Do you care what your beer gets served in?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sixa66, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixa66

sixa66 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Florida

I understand the importance of proper glassware and when ever I've served beer I always made sure it went in to the glass it was meant for. I do however understand a bar could be super busy and only have a certain type of glass in which I wouldn't care.

Would it bother you if you ordered the same beer in three different establishments and got it in three different types of glasses?

Would it bother you if you ordered an American Stout @ 5.5 ABV for $6.50 and received it in a snifter, while the guy next to you orders a DIPA $6 @ 10 ABV and gets it in an American pint?

2. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (774) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

While I have preferences in glassware, it isn't a major deal for me. With the stout/dipa example, and I know what I'm getting, it's not a problem. (confusing, but not a problem) Out here in BFE, I'm happy if its not served in a frosted glass.

leezy, Scarfer_Brad, Sean227 and 14 others like this.
  3. Bosoxfan20

Bosoxfan20 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Missouri

I die a little inside every time I get any beer poured in a standard mixer pint glass.

4. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (473) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

i really hate frosted glasses, but typically see beer served in what it should be around here.

the frosted really gets me when i'm drinking anything other than Currs Lt. :slight_frown:

NWer, Sound_Explorer, Roguer and 2 others like this.
  5. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,351) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I'm not a glass purist, but I hate chilled glasses.

Scarfer_Brad, king75, NWer and 11 others like this.
  6. zid

zid Meyvn (1,376) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I live a little every time I taste a beer from a standard mixer pint glass.

@sixa66 , I don't really care what glass a bartender uses unless it's anything other than a hefeweizen in a hefeweizen glass or if I'm being cheated out of a full pour.

7. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Disciple (304) Dec 3, 2013 Washington

This is me when I'm out and about. There's nothing worse than a frozen glass; I curse that terrible practice. I'd rather have my beer in a red Solo cup than a frozen glass/mug. A chilled glass (about fridge temp) doesn't bother me much though. I'm no fan of the standard shaker pint either, as I think it does nothing to enhance the beer, but it's far the worst offense.

frozen-1984 likes this.
  8. SirBottlecap

SirBottlecap Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 California

I don't care what kind of beer or glass it is, as long as a schwartzbier is served in a schwartzbier glass.

9. ivorycannon

ivorycannon Zealot (538) Feb 21, 2013 Indiana

Not really! If the glass is not plastic, then I am good.

10. Sweffin

Sweffin Savant (964) Jun 25, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I like glass size to be inversely proportional to abv. Also, I wouldn't want a sour served in a pint glass.

KingCobra686 likes this.
  11. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

Last New Years eve a bartender friend of mine was serving me Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stouts in pint glasses. After 3 of them with shots mixed in I started off the year with a great hangover lol.

Depends on the place. You know a good beer bar has the right glasses. Otherwise they lose money on the big beers in big glasses. Just don't give me a frosty glass. Worst idea ever.

sixa66 likes this.
  12. Mshea805

Mshea805 Initiate (197) Apr 12, 2014 California
    Trader

I usually dont care much but I do not like when that happens. Low abv stouts I expect a pint, high abv and barrel aged stuff obviously are more appropriate in a snifter.

13. Hhodne

Hhodne Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Norway

When I'm visiting someone at their home I demand a proper glassware.
    Don't care if it is a tupli, snifter or so, as long as it is not an old and scratched up glass that serves its purpose as a milk glass every other day of the week.
    Same goes for a bar. Please do not serve me anything from a scratched up pint glass.

glass_house likes this.
  14. TheBigHayden

TheBigHayden Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2015 Texas

Depends on the situation for me. If I'm trying a limited release, or I'm at a bar that specializes in craft beer, then I kind of expect the proper glass. I'm not going to get bent out of shape unless the beer was $10+, but it will stick out in my mind.

If I'm at my local dive that has only really started offering craft outside of Sam Adams & Spoetzl, I'm just happy to see something new on the tap list.

I will say something about a frozen mug though. I won't send a beer back, but I'll politely ask for my next one to be poured in a room temp glass.

If I'm at someones home, anything goes. Not everyone has a ton of tulips, tekus, snifters, or whathaveyou lying around, and I'm probably more focused on the beer and the company than serving etiquette.

15. sixa66

Frosted glasses and craft beer don't mix! However, if I am in the middle of nowhere I don't mind a Bud Light in a frosted glass, it's not really the type of beer that gets better when it warms up a bit!

In fact it kills me when I watch bar rescue and he installs those tap systems that deliver beer at 32 degrees.

16. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

I do, but it's more about getting the right amount. I hate cheater pints/falsies, if they say it's a pint of beer then U should get a pint. Frosted mugs haven't been an issue for me since I don't really see them.

17. sixa66

Those pints glasses are made for bottles! The pint glass with the thick bottom is generally 14oz although I have seem some actually be 16oz.

18. sixa66

I do agree though, I only care if I feel like I am getting cheated. I understand I may only be talking about 4-5 ounces but thats my beer!

However, I guess its possible the beer was expensive from the distribution side therefore they stretch it by serving smaller portions to get the money back.

19. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Exactly. A friend I had for thirty years tried to serve me a Supplication in a pint glass. Not only did I kick him at least 7 times with my boot , I also wrapped his cat up in 17 feet of duct tape when I left. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

20. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

I believe your after death skills seem to be exquisite. To die yet still be able to post is a god damn modern miracle.

Beef_Curtains likes this.
  21. riverlen

riverlen Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

It doesn't matter too much as long as it's a clean glass.

22. sixa66

Its something in the beer I drink! :grinning:

23. hoppyman81

hoppyman81 Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2010 California

If I receive an IPA in an actual IPA glass I will be a patron for life

sixa66 likes this.
  24. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

I understand, but when they say their selling a pint of beer I want a pint of beer. I'm referring to beers on tap not bottles.

sixa66 likes this.
  25. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,121) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

My wife who knows nothing about beer except what she hears from me always asks me if John Taffer knows so much about bars why is he serving up beer so cold?!

26. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,620) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I'd drink beer out of any container that was given me. As long as it's a clean glass. If glassware is an issue (some bars I've been to just have glasses for mixed drinks and not beer), I'd drink from the bottle.

27. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012 Michigan

Had a CBS yesterday out of a pint glass because the bar didn't have enough of the proper glassware. I cared a tiny bit until I tasted it.

28. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,308) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Perhaps the Bros. need to produce a "Craft Bar Rescue" show. I'm sure Esquire channel would pick it up. Have Biff_Tannen chew bar owner ass for not using proper glassware or not cleaning tap lines. Get Jesskidden to correct the bar owner when they start saying incorrect shit.

paulys55, rjmc64 and jrnyc like this.
  29. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,155) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

As long as it isn't a dribble glass I am fine with it. It probably takes an old fart to know what a dribble glass is.

FrancisT, Tripel_Threat and 5thOhio like this.
  30. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (498) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Because he works with bars that sell AALs. If you don't have mountains to turn blue for you, you need a tap system that will maintain that chilled taste.

It's an interesting show, but I've never seen him work with a craft beer bar.

31. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

As long as I get a glass with a bottle of IPA, I'm good... not a big fan of being handed bottles and having to ask for a glass. If it's draft, I don't care what kind of glass it's in.

32. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (735) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

As long as it's a clean, non-frosted glass I'm not too concerned.

Relik and dennis3951 like this.
  33. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Devotee (483) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Unless the place is known for being a craft beer bar, I'm just happy to have a glass. If it's a place that sells itself as a craft beer bar, they better provide the proper glasses for different styles of beer.

Tridement and Sound_Explorer like this.
  34. klawburke

klawburke Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Massachusetts

If shaker pints are all they've got, then fine, I'll take it, but I've gotten served a frosted shaker pint while people at other tables were getting water served in tulips.

David_CT and zeff80 like this.
  35. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,121) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Yeah, that is what I figured. Would be interested to see him in a craft beer bar and his approach to glassware and serving temps.

36. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (10,757) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

I expect the correct glass at craft beer bars or other places that I know truly care about beer. When I order a Logboat Snapper IPA at a local Mexican restaurant, I'm just happy if it comes in a glass that isn't chilled.

hoppyman81 likes this.
  37. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Devotee (461) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

Clean, unblemished/unbroken glass above all, but after that, I generally don't concern myself with using the branded glassware if I'm out having a drink somewhere. At home, I try to use the appropriate glassware for any beer that I serve and if I have the glassware from a particular brewery for a particular beer, it gets used for presentation purposes. But I realize this (usually) isn't the case at most restaurants and some non-craft bars. At a craft bar, however, I usually don't have to worry about it - in the dozen visits to my local craft bar over the past year and a half or so, they've always had the proper glassware, whether it was a stout, hefe, etc.

38. Dogtirednj

Dogtirednj Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 Pennsylvania

There's a place nearby that allows "members" to drink from the bars own ceramic steins. I die a little everytime someone orders something other than a lager or a pilsner in it. Call me a snob, but it just seems wrong. And the only time I get worked up about a tulip vs say a snifter is when the glass size is markedly different. I've actually challenged a pub when they served my "10 oz Belgian" in what was a small 8 oz snifter.

Tridement likes this.
  39. buzzedup

buzzedup Devotee (433) Dec 21, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I personaly like to use the correct glass ware for the style of the beer . it really does make a differance.

40. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

That would actually be a pretty interesting episode. Based on how that show seems to be set up, I'd be surprised if Taffer didn't bring in some sort of a craft beer expert (a professional brewer, a distro/brand bigshot, or a certified Cicerone) to curate the beer menu and advise him & the bar owner on things like glassware, serving temps, etc.

jrnyc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.