Do people still go crazy for KBS?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Biff_Tannen, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Disciple (313) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

just a few years ago this was a highly sought after beer. I can only speak for myself and other St Louisans, but last few years it has kind of sat on shelves. I can only think it has to do with how spoiled we are here with other BA coffee stouts that are 10x better like BA Sump, BA Bona Fide, Derivation, etc.

Are others finding this to be the case in their markets? Or are we just that spoiled with other better world class options here in St Louis?

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,013) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

While KBS doesn't make it to CO, I have noticed this with beers in our market. Beers like Abyss used to fly off the shelf, but with local beers that are as good or better stepping up in the past few years, it sits around anymore.

beergoot, Scotchboy, sharpski and 3 others like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,404) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I think it depends on where you live I think. Back home in NC if you manage to find it allocations are usually 1-2 bottles. Guys would chase trucks if they could, but they can't, as it sells out very quickly. Been that way for as long as I've cared to know.

I'm in WA visiting my son , and a small beer store in Tacoma had plenty in the cooler no limits at $25. I didn't analyze every single beer, but the only other Coffee Stout I remember seeing was Alesmith. IMO it's a great beer like it's always been, and consistent, if it was more available I'd buy more, if I wasn't 3000 miles from home id buy a case.

4. JChurchwell

JChurchwell Initiate (169) Dec 22, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Yes, in Bowling Green, KY they do. Didn't even try this year with 1 and 2 x 12 oz bottle limits with an $8-10 price tag each.

5. Biff_Tannen

Biff_Tannen Disciple (313) Dec 8, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

So basically equal to a $32-$40 4-pack? WTF?!?

ebin6 likes this.
  6. JChurchwell

JChurchwell Initiate (169) Dec 22, 2014 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Yeah, it's crazy, and with all the choices out there it's simply not worth it. I'd prefer sending my mom money to load up on Morningwood, Last Buffalo, etc. and paying to ship it.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  7. BWood

BWood Defender (603) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Love me some kbs. I still think it's a top tier beer after all these years. I will always seek it out.

8. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Savant (975) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Apparently yes. Most stores around here sold out within hours.

Brolo75 and MortarPestle like this.
  9. smutty33

smutty33 Zealot (581) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Here in CT. popularity is definitely not diminishing. Stores received a case or two.Most saw just a case. I even saw a few friends on my Facebook feed who aren't really beer geeks posting pics of their 4pks. I think more people than ever now want a taste of this nectar.

10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (737) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

In NJ it's seems you must have a good relationship with a store that has a great relationship with a wholesaler in order to get a bottle.

PaulElk likes this.
  11. skleice

skleice Aspirant (221) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

It's a very good beer, but prob overhyped imo. I grabbed a bit without really searching or getting gouged and stopped there. Quantities were very limited in CT and many stores charge a totally unreasonable markup (though people still buy it).

12. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Champion (870) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

KBS Is the beer that transformed me from being a PBR drinker to enjoying seriously good beer. I will buy some every April. $23 four packs here, easy to pass on the $20 bomber.

VABA, HattedClassic, red94tt and 2 others like this.
  13. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,252) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

It hasn't flown off of the shelves this year, like it has in the past, we have a one 4-pack limit, i think it carries a $21 price tag

Biff_Tannen and Harrison8 like this.
  14. beertrip

beertrip Initiate (138) Feb 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This is the first time in a few years I'm not making the effort. Combination of having plenty of good local beer and too much effort involved for 1 or 2 bottles.

15. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (348) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

It came and went in ATL. But there seemed to be more to go around than in recent memory. I did not go out of my way too much and landed 14 bottles. Though I am using them as IP trade bait, acquiring huna '17 and abraxas '16. I knew KBS would come in handy.

16. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,438) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

St. Louis really has a deep BA beer market. Lots of high profile, limited stuff.

KBS seems to be selling well around here, although when I got to the store at 7 PM last night they still had almost a whole case of KBS left and were selling it by the 4 pack. For comparison, the same store ran out of Abyss: Brandy this year an hour earlier than that.

Geuzedad, FBarber and Biff_Tannen like this.
  17. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Aspirant (208) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It seems like there is a lot more of it, and it's sitting. I remember just a few years ago it would be gone in a day, and that's at $7-8+ a bottle at 1 or 2 pp.

Now, the biggest store in the area has had these sitting on the floor for a couple of days now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (381) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Table and vine? crazy the price difference per oz in the bomber to the 4 packs.

19. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,579) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Can't really say since this is the first year it has made it to my area. I picked up a case a couple of days ago for $ 132.00. That works out to $ 5.50/bottle. There were no limits and I'm going back today to see if there are any left. Incidentally, I thought it was pretty good, right up there with BBA Peche Mortel.

20. TheOneTC

TheOneTC Aspirant (208) Aug 23, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

In general, price per ounce is always way more expensive in bombers, and I don't think $19.99 is crazy for KBS bombers, from what I've been hearing. But yeah, it is weird to see that comparison side by side.

Weird prices also don't surprise me at T&V. They outrageously overcharge for singles. I looked yesterday, a single taken from a $14.99 four-pack of a local DIPA was $5.99. I'd bet a single 12oz KBS would ring up $8.99.

21. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,909) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Don't know about crazy, but would be nice to see some in GJ.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

22. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (434) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Beer Trader

A few years ago when I scored my first bottle of KBS it was rarer than unicorn shit. This year in the UK we're "limited" to only 24 bottles each! I'll still pick some up obviously but there's no need to rush to the store it seems.

[​IMG]

VABA, Barnoloid, SammyJaxxxx and 7 others like this.
  23. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,439) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm just glad I got a 4 pack this year, and if I see more 12oz bottles I'll get at least 2 more. I think it's nice to have a good beer like that stick around for a few days.

A 24 bottle limit and discount is their way of making sure everyone gets a chance to try it? Well now I think we know why it is so limited here in the states. :wink:

24. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

They must have a boatload in stock! I guess it makes financial sense for Founders to export it. Perhaps the rest of the world is prepared to pay a higher end price? It would annoy the hell out of me if a UK brewery exported a rare release abroad and I couldn't get hold of it here.

VABA and StoutElk_92 like this.
  25. eifster82

eifster82 Defender (652) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Similar story here. KBS was the beer that transformed me from liking strictly IPA type of beers into a stout lover. I still get it every year for both sentimental reasons and because it's still a quality BA breakfast stout. A 4-pack for $22 is an easy 'yes' for me.

26. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (499) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa

I wish they didn't in my area, as I missed out this year :slight_frown:

27. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Devotee (465) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I don't buy it anymore and consider it overrated. It's a boozy mess really.

cavedave, JChurchwell and jhavs like this.
  28. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Meyvn (1,439) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I know it's not just the UK, Founders and some other bigger craft breweries are exporting to several or many different countries, but yeah for real limited stuff it sucks that there isn't enough to go around for everyone. Breweries might need to follow Stone and start building breweries in different countries to distribute to that area. I guess everyone is limited by money and resources, though.

VABA likes this.
  29. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (45) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

Yes. It was sold out within 2 hours at the beer store I frequent.

And this was during a snow storm...

30. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,268) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Two years ago, for $80 and zero hassle, I got a case of Sunday Morning Stout. Now I remember KBS the way I remember high maintenance girlfriends from my teens and twenties. Lots of fun at the time but not anywhere near worth the trouble in hindsight.

31. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (154) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

No offence, but this is bogus lol. People in UK seeing these quantities and many stores in the US are only receiving 1-2 cases. President Trump will have something to say about this when I blow up his Twitter! (sarcasm).

32. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Disciple (379) Jan 8, 2015 Indiana

I got one 750 and two 4-packs this week. I even went to the liquor store this morning and only 750's were left. I was proud of myself I didn't spend the $22 for ~25oz. of beer. I'm good with what I got, the money spent already and $ per oz. just doesn't make sense. If the 750's were in the $15 range, easy buy and I would have stocked up.

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas likes this.
  33. gibgink

gibgink Crusader (729) Oct 27, 2014 Missouri
    Beer Trader

BIFF!!! Long time no see!

First year of my "craft existence" I really tried to get this beer. Snagged a four pack, and was expecting the world as it was so highly rated here on BA. So the disappointment train was all set for departure once I opened it up. It left the for the first time that day...

Personally I think that KBS is a good beer, but it is highly overrated. That and the price point makes me not even try to look for it anymore.

JohnnyMc, Biff_Tannen and SMH_NWI like this.
  34. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (148) Dec 16, 2010 New York

At the shop where I work, we are only allocated 2 cases and have a 2 bottle limit. This is the first year we have made it through the weekend without selling out. Some people are still stoked on it but I think since there are so many other beers in that style available these days, some of which are excellent, it's not as exciting as it once was.

Biff_Tannen likes this.
  35. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (203) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Picked up my 2017 KBS the other day after hearing it was available;didn't rush out in the AM like I did last year though....Still have to tell myself- "it's cheaper and better than drinking in a bar"

36. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,468) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

:astonished:

Classic Biff.

cavedave, rozzom, jrnyc and 3 others like this.
  37. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Aspirant (263) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

im just curious why Founders has not came up with any KBS variants yet. That would be easy way to spark new life into their product.

38. 911CROFT

Beer Trader

Off topic, but thanks to Stone's Berlin site we now get fresher, cheaper and more widely available beers. I don't think it will be long before others follow suit.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  39. sosbombs

sosbombs Initiate (170) Jan 12, 2016 Vermont

Stores in NE are getting $10 a bottle, so somebody out there still likes KBS

40. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Aspirant (270) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

In Nashville i think stores got between 6 and 20 cases each. I am pretty sure how many cases stores get is based on how much Founders they sell.... It released here on Tuesday, and many stores still have it.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.