" or whatever? Not sure how that all works.

14. Roudy1

Beer Trader

Didn't know that about Three Floyd's. Thanks for the info!

15. Hawkharvs

My go-to beer is becoming Buffalo Sweat from Tallgrass. Aside from seasonal releases, this is what I've purchases the most. Its also really tasty and not too high abv (5%).

16. DollCraftTrav

I don't see Three Flyods and Surly in Iowa any time soon. Schafly, its a possibility but nothing in the future. Guys like New Glarus are content with staying in Wisconsin and I believe Surly is the same way. Once you expand, you must make sure you have the inventory to justify the move. If you enter a state and within a month from launch, you have out of stock issues, it really hurts the brand and at times they don't recover. It will be interesting to see who comes next...

17. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Agreed. I could see it being Lagunitas, which would rule. Maximus IPA all summer long would be fine by me.

Good insight into why some of those smaller, regional breweries don't want/need to expand their distribution. Plus, I guess for them, it keeps the "allure" of trying to score their beers high and therefore increases their appeal/popularity amongst fellow beer heads.

Looking forward to the eventual bottle distribution of Toppling Goliath and Confluence as well. Speaking of Confluence, they are releasing a new beer at their taproom today: No. 12 Rakau, APA. Will be interesting to see how Confluence evolves and what other styles of beer they hopefully branch out to.

18. Rob-P

I would love to see O'Dell and Oskar Blues in Iowa! Second on Lagunitas too.

I have only had small tastes of Confluence, but never actually ordered an entire beer. How is it? If anyone tries the new release, please post your thoughts.

19. Rob-P

Also, would love to see Ska. They literally have to drive through DM as they distribute in NE and IL!

20. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Yeah...it always seemed strange that Ska shipments go right through Iowa, but don't get distributed here. I would also love to see Odell or Oskar Blues in Iowa too. It's frustrating when those beers can be easily acquired just one state over.

Also, the only Confluence beers I've had are the Thomas Beck Black IPA and the Des Moines IPA. Both are pretty great. Not mind-blowing, but above average and up there with one of the better IPAs I've had from Iowa (that aren't TG of course).

21. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Also...a question that maybe DollCraft can answer. How is it that Zombie Burger (at least in the past when I've been in) has had beers from Bear Republic, but that brewery doesn't distribute in Iowa? At least that I've ever seen.

22. printer1

I e-mailed Ska about that. Told them if they just have the driver text me as they pass through Des Moines on I-80, I'll meet him and pick up a couple cases. That was part of a come to Iowa plea. It went unanswered. Ska has no sense of humor.

Rob-P likes this.
  23. Hawkharvs

Nothing to add, other than to agree how great it would be to have Odell and Lagunitas available here. Although I do feel they would probably somewhat take away from the growing local breweries that are starting to become more prevelant.

24. je1129

"schlafly" is in CR/Marion area sucka's. SCHLAFLY PUMPKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Roudy1

Beer Trader

Schlafly is in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area. It's weird to me that they don't distribute to DSM. And from what I've heard about Surly, they tried to do some out of state distribution but they had SO MUCH demand in the Twin Cities that they couldn't keep everything stocked.

26. mdwalsh

A few notes from what I "know" from outside of the state:

New Glarus will NEVER distribute outside of WI. They once tried to, into Northern Illinois, but were so dissatisfied with the distributor they decided to keep it in state where they had better control. When you're one product (Spotted Cow) is supposedly the number 1 draft beer and you can be the 30 something th largest brewer in the country with only one state, you don't need to expand.

Surly tried and will still occasionally have stuff on tap in WI/IL. No distribution. When I worked at a liquor store less than 70 miles from the brewery, we still often couldn't get stuff. The fact that it is now available in Albert Lea, Austin and Rochester says a lot. I think though with their new facility they will be attempting a larger distribution.

Lagunitas is building a new brewhouse in Chicago, Iowa should be on the list of expansion.

Some other brands that could be on the list, as I've mentioned before include Deschutes, and perhaps 21st Amendment out of San Fran since it is actually brewed in Cold Spring, MN (cans at least). Another brand out of Cold Spring we could see is 3rd Street Brewhouse...

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  27. Bond111

Beer Trader

Schlafly is or was available in Cedar Falls last spring if memory serves me correct. Only tried their IPA, but the Hy-vee Wine & Spirits was carrying a few different brews from them.

28. JediMatt

Yeah, the strongest rumors right now are Oskar Blues, Odell and Lagunitas. And of course, waiting for TG to hurry up and bottle. ;)

29. DollCraftTrav

In that order? Yes, I agree with the TG statement

30. Hawkharvs

Would take any order....all have great products!

31. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Agreed. If I had to choose an order, I'd probably go:

- Lagunitas
    - Oskar Blues
    - Odell

32. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Beer Crazy posted that they got 120 bottles of Hopslam in today on their Facebook at 11:15. Then posted again at 12:00 that it was all gone already. Goddamit.

33. JediMatt

I dont know if there's an order, Travis. Any/all of them would be welcome. :)

Yeah, I saw that Beer Crazy post. According to a couple of the Hy-Vee managers I talked to, they aren't scheduled to get any for a couple of weeks yet. Strange.

34. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

I went over to the Hy-Vee on Jordan Creek Pkwy/74th St in WDSM on my lunch break and asked if they had gotten in Hopslam in. All he would say is, "nope, not yet, but you are the 3rd person to ask today."

35. JediMatt

Hmm. You and I must work near each other. That's one of the ones I called today. Almost walked over there, but it's a bit chilly. :)

36. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

I work down the street from that Hy-Vee....on Westown Pkwy.

37. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Heads up to DSM BAs....

....on April 25th, El Bait Shop will be tapping a Firkin of Hopslam and that night will also be the party for Confluence Brewing winning the Beer Braketology, which means lots of free Confluence beers!

Oh...and Zombie Burger just tweeted that they just tapped a keg of Omnipollo Moebius IPA. That is the first time I've ever seen a Omnipollo keg on tap in DSM. Need to make it down and try that!!

BrettHead likes this.
  38. BrettHead

Damn, hopslam firkin...Oh, I might be coming to DSM this Saturday. BottleCaps80, do you know if El Bait Shop or anywhere would be cool with me opening a bottle (corking fee?). Maybe if I give them a pour :). Want to drink that King Henry with you if I come down.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  39. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Not sure about opening a bottle at El Bait or Keg Stand, but I will try and find out and let you know! That would rule and I would also bring something to share (Abrasive or something?). :)

BrettHead likes this.
  40. BrettHead

Yeah, let me know what you find out. Thanks!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe