Did Hop Drop n Roll Change?

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by humuloner22, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samtallica

samtallica Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

As much as I hate to say it, I do think it has changed. I've probably gone through three or four four packs in the past 2 months, all from different batches. I've also had it on draft a few different places. The aroma is not as intense as it used to be. I also get a buttery note from every single one I've had. Again, not sure if this is diacetyl or what. It certainly reminds of me of the buttery flavor I would get in some of my early home brews.

I hope these batches are just growing pains because it seriously went from being a one of my absolute favorite local beers to being something I buy hoping the last one I had was just off. Granted, it's not at all undrinkable. Far from it, actually, but I know it can be better! It is not the same beer that won gold at the Wold Beer Cup.

On a brighter note, the first run of Coco Loco cans are absolutely delicious to me. That'll be my go to NoDa beer for a while, which is perfect with the colder weather moving in.

2. dgfair

dgfair Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2004 North Carolina

I've been tasting the same thing lately. I don't know if it is diacetyl or if they are using a different hop bill to stretch the citra. Something has definitely changed. The malt bill also seems different. It's not the same IPA it used to be. The buttery flavor makes it much more difficult to drink than it used to be too. Tastes like a Hop Buttered Roll.

I still buy them fairly often hoping for a new/better batch like @samtallica but I'm starting to think twice about a beer that used to be an instant purchase.

3. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Noda kinda sucks lately it seems like.

4. samtallica

I completely disagree with that. I wasn't at the Monstro release, so I can't really comment on it (although I know there was a lot of bitching around here just like there is with any limited release.)

I think the HDnR issues are just growing pains. They've introduced a new process to the creation of that beer and just need some time to get it exactly right. I have faith it will return to its former glory. I remember the first few batches of it they brewed on the 15bbl system were kind of iffy but they were able to dial it in over time.

And like I said, I think Coco Loco is tasting better than ever.

5. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

I'm kind of just joking, but it does seem like there's been nothing but bitching about Noda lately on here. Whether that's warranted or not, I don't really know. But the ratings for Monstro are pretty low. I haven't had Coco Loco out of the can yet, but I don't like Jam Session or Cavu at all. So if HD&R has indeed gone downhill like people in this thread are saying, then their packaged lineup is looking pretty weak.

6. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Had October, and November batches, and haven't noticed any drop off in quality, the beer still kills.

7. samtallica

hahaha, what kind of world do we live in where an 87 (very good) is considered "pretty low?" I got the impression a lot of people bitched about the quality of the beer because they were angry about not getting any bottles. But again, I have not tasted it myself, so I can't form my own opinion of it.

I also enjoy Jam Session and CAVU quite a bit (although admittedly not as much as I once enjoyed HDnR.)

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  8. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Very fair point, I don't doubt that people's saltiness about the way the release went down has influenced a few ratings. And you're right, 87 probably shouldn't be considered "pretty low," but I think we all know that anything barrel-aged and limited generally gets a significant ratings bump on here just due to that. So to me, an 87 rating for this beer is "lower" than if it were say a year-round IPA rated at 87.

9. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

87 rating is a first world problem...

10. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Maven (1,413) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

Picked up some Hop Drop and a growler of Freak of Nature at the same place. No complaints about either.

11. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I love to be able to bitch about great local beer. Reminds me of politics.

12. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

I had Coco Loco tonight btw and straight up loved it.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  13. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Pooh-Bah (2,057) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I opened one last night, I think canned on 11/3, and it did have a slight diacetyl taste to it. I was hard to overlook, so I grabbed another beer. I have another can in the fridge, so I hope that one is like I remember it being.

BTW, Coco Loco is awesome!

14. samtallica

I had it on draft again this weekend and got no diacetyl whatsoever. It was super clean and delicious.

15. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Not every beer can be for everyone. You dont like it all that much, ok. Drink what you like then, sir.

16. trevord13

trevord13 Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2010 Virginia

I`ve also detected a slight diacetyl flavor in several of the cans I had from the 10/27 batch picked up prior to Monstro. I did not detect any off flavors while enjoying a draft at NoDa on 10/31.

The canned Hop Drop also seems at darker than draft. Possible oxidation issue with canning? Either way, I enjoy both, but do detect a difference.

17. dgfair

dgfair Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2004 North Carolina

I agree. I have noticed that the canned version is darker and cloudier than the keg version. I still like it too, but I think the kegged has been coming out superior lately.

18. CavemanRamblin

Deactivated

Is there any IPA in the world that is not at least a little bit better from a fresh keg than in a can or bottle? Not saying I don't agree with what yall are saying, but I'm pretty sure Hop Drop isn't alone in this phenomenon.

CBlack85 likes this.
  19. samtallica

Kegs settle out and since the beer is pulled from the bottom, they dregs get cleared out in the first few pints that are poured from it.

CBlack85 likes this.
  20. aleckpa

aleckpa Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

Maybe I don't have it as much as the rest of y'all, but I don't notice much of a difference. I guess I'd have to do a side by side. Still tastes good to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.