Did Hop Drop n Roll Change?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by humuloner22, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

Chemically, this shouldn't happen.

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,628) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Bestway has a fresh canning on the floor now, the first since August. I just can't throw $12 at this one. It's not a hop or malt problem as far as I can taste. I've never ever had a "bad" IPA, I've had old stock, malt forward , but the last HDR was the first BAD ipa I've ever had. I poured it out kinda bad, undrinkable.

3. samtallica

samtallica Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

What do you mean? A beer shouldn't oxidize within a few weeks? I beg to differ.

4. mcd432

mcd432 Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2015 North Carolina

Tried a can from a 12/29 batch tonight. Much better than the prior canning (I believe it was 12/14?) which, to me, had some odd lemon-like taste. Seemingly, NoDa has come to realize that they need to get HD&R back to some very close semblance of its distant self.

5. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

It shouldn't. Not unless it is exposed to more air, which shouldn't be possible in the cans. Other than the permeation through the can walls (which is next to nothing), the only oxygen in there should be the oxygen introduced before and during canning. By the time it leaves the brewery, all oxygen in there should be solubilized. Now, there are other chemical reactions than can be occurring in there after a couple weeks. It is really hard to tell without a chemical analysis, which I hope is something NoDa has considered.

nc41 likes this.
  6. samtallica

I think that's exactly the problem. Large amounts of oxygen is being introduced at some point before the beer is packaged. They started having issues late in 2014 when they started centrifuging the beer prior to packaging. I can only assume that is the culprit.

7. Apellonious

Apellonious Meyvn (1,470) Oct 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Just cracked open a 12/29 can, and I am happy to report its pretty tasty, and free of any of the "buttery" issues I encountered back in late 2014/early 2015.

rgordon likes this.
  8. DWheeler379

DWheeler379 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2012 Colorado

I am waiting for the new brewery batches to be canned with their own new canning line before I trust it again. And that may take a batch or two to really dial in (I know they've been testing batches at the new facility and I believe kegging Jam Session). Not sure on Hop Drop. I think the new system gives them more control and the canning line should allow less oxygen than the mobile unit.

9. samtallica

Are they having issues with the new brewery? It's been online for a few months now, I would imagine they're brewing all the core beers there at this point.

10. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

They are brewing and canning at N tryon. Hop Drop started canning there on 11/23.

11. NoMoreBeerBelly

I went to the new tap room on Saturday for a birthday get together and decided to try a Hop Drop at the source. Typically when I am there I usually try seasonal's as Hop Drop is widely available throughout the city. Ugh. It was bad. Like real bad. It tasted worse than some of the old Sam Adams IPA I have in the fridge left over from a party. It tasted like an old malty mess with no nose, just bitter. This is first time ever that I had it off on draft. It even left a bad taste in my mouth the whole ride home and had to wash it away with some canned 1 day old Birdsong Honey Pie (which was worlds better).

The Par 4 IPA tasted as good as ever as did the other two beers I had at the brewery were equally good. But Hop Drop, what have they done with you?!?

PS - Why aren't they canning Par 4 IPA? That is a perfect session pool/tailgating beer. They should rename it "Keep Pounding IPA" after the Panthers win the super bowl and release it in cans immediately next Monday!

ILMbrew likes this.
  12. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

So I will bump this up. I had a hop drop on draft in charlotte last month. Sadly it has changed very much. It is very one note and leaves an off putting after taste. IMO. I was left half of the pint on the table sadly.. I miss the original Hop Drop.

13. samtallica

I have tried it again a few times recently and they appear to have worked out the issues with off flavors. That doesn't mean it has returned to its former glory, but at least it doesn't taste like butter or cardboard anymore. To me it's a drinkable (albeit overly bitter) IPA. I don't seek it out anymore but don't mind ordering the occasional pint or buying the occasional 4 pack. My new go to canned Charlotte IPA is 3C.

Yaoverstand likes this.
  14. cmmatt

cmmatt Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2011 North Carolina

They are going to be canning Par 4, FYI. Pretty soon actually...

15. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Place where I work had it on draft recently and I agree, very overly bitter. Almost astringently so. It hurts my soul when people are like "All right, you've got Hop Drop on! I've never had it before!" *sigh*

16. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (152) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

Sorry to jack this thread. I am heading to Charlotte for a wedding this weekend. Is NoDA worth checking out? Is there any where in Charlotte to score Wicked Weed bottles? I'll be bringing down a couple 4-packs of Heady and Sip of Sunshine if there's anyone who hasn't tried and wanted to set up an IP. Hoping for Sunshine and warm weather, which we haven't had in Vermont at all this spring.

17. 94teggy

94teggy Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2015 South Carolina

Salud in NoDa. They always have a pretty good assortment of WW stuff whenever I stopped in there. Jason (the owner) is good people, super nice guy and always helpful. They usually have a decent taplist as well and I belive will do crowler fills of everything on tap.
    http://www.saludbeershop.com/beer-list/

Another good one is Good Bottle Company. It's in close proximity to Sycamore, Lenny Boy, Wooden Robot, 3C, etc, basically most Southend CLT breweries are a lightrail ride away.
    http://www.goodbottleco.com/

18. NoMoreBeerBelly

Absolutely it's worth checking out. I suggest the North Tryon location if the weather is nice (much nicer outside area, plus more handles).

19. ajthegreat

ajthegreat Initiate (152) Nov 11, 2010 Vermont

That's perfect man. Thanks for the info. I will def check them out on Sunday.

20. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,086) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Check with Michael at Brawley's on Park Rd. He will fix you up nicely.

wolfeman007 and scottdills like this.
  21. aleckpa

aleckpa Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

I just got a growler fill and it's awful. I don't know why I continue to purchase it. So malty and overly bitter.

22. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (428) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

Interesting. I had it on tap yesterday and it tasted way better to me than it has in a while. Perhaps the key is to drink a Birthday Bomb and Or Xata first. :wink:

23. nc41

Society Trader

I can understand getting off track after going to a centrifuge, but really being off for two years? This used to be a great beer, fully as good as the big NE heavyweights, I traded 1:1 with HT many times. Now it's just a mess, not just off a bit but off by a lot. The last cans I had were just bad beer, not just overly malty or overly bitter, but unpleasant to drink. Single days old too. You would think that the Brewer knowing the old receipe could and would duplicate that. It's well beyond hop blends thst make this a bad beer, I've had great beers using just about every hop you can think of we all have. So you can't blame it on a lack of Citra or adding a new hop.

24. Johntomk

Johntomk Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Tennessee

I was in Asheville this weekend for my bachelor party and had Hop Drop on tap at the Thirsty Monk. It was nowhere near the same beer. There was very little citra hop presence. It was mostly just bitter and had a soapy taste. I was very disappointed.

25. Yaoverstand

Yaoverstand Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2015 North Carolina

Does anyone from noda browse these boards? I find it hard to believe that no one has brought it to their attention...and if so, that they dont care...

nc41 likes this.
  26. nc41

Society Trader

It's common knowledge this beer has changed dramatically, so I'd guess the later.

27. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Aspirant (224) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

FYI, been drinking 7/5/16 batch the last few weeks and it's been very nice. Anyone else try these?

hooligan74 likes this.
  28. hooligan74

hooligan74 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 North Carolina

Been drinking it regularly all summer, and since they started brewing it, honestly, and I've never had a "bad" one. I've also never noticed any change pre or post centrifuge, gold medal or any of that.

andyctree likes this.
  29. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina

I just returned from a weekend trip to Charlotte and loaded up on a bunch of beers. I drank a WW Pernicious first and just cracked opened a HDnR. Pernicious (dated 7/8/16) blows the fresher HDnR (7/18/16) out of the water. I detected a slight buttery taste and the finish was bitter. Even the smell wasn't very appealing. Pernicious, on the other hand, was still fantastic!

OldManMetal, aleckpa and Bfairhurst74 like this.
  30. abb610

abb610 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina

Yeah, when I first had HDnR I thought it was too bitter for my tastes and I wrote it off. There was the "magic period" when the tropical aroma and flavors shined and the bitterness backed off a bit (when they won wcob). Then the changes happened and it tasted like it did when first released. It kills me that NoDa won't own up to the fact that it was a world class beer for short lived period. I asked one of the reps about it earlier this year and I got a very sassy response. She sternly said nothing had changed and I agree nothing may have changed from the original recipe but there were those few months when it was outstanding. Clearly the color, aroma and flavor have been inconsistent and one would not have to be a beer geek to recognize these drastic differences. It is insulting to be told that I/we don't recognize these changes. I still buy a four pack every 3-4 months in hopes that it has been brought back to the level it was in 14'. Every time I buy a four pack, 3 cans end up on the guest/bottom shelf of my fridge. At least for Noda's sake, the masses that buy HDnR at Harris Teeter and Total Wine don't know any better. Congrats to them on selling as many barrels as they do, I love to see them do well. I just don't love people trying to deceive me.

#270 abb610, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  31. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina

I have asked Noda reps numerous times over the last 3 years about hop drop. Every time they act like I'm nuts and act like it tastes the same as it always have. I have drank this beer over and over and there's no way it's the same beer. It is a shadow of what it used to be. The nose is not the same and it has this huge malt taste that wasn't there before. There has been talk about how they haven't been able to secure the contracts for enough citra to brew this beer. I agree with others that it's way past time for Noda to admit the beer is not the same or make it how it used to be made.

abb610 and Immortale25 like this.
  32. abb610

abb610 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina

Ive heard the same thing in regards to citra allocations and their solution of using a hop centrifuge to help offset not having enough citra to make the beer properly. Im sure that they have found themselves in a hell of a spot. Either make fewer batches correctly throught the year OR turn a small business into a big business by selling a world renowned can with inferior beer in it. That logo and empty can have provided them with the tools to build a yuge new brewery and put some money in their pockets. I can't say that I don't blame them for this business decision. However, it seems like whenever anyone asks about it, you get this Donald Trump bullied response of "Im right, youre wrong and you don't know what you are talking about" We can see through this deception and we dont like it.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.