DIY Fresh Hop IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by huckPDX, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:06 AM.

1. huckPDX

huckPDX Disciple (399) Apr 29, 2012 Oregon
    Society

A friend sent me this image from the current menu at Breakside Brewing.
    [​IMG]
    My first reaction was, this is oh so Portland. (full disclosure, I live in Portland) My second thought was, I'm going to try this. Right now.

So I went to the back yard, filled my single serve french press with hops, (did I mention that I live in Portland),
    [​IMG]
    and added beer.
    [​IMG]
    The above photo proves that outstanding West Coast IPAs still exist. Beer in the glass is unadulterated for comparison.

The result was a very drinkable fresh hop IPA. Is it just a party trick? Maybe. But definitely a fun one.
    [​IMG]

What do you think?

DIM and dcotom like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,913) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I tried the gizmo from DFH, not all that impressed with the results.

huckPDX likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dale (@nc41) I too have had DFH beer served from the keg through a plastic cylinder filled with wet hops. I too was not impressed with the results. Just seemed like a gimmick to me.

In a couple of days I will be homebrewing (once again) my annual Harvest Ale where I will be picking the hop cones as the wort is boiling to add these freshly picked hops to the kettle. That is the best way to DIY a wet hopped beer IMO.

Cheers!

4. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (717) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had FBS poured through one of those tubes full of coffee and oats and it was amazing. I think it was called a fusion tower.

Enjoy

huckPDX likes this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

6. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (717) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Similar type of mechanism. The one I was served from was at WFM in Plymouth quite a few years ago. It was much larger, I think because they wanted to really showcase what was in the tube. I stopped buying any of the fusion beers when they add $1 to those pours.

just found a link......https://www.kegworks.com/blog/beer-fusion-tower-112812/

Enjoy

huckPDX likes this.
  7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,783) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I don't see your pics. Shrugs.

Coopersmiths had/has an APA that they threw, not literally, a hop sack into. Twas good. Coolish gimmick.

huckPDX and PapaGoose03 like this.
  8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,913) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Foothills had a homemade Randall, I’ve heard some outrageous stuff they put in there, this was years ago, no idea if they still do it. Hops, tobacco, crazy fruits, peppers.

Bitterbill and huckPDX like this.
  9. GeeL

GeeL Initiate (198) Aug 27, 2008 Massachusetts

I have a Norpro glass milk frother, I use that to steep the beer in and filter the hops out. Works great.

huckPDX likes this.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,339) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

There was a place locally that was offering a service tableside where they would infuse your favorite beers with various hop varieties they had on their menu. I never went, and the service seemed to come and go. @Domingo was that service at the B&B? Either way I think hopping a beer and consuming it immediately may not bring out the ideal flavors of the hops.

huckPDX and meefmoff like this.
  11. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (413) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I once went to a festival where they piped an already hoppy beer through a big clear vat of fresh, whole cone hops on its way to the spigot. I'm not sure what kind they were but this was before the era of mosaic and such so most likely a c-hop.

It was fun as a lark but the beer was not good. Bitter lawn clippings is my memory.

SFACRKnight, huckPDX and JackHorzempa like this.
  12. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,611) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Yeah, it was the Bull & Bush that did that. They called it their "hop infuser" or something like that, but it was basically just a french press loaded with one of 5 hop varieties. It was fun and it did work pretty well for a couple varieties. I remember crystal being especially good. Thing is, most of their beers didn't really lend themselves to it. They probably needed a plain jane blonde ale for it. I don't think it was super popular so they started having to go out to the brewhouse to grab the hops. They ended up pulling it from the menu after a couple years.

SFACRKnight and huckPDX like this.