Do you buy beer by the case?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackHorzempa, Jul 8, 2021.

?

Do you buy beer by the case?

1. Yes

88 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. No

171 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,066) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yesterday in the Go-To beer thread @nomisugitai posted:

“Something that I can easily purchase by the case, year after year and I like. Torpedo, PBR, DAB, Guinness.”

This got me thinking: I wonder how many BAs purchase beer by the case (e.g., 24 bottles/cans)?

If you do purchase beer by the case, which brands?

Cheers!

el_bobbo, micada, oneeye and 12 others like this.
  2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,143) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Only occasionally when I'm supplying Two Hearted to my daughter on the west coast, and once when Short's released their Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, a double Belgian IPA which is high on my list of favorites but only released seasonally in a small quantity and not every year. So I voted No since it doesn't happen regularly.

#2 PapaGoose03, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  3. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (58) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

I bought two 12-packs of Fair State's Crankin' Foamers (AAL) for the Fourth of July weekend.

66jzmstr, jzlyo, Singlefinpin and 2 others like this.
  4. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Meyvn (1,081) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania has really opened up their alcohol laws the past several years. I'm still amazed that I can buy singles. So I've been buying that way for a while now and I have no plans to go back to buying cases.

jzlyo, Shanex, kemoarps and 5 others like this.
  5. JBogan

JBogan Champion (871) Jul 15, 2007 California
    Trader

I can't even remember the last time I purchased 24 bottles/cans of a single beer at one time. Many years ago I'd have to guess. Now, a mix of 24 various beers at one time is another matter ...

jzlyo, montman, Shanex and 7 others like this.
  6. jonphisher

jonphisher Zealot (565) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Not really ever by the case these days but 12 packs yes.

7. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Disciple (337) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

I really only buy one beer by the case. Heady Topper. That's just because I need to travel to find it. Otherwise I really don't.

nh2032, shkin, Sheppard and 3 others like this.
  8. BigIronH

BigIronH Zealot (597) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I voted no. While I regularly buy 24 beers or more at a time, they’re hardly ever all the same brewer/style/etc. Even when I’m just stocking my regulars I’ll do like a 6 of Light Hearted Ale, a 6 of Lager of the Lakes, and a 6 of Solid Gold. I’m a sucker for variety. Cheers.

cavedave, Ffenski, Shanex and 6 others like this.
  9. dennisthreeninefiveone

dennisthreeninefiveone Initiate (100) Aug 11, 2020 New Jersey
    Trader

I used buy SNPA by the case when I was younger. I was drinking more and there were many less choices. Now even for picnics or BBQs no cases just a sixtel,

10. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Defender (631) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Infrequently, yes. Like when making a run to Wisconsin to grab some New Glarus.

The vast majority of the time, no. Packs of 1 - 12 do the trick.

11. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,533) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Yes, I do.

12. JackHorzempa

Society

I am pretty much in the same boat. A number of years ago we had to purchase by the case (i.e., Retail Beer Distributors) but since they relaxed the laws (first 12-packs and then later 6-packs & singles) I have not purchased a case in a while.

I was recently doing some cleaning in the basement and I had sorta lost track of a case of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I have been cellaring. There was about 8 bottles in that case box; I purchased that case in 2016. I am guessing these remaining beers should be consumed within the next year (or so).

Cheers!

13. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,431) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

14. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Devotee (497) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Not in a long time. I've recently purchased a 12 pack of something recently, but other than that, it's 4 or 6 packs

Singlefinpin, Bitterbill and beergoot like this.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,722) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Nope. At least not unless I'm buying something in another state that I can't buy at home. I've bought cases of New Glarus, but that's basically it.
    I don't drink enough of any one thing to justify it. I guess Dale's Pale Ale, maybe, but I'd rather buy a fresh 6-pack every week or two instead.

16. pbrian

pbrian Crusader (710) Feb 8, 2001 Connecticut

12 packs frequently (for the economics of it), cases very rarely, even if I’m buying 4 total cases for a party or something

Singlefinpin, Bitterbill and beergoot like this.
  17. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (170) Jan 8, 2015 California

Do I live in Pennsylvania and complain about the price of Sierra Nevada beer? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, I buy 4 or 6 packs mostly and the occasionally single 16 or 19.2 oz can. I used to buy 12 pack variety packs but now that they are basically a collection of IPAs I pass.

18. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,040) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I buy cases of Bigfoot and Vitus annually. I occasionally also buy cases of other, reasonably priced big beers that hold up well, barrel aged barleywine from Central Waters for instance.

Not all that long ago, most of my beer was purchased by the case in Pennsylvania.:rolling_eyes:

oneeye, Shanex, kemoarps and 6 others like this.
  19. JackHorzempa

Society

This thread is still very young (e.g., only 24 votes) so perhaps I should wait a bit upon commenting but...

I am personally not surprised that for the BA crowd purchasing beer in sizes smaller than a case seems to the the norm. While chatting with the manager of my local Retail Beer Distributor) after purchasing a six-pack of beer I see plenty of other customers purchasing beer by the case (and 30-pack) but invariably those are the types of beers that BAs do not popularly purchase (e.g., beers like Hamms, Busch, Bud Light, etc.).

I suspect there is some retail data out there (e.g., IRI data) which details that case sales are more prevalent for the mainstream/AAL beer consumers.

Cheers!

20. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,083) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Father of the year!

21. BigIronH

BigIronH Zealot (597) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Bud.

eppCOS, Shanex, Singlefinpin and 5 others like this.
  22. o29

o29 Aspirant (239) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

I'll echo most sentiments already stated here that I rarely purchase by the case unless it's something I know I'll enjoy 24 of and is something I can't access normally (either because it's seasonally brewed or not locally distributed).

For example, the last case I purchased was Zombie Dust ordered online where purchasing a full case helped me cut down on the price/can. Earlier this year when I was in Louisiana I picked up 4x 4-packs of Ghost in the Machine, though that's obviously a bit shy of a case.

Since I enjoy drinking fresh and varied beer styles usually I do not mind the sometimes small additional price/can seen between the 6/12-pack and case format, and that's if the beer I want is even available by the case (which not always the case :grin:).

I've also found that, without help, it can be difficult to drink 24 beers before their best by date, and the amount of fridge space required to keep them all cold while also maintaining a selection of other beers can be a limiting factor for me as well.

23. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,828) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I don't even see cases of craft beer often. When I lived nearer a particular brewery they would often have case sales and we would buy those sometimes. I buy 12 packs of a couple beers regularly. Otherwise it's all 6/4 packs. I've been trying to cut down on the single purchases

24. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (590) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

I don't always buy a case of beer, but when I do... there won't be a single 6 pack or 4 pack that's the same.

Only time I'll consider a case is buying for a family function, but the past decade+ I'd go full froo-froo and get a sixtel.

Singlefinpin and Bitterbill like this.
  25. Providence

Providence Crusader (748) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Haven't done it in years. I tend to get bored with 24 of the same beers. I mean, I'll eventually drink them all, but they won't be as fresh once I get down to the end. I'm sure I could save all sorts of money if I bought by the case, but whatever.

I would also feel like a colossal dick if, for example, I cam across six four packs of a beer I love (let's say Modernism from Schilling or Altbier from Notch) and bought all of them. I don't want to clear the store out. I'm sure the store and the brewer wouldn't mind me doing that, but I think it'd bum some customers out if I did that. I remember perusing the beer shelf at a local shop years ago. I saw a bottle of something that looked interesting. I was reading the label while the beer was on the shelf, it wasn't in my hand yet. While doing that, some dude comes by, reaches across my field of vision, grabs that bottle, grabs the last two bottles behind it, and bails. I wasn't likely to buy that beer as it was really expensive, but I felt like that dude needed a kick in the nuts. I never want anyone in a beer store to see me as I saw that dude, so that may be influencing my lack of case purchases.

JEBmass, LeRose, kemoarps and 5 others like this.
  26. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (448) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I do sometimes buy by the case - more often by 12-packs, but sometimes 24.
    I keep a couple different levels of beers - the "daily drinker" stuff, like SNPA, Harpoon, etc.
    then the better ones that I get by the 4-pack, and then there's the cellar stuff.
    THe daily drinker I'll get by 12 or 24.

27. Johnnycasaba

Johnnycasaba Initiate (6) Apr 23, 2021 Pennsylvania

Most of my purchases are in the 4 or 6 pack format, but I still buy cases of the beers I really like. Last 2 were Green State Lager and Pilsner Urquell. I always buy 2 to 3 12 packs of Celebration Ale and would have done the same for Summerfest if it was still available.

28. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (252) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Not usually, but sometimes. I recently received a case (12 bottles) of MBC Dinner and also Sip of Sunshine. Sometimes it’s an “accumulated” case. For example, I bought a six of Stone’s Liquid Poem and later went back to the store and bought three more sixers. The same has happened with Fat Head’s IBUsive. I bought four four packs, then two more, then two more.

29. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Zealot (593) May 5, 2015 Illinois

I worked at a warehouse club for a couple of years before I finally decided working was for the young. One day the Bud guy dropped off his weekly shipment, Bud Light, Budweiser, and the usual AB products. Lo and behold, buried on the mixed pallet were 4 cases of Bourbon County Stout 2014. I checked them in and bought 2 of the 4 cases. I still have 5 bottles, they're being saved until it's time to check out.

30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,857) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I don't drink beer in that capacity. At maybe 2 to 4 beers a week max and usually 0 to 1 these days, it would take me a long time to get through. If it was ten fidy it would work I suppose.

eppCOS, cavedave, kemoarps and 4 others like this.
  31. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,927) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Not as much as I used to, but the mood still strikes from time to time. Mostly during Oktoberfest season.

eppCOS, oneeye, Singlefinpin and 6 others like this.
  32. Foyle

Foyle Meyvn (1,025) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

A few times a year I buy a case -- usually a Yuengling product, Pabst, or Natural Light -- and those are purchases for hosting or going to a get together of some sort. Other than top selling BMC products I see very few beers sold by the case available locally. (craft beers are 12 pack max and some only available in 6 packs). If I had the option to buy craft/imports by the case I would also do that 2-3 times a year.

33. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (346) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Same. I used to buy 24 when I had little choice to try new beers (the SA six different beers were always great for this) but this was a bit of a gamble and many beers over the years ended up being served at parties instead of me finishing them. It was great when more craft places started to open up around me that served six packs and I wasn't stuck with choosing from just the regular stuff you saw everywhere.

I haven't purchased a case of anything in more than a decade and I just don't drink enough beer, or any of the same beer, to warrant the purchase.

34. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (78) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

Not as a rule, only very rarely is a case a worthwhile investment for me. Rothaus Hefeweizen as an everyday drinker (and for my wife...); St. Bernardus 8 and/or 12, and Tripel Karmeliet, when I make a roadtrip to Belgium.

And, a couple of years ago I was able to grab 2 cases of Westvleteren from the monastery. I'm hoping to make a habit of that. :grin:

35. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (3,026) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I don't often see true cases of craft beer anymore, but I will buy the larger packaging if that counts. Usually it's for something like a camping trip or something similar where you want enough beer on hand without having to go to the store.

Another instance where I buy the larger package is for seasonal offerings. Celebration is a good example of something I'll pick up because I'd rather have it on hand all season instead of having to buy more and risk it running out.

I've read about craft breweries not wanting to do full cases because they do better in sales of 6 and 12-packs but I think people who are suckers for breweriana would buy them if they put something inside the case. Stuff like the headband from DFH during EBF or an ornament for a Christmas Tree. It might not be for everyone but I find that stuff cool.

36. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (4,730) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society

I guess i am part of the "Me Too" movement. Maybe 1-2 cases a year. And i have not come across craft options. So far this year it has been Yuengling Lager for $16.99 when we first moved to Western NC; mainly because Da Boss and my favorite 81 year old Mother In Law will drink it.
    Cheers,
    Tom

Singlefinpin, Bitterbill and Foyle like this.
  37. TheEpeeist

TheEpeeist Zealot (517) Nov 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Hamm's 30 packs about once a month. Nugget Nectar, Born Yesterday, Celebration and maybe a Willettized. these are my value splurges. mostly 4 packs and singles to go with the Hamm's.

38. JackHorzempa

Society

Michael, thanks for 'triggering' my memory here!

Last year I purchased several 12-packs of Sly Fox Oktoberfest. Maybe this year I will 'group' those purchases and just purchase a case(s) instead. :thinking_face:

Cheers!

39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,736) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

Last case I bought was close to 2 years age? Mixed case of Spaten.

40. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Disciple (305) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Yes. Sometimes. Esp in the summer. Usually Sierra Nevada beers or local ales like Summit.

eppCOS, Harrison8, oneeye and 5 others like this.