Difficulty searching BeerAdvocate

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by VacheronVoisin, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VacheronVoisin

VacheronVoisin Initiate (9) Nov 18, 2021

One of the reasons why I decided to join as a member was so I could write a review; it was easy for me to find what beers I was drinking even before I joined. Long before I joined, I would often find beers and read their reviews effortlessly. But as soon as I joined all of that just vanished.

Now I can't look for a beer at all unless I'm logged in. Which doesn't sound like a big deal but it never works the first time, I have to search a few times for the beer to appear in the results. It's almost like things were a lot better before I joined. I don't know if this is some sort of glitch, all I know is it sure makes things more difficult and less convenient.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  2. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,138) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Hm may need more detail here. If you are searching for a beer, sometimes it can be a little unforgiving if you fat finger the name, so you can try searching by brewery. Also you need to pay attention to where you are when you are searching and which search you use. For instance on this page there are 2 searches, one up by your name in the upper right and one to the right of your post that says Find a Beer. The upper one is for forums, the one to the right of your post will search the beer database. When you are on the beer pages, the upper one will also search for beers. Does this help or are you having a different issue?

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,475) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I think the timing of your joining is also a factor. I think the ability of non-members to search for a beer was recently removed so that you have to join BA now to use that function.

4. Todd

Todd Founder (6,632) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Correct. Searching now requires users to be logged in, but that's the only thing that changed with searching.

5. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,759) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Down with lurkers. Join BA.

meanmutt, Peach63, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  6. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Disciple (328) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

Glad you have joined. You had many with , " I could write a review" . The Find a Beer option should help you enjoy , rate, & review many great beers.

Shanex likes this.
  7. VacheronVoisin

VacheronVoisin Initiate (9) Nov 18, 2021

Ah, that explains it. Makes a lot of sense now. Thanks.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.