DIY beer case

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beertunes, Feb 26, 2020.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,027) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

This is the longer version, but there's a 5 minute clip on FB. Wouldn't mind having one of these:

2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,168) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thats really nice woodworking, but for the vast majority of people there is no way they could do that themselves just based on the tools he used and clearly has in his shop.

Skabiski, beertunes and officerbill like this.
  3. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (767) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

I guess he did a good enough job. Found a way to make something larger, heavier, and more expensive than a cardboard box.

Maybe I'm just jealous since I barely have enough free time to take a dump at home. :rolling_eyes:

4. FBarber

Society Trader

But infinitely more reusable and better looking. :wink:

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,971) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

"DIY"? Why not just use the ones the breweries supply (after paying the refundable deposit)? That's what I do...:smiley:
    [​IMG]

6. Mister_Faucher

Mister_Faucher Savant (991) Dec 3, 2014 Washington
    Trader

There are a couple of berry farms up here that have similar carrying cases from the 50s that they still use at their "pick it yourself" fields. I dig it.

7. FBarber

Society Trader

Are those yours? They're beautiful.

8. jesskidden

Society Trader

Well, technically they're still the property of the breweries...:wink:

I think I've got a few others (and many more fiberboard and a couple plastic reusable cases that once held returnable bottles), those just happened to be on the same two shelves in that old pic of the cellar.

I usually hit them with some shellac after cleaning and repairing them. Sometimes touch up the lettering. And sometimes I regret the shellac. Oh, well.

I'm sure the purist would object but I use 'em in the beer cellar - they're not "investments" (never paid more the five bucks or so). Maybe my heirs will be annoyed if I ruined the collectable value, but more likely they'll just be tossed :astonished:

9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (535) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Silly me, I've just been using an empty cardboard beer case.

10. FBarber

Society Trader

I think it looks good with the touched up shellac. better to use them than just let them sit as collectible items - they were always meant to be used that way anyway. But thats just how I feel.

Edit: where do you find them? Yard sales? antique shops?

beertunes and Mister_Faucher like this.
  11. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, but flea markets, mostly. One of my favorite things is to find a nice old beer case full of books or electrical equipment or kids clothing and ask, "How much just for the box? I don't want the contents, just the box?" :grin:

One guy just couldn't get over it. "He wants to buy a box --- he just wants the box..." saying it over and over to no one in particular. I finally just told him, "Oh, a good friend of mine has the same name as this brewery - Horlacher - and I want it as a joke gift." That kind of calmed him down.

12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (632) Mar 28, 2009 California

That’s a lot work for a box. Probably more economical to just buy one then buying a table saw.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. Skabiski

Skabiski Defender (617) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

A lot of what this guy makes looks impractical and costly, but I really like his craftsmanship.I have seen a few of his vids and his skills are amazing to someone like me who's all thumbs!

FBarber and beertunes like this.
  14. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,027) Sep 24, 2007 Liechtenstein
    Society Trader

Yeah, the guy has a huge shop, with most everything one needs for wood or metal working. Making that carry case isn't practical, but damn it's nice.

Less than 10 months to Christmas, if anybody is shopping for me. :wink:

Skabiski and FBarber like this.