Different Uses For Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PapaGoose03, Aug 8, 2020.

1. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,833) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

A few days ago I put out my slug traps near my tomato plants. My version of these traps uses beer as bait, and it works very well. (I got 10-12 of them the first night.) The slugs aren't picky so I only use cheap beer for this.

It got me wondering if anyone has other uses for beer, and I mean beyond using beer in cooking, etc. I've read that beer is good for shampooing hair, but I've never tried it, nor have I ever known anyone who has. Can anyone here vouch for it, and what is the benefit? (If it makes hair grow back, I'll start tomorrow!)

Any other unusual uses for beer?

BillAfromSoCal, KRug, eppCOS and 15 others like this.
  2. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,140) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Saw a video once of a guy building a brick wall and using a glass of beer as a level.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,695) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yeah, but what happens once he finishes off the beer!?!:confused:

Cheers!

4. JackHorzempa

Society

Do you like to bathe?

[​IMG]

P.S. I would not recommend you 'dip' to fill your mug but entirely your choice here!:stuck_out_tongue:

5. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,140) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, hopefully he brought enough beer to finish the job, though this might lead to problems being steady enough to read the level correctly.

Chipotle, Amendm, GreenBayBA and 3 others like this.
  6. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (187) Nov 5, 2019 Canada

It attracts wasps, assuming you’re interested in attracting wasps.

ilikebeer03, adrock314, KRug and 17 others like this.
  7. JackHorzempa

Society

Gee whiz! There always seems to be a catch.:wink:

Cheers!

Amendm, GreenBayBA, Junior and 2 others like this.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,776) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

9. PapaGoose03

Society

Eeeewwww!! I wouldn't even use free beer for that!

10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,093) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Besides shampooing (as is often mentioned when the topic comes up, there was even a commercial beer shampoo, BODY ON TAP), it's also good for "setting" hair.
    I remember my mother using beer to set my little sister's hair. In the car - a '55 Ford - on the way to visit relatives in the Catskills; she'd dip a comb in a glass of beer (Schaefer - The One Beer to Have When You're Doing Your Kid's Hair) while little Ahmnot* sat next to her on the bench seat.

* Yeah, my sister's maiden name was Ahmnot Kidden

You'd think a certain Canadian brewer would jump on this usage.
    Use Moosehead Beer instead of hair mousse...

I always mention that when I first started researching "Beer" in pre-internet era, using "Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature" (of which most every library owned many of the annual editions) and then going to the microfilm/microfiche of the cited magazine or newspaper (of which only a good library would have many of the publications) it seemed most of the articles on "Beer" for decades were about using beer as slug bait in the garden! :grimacing:

Some kids threw out a bunch of beer cans along w/12 pack cardboard boxes a few years ago at the corner of my street. Every time I'd drive past them I'd think:
    "Gee-Zus, if I lived there, I'd pick up those cans - What's that asshole who lives there think it's the town road department's job?"
    So, one day I stopped and picked them up - Miller Lite and Coors Light, IIRC. And they were all full!
    FREE SLUG BAIT FOR LIFE! ( or, at least, a few years!)

#10 jesskidden, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    lastmango, KentT, impending and 21 others like this.
  11. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (562) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Colonists used beer as a replacement for water...

tzieser, eppCOS, Chipotle and 8 others like this.
  12. PapaGoose03

Society

Ummmmm....

KentT, tzieser, eppCOS and 7 others like this.
  13. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (131) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Light beer is good for dumping down the drain.

14. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (130) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

You can cook with beer. I’ve used beer as a base for marinades, as a stock for stews, and a means of deglazing if I don’t have vinegar. You can also use it in a batter on fish or chicken. Personally I’m quite interested in learning more recipes including beer.

eppCOS, SFACRKnight, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  15. Amendm

Amendm Champion (858) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I've used Beer in sautéing, in place of wine. Dry Beers are best for this, great for deglazing too.
    Cheers.

eppCOS, Scrapss, SFACRKnight and 5 others like this.
  16. zid

zid Meyvn (1,221) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I appreciate the layers of humor you've put into this, but the most interesting thing about it is holding a glass of beer in a car.

17. PapaGoose03

Society

Too bad that it doesn't serve as a drain opener too. I'd buy it then.

18. PapaGoose03

Society

I stand corrected on using the 'aren't picky' description. I got a dozen slugs that first day, and then none yesterday. So I changed out the beer last night and had a dozen and a half of those critters this morning. Turns out that they must prefer fresh beer.

19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,927) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

The problem with using just cheap beer is you end up missing the few snobby snails who only care about the latest hazy IPAs ... You've got to have a hipster trap serving the latest hazy.

20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,093) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Things were different back then... (lots of things). And it was probably only about 2/3's of glass. (Lousy shocks on that old Ford). I remember the comb in the beer and neither a bottle or a can would have allowed for the job to be done. Well, not until Rheingold's Chug-A-Mug came along a few years later.

Here's Mom with one, by the way.
    [​IMG]
    (And, no that hair-do's not a result of Liebmann Breweries, Inc.'s product, pretty sure that's just Aqua-net).

21. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (572) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

So they're BA posters?

KRug, eppCOS, Chipotle and 2 others like this.
  22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,580) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Paging @TheIPAHunter. I believe he has the 4-1-1 on this.

23. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,580) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

All BA posters are slugs, but not all slugs are BA posters.

KRug, eppCOS, CDBeerDisappear and 9 others like this.
  24. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,245) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Pancakes

Conversation starter (e.g., BA forums)

Photo ops (BA forums, again)

...and more...

eppCOS, SFACRKnight, Chipotle and 5 others like this.
  25. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,567) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I heard you could de ice roads with it

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  26. PapaGoose03

Society

There are some interesting uses in that article. I especially like the one using beer to green up the brown spots in the lawn. I think I'll try that.

SFACRKnight and beergoot like this.
  27. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,065) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I always have an old beer or 3 that I dump into a glass to catch fruit flies in the kitchen every summer and fall. Also use them for beer cheese soup, if that counts.

SFACRKnight, MrOH and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. PapaGoose03

Society

That fruit fly trap is also mentioned in the article above. It seems that beer is good for many things involving consumption by critters.

WesMantooth likes this.
  29. matthewp

matthewp Aspirant (226) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

That brings back great memories of my grandfather. I used to help him in his garden when I was a kid and he also used beer in his slug traps (this is back in the 70's). He'd also use milk cartons with the top and bottom cut off to keep the cutworms away from the plants (buried with the tomato stalk in the center of the carton like a little tomato fortress). I'm pretty sure he gave me my first taste of beer. Gardening might be the only good thing I learned from him other than life is better with beer. I did also learn what electricity feels like, he used to patch his extension cords with whatever he had laying around; even having prongs on both ends for some of them. Anyhow thanks for bringing back some great memories (well mostly great, grabbing a live wire wasn't really that fun).

30. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,286) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

If you homebrew and have farm animals, the leftover yeast and trub (as long as you don't dry hop) makes for good pig, goat, and cattle slop feed. Spent grains are also good for these, as well as birds (chickens, geese, turkeys, guinea fowl, etc.) and horses/donkeys. Freshness is important on both of these; if it goes sour, they won't touch it.

31. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (417) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Deactivated

You can turn it into whisk(e)y

eppCOS, SFACRKnight, Chipotle and 3 others like this.
  32. HoppingMadMonk

HoppingMadMonk Poo-Bah (1,942) Mar 3, 2017 New Jersey
    Society

I forget which one but a brewery in Pennsylvania used the leftover grains a d made dog treats out of the stuff. My dog thought they were tasty

33. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,286) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

If you look at the recipes for spent grain dog treats, there are only so many dog treats you can make from a batch of beer before you're a dog food company and not a brewery.
    I could keep all of the dogs in my neighborhood happy for a couple of months with dog treats made from the spent grains of a single 5 gallon batch of homebrew.

34. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (562) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I'm wondering if there's any Youtube videos of some guy/gal getting a whale only to use it to water their lawn

SFACRKnight and PapaGoose03 like this.
  35. PapaGoose03

Society

Like lighting a cigar with a $20 bill? That's just showing off regardless that the beer would make the earth worms happy. :wink:

Speaking of that, I got an earth worm in one of my slug traps overnight (along with a few slugs). Never had that happen before. :slight_frown:

36. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (78) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Memory flash: when I was at law school, our 1L Moot Court problem involved the plaintiff suing a brewery because she used their beer as shampoo - which they had advocated in their advertising - and suffered personal injuries. So it can be used as shampoo, it seems.

37. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (572) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I guess mustard is better made with craft beer than with Bud.[​IMG]

38. PapaGoose03

Society

I've been using Stroh's (Milwaukee version) for this ($6 for a 6-pack of 16-oz cans) for my traps but I was close to running out. My wife was going shopping yesterday so I asked her to pick up some cheap beer, and she came home with a 6-pack of Bud because she wants to make beer bread and didn't want something too cheap. I might try hazy IPAs or NEIPAs next to see what happens.

Freshness seems to be important, but for your additional reading amusement/amazement it was too much of a temptation to compare the Stroh's with the Bud in the two slug traps, so I did. (It was time to change out the stale beer again last evening to keep freshness in mind.) (But first I compared them myself, and the Stroh's was far and away better than Bud.)

So the results are in this morning, and the score? Bud = 4 and Stroh's = 5 (plus a spider and a couple 'pill' bugs). So the slugs agree with my taste buds. But, FYI, there were many gnats floating on the Bud but none on the Stroh's. Does that mean gnats are dumber than slugs. I didn't think that was possible. :stuck_out_tongue:

eppCOS, MrOH, officerbill and 2 others like this.
  39. Chipotle

Chipotle Aspirant (206) Apr 23, 2017 New York

I used to use beer for slug traps. I read that slugs can smell beer from over 100 yards. I began to wonder if I was just attracting all the slugs around to my garden. They could just as well stop off and eat young bean plants on their way to the beer. Now I use scraps of copper screen wrapped in a cylinder around the base of the plants and run a strip of copper around the raised beds. Slugs and snails simply don't like to touch copper. (Sorry for veering off.)

eppCOS, MrOH, SFACRKnight and 4 others like this.
  40. PapaGoose03

Society

I sometimes wonder the same thing - that the beer attracts the slugs from the neighbor's yard, etc. I only have tomato plants that need protection so I don't worry about any other plants nearby. I've never heard of the copper trick, so I might try it next year. I've heard that coarse sand at the base of plants is also a deterrent, but both of those methods do not kill the slugs like the beer does. (Had to mention the 'beer' to keep this thread conforming to site posting rules. :wink:)

MrOH and Chipotle like this.