Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Divine Reserve 13

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by JohnBender, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

I think Houstonites are going to have to start using the word "limit" instead of "allotment" if they're only gonna let ya have 2 6-packs.

Whatever. Kitty will just go to Kroger.

icetrauma likes this.
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Everywhere limits. Sad thing is this is made in numbers much greater than most production beers at other Houston breweries. The problem is that even people who hate beer go apeshit I've DR releases. Then they proceed to let the beer rot because, SURPRISE, they don't like it...

Ford and icetrauma like this.
  3. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

I'm planning on avoiding Specs downtown altogether. I usually hit up specs Montrose and then I'll swing by D&Q. Maybe hit up a Kroger on the way home if I know they have it. There should be a question you have to answer before being allowed to buy DR. Do you even beer advocate bro?

4. mattchow

mattchow Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

lol, nah, one bomber and one sixer are good enough for me for DR13, I will be buying multiples of the regular Hellfighter though.

5. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Aug 22, 2012 Texas

They should have to know what the style is. You don't know the style, no beer for you.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  6. Clonies720

I really want to get a full case of this and 2 bombers... Sounds pretty damn tasty.

7. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ditto

8. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

If you are talking about DR's, there has never been case allotments of this in Houston. 2 six packs (at least since 5, and at Specs). Specs Midtown always sells out within an hour, usually less when these are released. Even though they get more than anybody else in the state. Now with Hellfighter at the same time, they had to come up with something. Its going to be a mess there on Monday, and there is not a lot Specs can do about it.

9. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Jul 31, 2009 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

fify

FUNKPhD, BeanBone and greenspointexas like this.
  10. Lutter

What is this? Proper City Resident Name Advocate?

When I lived in Florida for college... people from Tampa would always get mad at me for calling them Tampons.

FUNKPhD and ChanceK like this.
  11. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Jul 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

pass, y'all have fun. I await the reviews stating this beer is "subpar" and "needs to age for awhile" and "omg wtf is floating in my bottle"

:eek:

12. Clonies720

I'm subscribing to twitter feeds in order to watch the butthurt roll right onto my phone. *gets a bag of popcorn ready*

13. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 May 10, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

It's actually pretty tasty for a domestically-produced quad.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  14. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I didn't hate DR12 and look forward to seeing what it turns into in another few months... I'm going to get my one six pack and a bomber hopefully of this one.

15. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Jan 16, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Just had DR 13 at Binnys and gotta say, its a pretty nice beer and even though its a little sweet for a quad, there are excellent roby tones and a pleasant astringent quality to it. Def. seek this one out

FUNKPhD likes this.
  16. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

lol

I live for Roby tones...

17. SeanLamb

SeanLamb Aug 29, 2011 Texas

Never say never... When DR 1 went on sale on Thursday November 3, 2005 I bought a case at a Kroger and went back for a second at the Clear Lake Specs. DR 5 was available on an end cap at the Kroger at 43rd and Ella a day after the release with no limits. It was even on sale.

But that was then. Monday is the future.

18. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Sometimes the fact that I hate IPA's and Belgians really works in my favor. This would be one of those times. :)

Enjoy the hunt, boys!

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  19. Lutter

Belgians are really friendly when you meet them in person.

BeanBone, Ford, Clonies720 and 2 others like this.
  20. Clonies720

Are the women really "friendly" too?

21. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I really like Belgian beers.. though the quad is probably my least favorite style... but I still liked Black Quad from Real Ale, so I really want to pick this one up to.

22. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Sep 10, 2012 Texas

I like you, Let me buy you a beer - Porter or Stout of course, Barrel Aged if possible.

With that said, I'm going to mule the living holy hell out of it - I might try one for myself but I'm not really hype... this is the Galaxy S4 of beers.

23. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Any time, my friend. :)

24. Clonies720

Can a brotha get a hellfighter?

I never got to try or even heard about BB hellfighter till it was too late :(

25. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Do you even BA bro?

UHCougar12 likes this.
  26. Clonies720

2 jobs and full-time school left me with little to no time for anything else. #hardknocklife

27. mmireles

mmireles May 18, 2005 Texas

I don't think I've ever gotten DR at Specs... just too much of a hassle. It's much easier to find at Kroger or HEB.

28. Clonies720

I think I'm going to be out of this hunt this year. Just spent $200 on my dog's medicine :( That being said, if I come across it at Kroger, I'll buy a 6 pack and a bomber.

Edit: Or if someone wants to trade IP for it, checkout the link to my cellar on my profile page here. Try not to pick the super nice stuff or do and I'll see what I can part with. :p

Double edit: I have some unlisted Gueuze and lambic inbound, as well as a bottle of Gregorius (the new trappist ale) coming soon hopefully

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  29. bccocx

bccocx Jan 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

E1G expects this either this evening or Monday morning

30. HoustonZ33

You have BM.

31. tjmodica

tjmodica Oct 2, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

DR5 was at that Kroger with no limits for 1 1/2 weeks I kept going back and going back and going back.

32. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Just hold out till Monday. This stuff is going to be in high quantities, and if you frequent a kroger or heb and the beer/wine guy knows you. Just ask now and I imagine they will save you a sixer.

33. icetrauma

icetrauma Sep 7, 2004 Texas

I'm hoping my HEB gets it. I'm working a day shift that day and can't partake in the festivities.

34. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I won't be able to hit a place until about 3-4pm...

35. HoustonZ33

You should be fine, they made a lot of it this time around.

36. ChanceK

ChanceK Feb 13, 2012 Texas

I'm pretty new at hunting for special releases, do they really sell out the day it's released?

37. champ103

champ103 Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

At Midtown Specs in Houston, and a handful of other places, yes. Not all.

38. ChanceK

ChanceK Feb 13, 2012 Texas

I'm in San Antonio, is it bad here, or mostly just the home town???

39. Lutter

This was still on shelves a month later in Austin.

In Houston, there's a lot of cats that will just go around buying as much as they can. Doesn't last long in the inner loop.

40. Ford

Ford Sep 8, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Hopefully my local HEB will have a limit.. if so.. I should have no problem getting it.. fingers crossed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe