Do trades actually complete here?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by Circles413, Jul 1, 2020 at 5:37 AM.

1. Circles413

Circles413 Initiate (128) Feb 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I’ve noticed that the tide has swung in the direction of other sites when it comes to trading. A few years ago, BA was the place to be when it came to trading. Now a days, most trade posts have zero comments. So I ask, have people given up on this site for trading? A few months ago, I mention BA to a friend of mine & he had no idea what this site was/is because he trades in other forums. What are your thoughts? Personally, I turn to BA for real reviews & honest trading.

Cheers!

2. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Devotee (401) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Trader

I still use BA way more than other sites for trading. I find a little over 50% of the offers I post here end up getting done, which to me feels like a pretty good hit rate. I think thread comments aren’t a great way to judge whether or not trades are getting done, as most trade discussions are done via PM. However, if you go to the recent trade feedback section of the trading tab, you’ll see that roughly 10-30 trades are getting done every day.

While I expect other sites may have similar or better chances for getting a trade done, I stick with BA because of the quality of interactions I have with traders and the community. For instance, when I talk to buddies who trade elsewhere, and compare extras they’ve sent/received on trades, BA wins in a landslide. The generosity here is (usually) insane. Plus, I’ve had a really good experience building trade relationships here, which just doesn’t seem to be quite the case elsewhere. Lots of really good folks still lurking here, a lot just don’t post on the forums too often.

#2 Leftofthedial, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:03 AM
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    Affinity, beertunes, Slack and 8 others like this.
  3. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,337) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I have never traded on another site (I’m not on facebook), but I feel things have slowed down over the years. Right now, I think much of that is caused by summer and a pandemic.

I would suggest an experiment that I have done. Post an trade where you are clearly taking a loss. I bet you will have ten responses in an hour. Then, post a fair trade for the same beer. I bet you get crickets. To motivate many traders, you have to be willing to be fleeced.

Chilmer, Slack, eppie82 and 2 others like this.
  4. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (110) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

You say sites (plural) - the only other i know of is facebook. Where else are people actually trading these days?

5. MattOC

MattOC Disciple (396) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I see a lot of iso/ft comments on Instagram whenever a popular brewery posts a new beer for release.

6. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (4,639) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Trading has definitely swung away from BA over the past few years.

There are a lot of reasons for this IMHO. BA was *far* more restrictive in its trading rules up until recently, & that pushed a lot of good traders elsewhere. The wild west of Facebook is far more granular than BA - there are trading groups for specific breweries, regions, styles, etc. so the audience is more tightly targeted. Alternate beer sites other than BA & RB have been popping up & again, these are sometimes regional in nature. And last but not least, the whale mentality on BA has careened out of control (though this is becoming more & more true of other groups as well). If you don't have the latest, greatest, &/or rarest, good luck trying to set up a trade.

There is plenty of 'honest trading' to be had elsewhere, but the same rules apply anywhere else as on BA - trust your gut. If someone on IG or FB or elsewhere gives off alarm bell vibes, run!

Chilmer, Slack, eppie82 and 3 others like this.
  7. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,337) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

The other side of this, is try to set up a good regional friend to trade with. I have a couple people I trade with regularly that live in other parts of the country. I accumulate stuff for them and they do likewise. At semi-regular times, we bomb each other‘s porches. That is what beer advocacy should look like; Friends sharing good beer.

8. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Indeed, there are breweries that don't even get much of a response on BA when offered FT but have entire trading groups dedicated to them on Facebook where people are willing to give up a kidney to get their beer. Mortalis is the first brewery that pops to mind who falls into this category. The Instagram of specific breweries also has a lot of trading going on as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread.

9. Montanabeerz

Montanabeerz Disciple (349) Oct 31, 2016 Montana
    Trader

The feedback system for trading here is why I only trade on BeerAdvocate. I dropped Facebook in 2016 and Instagram ISO/FT comments are a mess. I haven't had much issue with making trades happen at / close to $4$ and 1:1. Yes, some traders are looking for advantages, but I think most overall just want to make a fair exchange. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive.

10. stmoorea

stmoorea Initiate (51) Mar 10, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

I don't use Facebook or Instagram, so have no opinion of their trading scenes. But one other place besides BA that seems to have a pretty nice system is The Beer Exchange (BEX). Granted, I only have a single trade under my belt both there and here, and I don't imagine I'll ever be a volume trader like some users and beer enthusiasts are. While BEX users currently have over 28,000 FTs and 32,000 ISOs, it does not appear to be nearly as active as BA.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,272) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

Reddit is one. untappd is another. i have a friend who trades exclusively trades on those two, and often complains about getting screwed. I try to steer him here, where there's an actual vetting process, but......

12. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,358) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm drinking a "ordinary bitter" from perennial that I got in a super smooth and easy trade that just happened on here. Might be my favorite beer of the summer. Seems like all the people who have trouble trading beer are only interested in trading for the rarest and most sought after beer....
    nah must be a problem with the website

Fermented-nate and Leftofthedial like this.
  13. Slack

Slack Savant (937) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

Reddit shit canned trading a long time ago, do people still trade on there?

I traded on here, reddit, Bex, and Instagram. Reddit was very community oriented in the sense that posted trades almost always resulted in feedback. BA is a very stable platform with a defined system that provides a level of confidence when trading. Bex has the right idea of matching FT and ISO but not enough users. Instagram might as well be Russian roulette - you have a good chance of being burned and people are more likely to try and sell you beer.

In terms of trades, being proactive has helped me. I have searched the trading forums, and wants to find traders with my ISO and messaged them. Posting trades seems to have mixed results with equal parts of silence, trades allowing people to win, and fair trades. I think a lot of this stems from people wanting the same iso e.g. BBT, kbbs, etc and the ridiculous secondary market.

14. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,358) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

This is the answer. Look into any collectable/consumable market and then try to obtain the most highly touted example. It will be very difficult, bordering on impossible if you are not.fabulously wealthy. And whether its beer, wine, bourbon, sneakers, action figures, early board games, or antique ceramic cow figurines you can either make it your hobby to enjoy the whale hunting and all the head ache and heartbreak that entails, or you can just enjoy the more accessible examples and not sweat the stuff that requires a kidney, a first born, and 4 months pay

Slack likes this.
  15. hhughes2008

hhughes2008 Initiate (54) Oct 25, 2016 Minnesota
    Trader

I used to trade on FB but exclusively trade here now. I appreciate having the accountability with the rating/reviews of trades. I've made 4 trades in the past 2 months on BA and really have never had a problem getting a trade done.

16. Slack

Trader

And the unintended consequence is that all beer trading down to locals is affected by the demand for rarity and secondary. Energy City comes to mind. Instagram several months back had a FT which I took the chance - the end result was they didn’t like my offerings and were more interested in up charging for cans (which they apparently did/do regularly).

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  17. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (453) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Stmoorea, I'm the same way too middle aged to be on Facebook and especially Instagram. I never been burned on a trade here and based on the low frequency of reports in the bad trade forum and solid moderation, why go elsewhere?

Beetunes, vetting?? One of my very first trades was with a really cool super veteran trader. I wish every person with less than 2 trades would just put down on their thread "will absolutely ship first". That's what I did but then again I wasn't hunting down any real whales.

18. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,272) Sep 24, 2007 Mayotte
    Society Trader

By vetting, I basically mean you've gotta be on the site for 30 days before you're allowed to trade. Seems effective for keeping out the worst of the shitlords.

19. D09daryl

D09daryl Initiate (110) Mar 11, 2017 California
    Trader

I recently had a long back and forth regarding some big bottles with a new user on here who has 1 completed trade (happens to be IP), and after hashing out all the details he drops the bomb -

"same day trade, at the same time, (that way we will both send each other tracking # and get it the same time)

sound good?"

No, no that does not sound good, that just SCREAMS scammer and I hope nobody falls for any BS like that

20. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (278) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

I miss reddit. The good old days.

I use IG & FB mostly for trading. I've never been burned on a trade. Only been burned on thank you beers.

BEX is the only platform that I haven't tried.

Also my trades are generally small. Less likely for someone to rip you off for 6-8 cans or buying a 4pack for 48

For the trendy" beers", it's easier to find a trader on IG or Facebook than BA. I would certainly prefer to use BA, but not as many have that stuff

21. Slack

Trader

Burned on more thank you beers than trades. One guy actually said he liked to do "big surprise" extras. He had a good track record and I agreed and included some heavy hitter bottles in addition to the trade which was heavy hitters. He profusely thanked me but said I must have misunderstood him. I received 3 local cans of mediocre beer. Saved his name and not trading with him again.

Nobody is on BEX and the user interface sucks. I have done maybe 3 trades on there and those were maybe a couple of four packs of Aslin for some random beer that piqued my interest.

JohnnyHopps likes this.