Divine Reserve 13

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by JohnBender, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houston_E89

Houston_E89 Aspirant (263) Sep 10, 2012 Texas

Yep! - Same here man!

2. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

I've got plenty, so I'm looking forward to drinking more and hopefully being wrong.

champ103 likes this.
  3. Texsuds

Texsuds Aspirant (286) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

3-4 cases out at HEB Far West.

4. tasteslikefrog

tasteslikefrog Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 Texas

Finally got to crack into one of my two bombers a buddy got for me while at work.
    Enjoyable beer for sure, and i agree with what others say. A large beer indeed,
    not used to such a big beer- but i could tell it was quality! loved the dark fruits!
    The 3 reviews seem damn good so far, even though i couldn't read one..

5. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,714) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

We all have our opinions, if its not for you then that is fine. I for one love it. My review coming soon.

Danielbt, cfh64 and greenspointexas like this.
  6. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Disciple (379) Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I'm not a huge Quad fan, but holy hell this beer is extremely drinkable. Like others have said very "fruity". I kind of feel like I'm getting my daily dose of fruits.

Houston_E89 and champ103 like this.
  7. Danielbt

Just finished my second, and it was a different experience from the first. Definitely got dark fruits this time. I did make sure to let it warm up a bit more, which pulled up a little more booziness as well, which endeared it to me even more. Also was working on the garden all day yesterday, so I may have been a bit clogged up. Stupid dirt.

Prost!

Ford, Houston_E89 and champ103 like this.
  8. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2012 Texas

Enjoying my first, and I am a big quad fan. Very yummy! Might have to try and track down MORE.

9. Houston_E89

I think I might try and find another 6er for myself as well.

10. Daemose

Daemose Devotee (426) Oct 3, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Dark Fruits. Dark Fruits. Dark Fruits!

11. ChanceK

Prob my favorite American made quad, and above some other notable foreign quads.

12. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Unsure if ill get any, but if i dont, you guys that get tons, ill take a sixxer ;)

13. kmello69

kmello69 Defender (618) Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Specs RR has 8 cases. Get your lazy ass over there! :)

14. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Just so yall know ...while having my second D13 I was prepaing to grill chicken thighs that had been marinating all day and I was going to make a butter BBQ sauce mop for them. After tasting this delicious beer I decided to not drink 6oz of one bottle and added it to my chicken thigh BBQ mop. Let me tell you ,... the maltiness and the fruity flavors of this beer make the absolute best bbq chicken thigh mop of all time. Say what you will but we dined tonight and it was awesome .. and I drank two more bombers on top of it .. .all time good night. :D:D:D

15. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Disciple (379) May 17, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader Subscriber

I like the idea of this A LOT. Maybe I'll get another six-pack if I see one.

16. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Im telling you man the flavors work PERFECT for a mop .. unreal flavor on the coals with this mop .. seriously good.
    Hope you enjoy.

Houston_E89 likes this.
  17. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Texas

It's not exactly Rochefort but its pretty good and drinkable for a lot less money than the top quads out there.

18. Danielbt

After a few, I'm going to say that it's on par with Sixth Glass for my favorite domestic Quad. I vote for this to be a full-time beer.

Houston_E89 and Ford like this.
  19. Houston_E89

Believe it or not, This is the first Belgian I've never drain poured - I couldn't stand Rochefort 6, 8 or 10, La Fin du Monde, etc.

Delirium Tremens and DR13 are about the only ones I can hang with - I'm open to suggestions however on others.

20. Schmuck82

I guess it's just different personal taste. Have you tried St. Bernardus?

21. Danielbt

St. Who?

13DegN, NiceFly and rainerschuhsler like this.
  22. Danielbt

Kidding aside, St. Bernardus Prior 8 is the first beer that completely blew my mind. Then, Abt 12 splattered my brains on the wall.

videofrog likes this.
  23. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (471) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Bernie :D

24. Houston_E89

Nah, never had the pleasure - can it be found here in Houston?

25. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

WHAT WHAT WHAT.

13DegN and mrkmrk like this.
  26. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Like all quads, this just isn't my bag. It got better as it warmed and it certainly wasn't bad, but I feel no reason to rave about it.

27. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

Anywhere in Austin got this on tap? I'd really like to try it, but I'm not too keen on buying a 6-pack.

I'm kinda a quad snob, so I get the feeling the entire time I'm drinking it, even if it's exceptional, I'm going to be thinking about how much Rochefort 10 I could've bought, lol.

icetrauma likes this.
  28. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Texas

Looking at the majority of the reviews, I wonder if it's a great beer but just deviates from the traditional style. It looks like, for the most part, quad snobs think it's meh to ok while those who don't normally have quads as a go-to style appear to love it. I'll probably end up with 2 6'ers and a couple of bombers and have no problem handing off a bottle or 2 to you if you can't find it on tap.

29. videofrog

videofrog Defender (643) Nov 13, 2010 Texas
    Subscriber

I was curious if this comparison would surface. I'm a huge fan of both Sixth Glass and BBQ. Outside of those two and Ommegang 3P, can't say that I've enjoyed an American quad. Looking forward to this one.

30. blatherbeard

Tell that to those friggin whiney ass uverse customers. ;)

31. crusian

crusian Crusader (737) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

not a huge fan of Quads. Think westy is as over rated as pliney, but appreciate a well crafted beer. This one is ok. nothing worth raving about by any means. but decent. it would easily sit on shelves and never be bought for this price if it wasnt a divine reserve... and then they would discontinue it due to lack of sales, imo.

AlonCicerone and boogercrack like this.
  32. kmello69

Beer Trader

Hey, I'm a UVerse customer!

33. blatherbeard

Yeah, but you dont live in my area and complain.

34. kmello69

Beer Trader

Wish I did - I'd get you to hook me up! :)

blatherbeard likes this.
  35. Schmuck82

Ya, lots of places.

36. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2011 Texas

I will probably try this at Draught House tonight... Along with a certain other special baby, if they still have it. I'm curious what I'll think... I wouldn't describe myself as a quad snob, but I love St. Bernardus/Barnaby 12 and Rochefort 10, but thought that The Sixth Glass was a bit overbearing. Granted, I had it like a year+ ago, but still. Think I drainpoured the last two ounces :/.

37. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Texas

For tap, both flying saucer's seem to have it last I checked. Strongly suggest trying on tap, and then aging a bottle (they're literally all over the city in stores) for about 2-3 year minimum.

38. ChanceK

[quote="Lutter, post: 1098238, member:

I'm kinda a quad snob, so I get the feeling the entire time I'm drinking it, even if it's exceptional, I'm going to be thinking about how much Rochefort 10 I could've bought, lol.[/quote]

Yes, but $3 vs $6-7 for Rochefort 10 per 12 oz. is a nice trade IMO. It is missing some of the bready flavors I like in a quad, but I do enjoy it, and at 1/2 the price of a true Trappist I really enjoy it.

39. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Poo-Bah (2,472) Jun 14, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Seems to be plenty of DR13 around Dallas now. Total Wine and Spec's got theirs today, limits at both places.

40. HopAG

HopAG Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Any places in Houston that still have this in sixers? BM me with more info plz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More