Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Do you eat while you drink? (poll)

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by raynmoon, Aug 9, 2013.

?

do you usually eat food while you drink beer?

1. I like beer by itself.

55 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. I usually drink beer with food, and/or pair.

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. I don't care, i like both.

86 vote(s)
    54.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raynmoon

raynmoon Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

When you have beer, do you like eating food with it or have food pairing with your beer or do you prefer beer by itself?

2. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Tough question for me to answer (I did cast my vote, BTW). If it's a beer I've never had before I don't want to muck it up with food because I want to review it initially without anything else competing on my palate. If it's something I've had before I absolutely enjoy pairing it with food.

3. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I love food and I love beer, but I hate them together. I don't want anything to affect the flavor of what I'm eating and drinking

TonyJ815 likes this.
  4. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Food and beer are awesome together!! Nothing like a nice dry-aged New York Strip paired with a barrel aged stout!!

Henamonster likes this.
  5. whiskey

whiskey Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I love it all. I like drinking good beer with food because I feel like the food constantly cleanses my palate so each swig of beer is fresh and bold.

6. McStagger

McStagger Jun 2, 2005 California

Depends. If it's a beer that's new to me, I don't pair it with anything. If it's a beer that I'm familiar with, I try and pair it with different foods (usually cheese). However, if it's that special beer that fires on all cylinders, I almost always enjoy it by itself.

7. LampertLand

LampertLand Nov 2, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Half the fun of eating , is what wine beer to pair with the meal ;)

8. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Pepcid AC

9. BEERchitect

BEERchitect Feb 9, 2005 Kentucky

Its not an all-or-nothing proposal for me. When it's a beer that I've never had before, I really prefer to have it all unto itself without any influence from other flavors- that means excluding food. But after I have become accustomed to the beer's taste, I like to venture out and explore food flavor combinations with more adventurous culinary actions. Aah, the world is a playground!

wr3ck00n and BeerKangaroo like this.
  10. smakawhat

smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

either or, but when I am always having dinner I am always having a drink pairing... ALWAYS...

Potatocrawler likes this.
  11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

I try to keep eating and drinking separate.

12. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn May 27, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

Exactly this.

13. ridglens

ridglens Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

i don't really think that much about it.... if i'm opening something i haven't tried yet or might not try again, i'll usually try and at least rinse the dorito taste out of my mouth

14. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

typical drinking session

Nice IPA, BBQ chicken nachos, smothered steak fries for apps
    Another IPA, some vintage RR sours, BA beer
    Burger or Buffalo Sloppy Joe
    More beer

Unfortunately, the food is too good at Beachwood to only drink

bifrost17 likes this.
  15. bifrost17

bifrost17 Dec 16, 2011 Washington

there needs to be another option in the poll "depends/sometimes"

16. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Sep 17, 2005 Maine
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Depends what I'm drinking

17. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

my thoughts exactly

18. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

If tasting something new, the first half or so will certainly be solo, but even then a little bread or a cracker can only help bring out flavor. I answered the poll as 'usually' but the full response really would be, I would PREFER to always have at least a little something, but admittedly pretty often it's the bar bowl of nuts or whatever.

19. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

Beer and food together. While food is great alone, and beer is great alone, to match/pair them up with together is just an even better experience for me.

20. enelson

enelson Dec 2, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

No. Even with pizza I would prefer a Coke. I don't find beer compliments food in most cases.

21. jesster64

jesster64 Aug 3, 2013 New Jersey

At the end of the night, first bottle, no food. second bottle, i prefer something to snack on, chips or some peanuts.

22. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I find that food and beer can actually complement one another really well!!

23. wr3ck00n

wr3ck00n Aug 23, 2013 North Carolina

Yes, exactly. I love finding flavor combinations that make my tastebuds soar.. but initially I want a clean pallet to figure out what exactly I'm starting off with.

BEERchitect likes this.
  24. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

I love having a beer while I'm preparing a meal. Especially a nice IPA while I'm grilling.

wr3ck00n likes this.
  25. wr3ck00n

This too. It seems to have become my Friday ritual (if not going out) to come home, throw on some comfy clothes, and pour something I know I enjoy to sip while I plan and prepare dinner. Highly enjoyable way to kick off an evening.

BostonHops and Johnny_Duck like this.
  26. e34john

e34john Jul 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

We used to avoid certain restaurants because they didn't serve beers.

27. schoon

schoon Dec 12, 2010 Iowa

I normally have a few beers then eat, of course then I fall asleep. I am the only one in my family that would care to pair beer with what we are eating. So I just make a lot of meal with beer as an ingredient. When I do that the family usually likes it. This started when I made the Sam Adams Cream Stout Chocolate Cake "I liked that it called for a sixer, (8oz for the cake the rest for the baker)". This has become a staple for our family (we are expected to bring to all our get togethers). Now they are willing to try my all of my trials.

28. e34john

e34john Jul 22, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Recipe please!

29. wr3ck00n

Indeed! I feel this to be vital information that I am currently lacking.

30. MisterKilderkin

MisterKilderkin Aug 24, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'm not the best at pairing beer with food as far as complementing each other is concerned. However, I think I found a good one the other day. Firestone Double DBA + pound cake w/strawberries & hand whipped cream. Very seldom have I had a pair that good outside of a professionally setup pairing.

It does depend on if I've had the beer before, as said above, I'd rather have a new beer w/o food to get the full experience.

31. mpalestino

mpalestino May 28, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Usually not with a beer I am trying for the first time at home, if I am out then drinking beer and eating go hand and hand, that's what I am out for....

32. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Apr 3, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Agreed. I drink... then I eat. Then I may drink some more. :D

I dont hate them together necessarily though, I just get full off of both of them together and then I hate life afterwards...

33. schoon

schoon Dec 12, 2010 Iowa

Now since I can't get Sam's Cream Stout anymore I usually substitute with any milk/cream stout or chocolate stout that I can get. This is also why the recipe I have copied I omitted the Sam's Cream Stout by name from the title and ingredients. My wife really likes this made with Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I've thought about using a bourbon aged stout just to mix it up but worried about always messing with a good thing.
    Well here it is I hope you enjoy.
    It doesn't say this but we will dust it with powdered sugar or drizzling it with a cream cheese frosting to dress it up.

Cream Stout Cake
    2 cups flour
    2 cups sugar
    1 1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 sticks butter or margarine
    2/3 cup Dutch process cocoa
    6-pack of any cream stout beer or any other dark beer of choice. (8oz for cake recipe – rest for baker consumption)
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 eggs

Sift dry ingredients together
    In heavy sauce pan melt butter add stout and cocoa.
    Allow mixture to cool
    Combine dry ingredients to chocolate mixture
    Beat for one minute
    Add eggs and sour cream; beat another 2 minutes or so.
    Pour cake mixture into greased and floured bundt cake pan.

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

utopiajane and wr3ck00n like this.
  34. wr3ck00n

Love that. Heh. Seriously though, I can't wait to try this. Baking is probably my most favorite thing in the world... combine it with beer, and damn. Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

35. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I don't really pair food with beer, but I do love drinking beer while eating.

36. Jacline

Jacline Oct 7, 2013 California

Yes i used to eat while am drinking because beer taste little bitter so i prefer to eat something with beer like snacks and some peanuts.

37. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

4. None of the above. I DO care, I do both.

Henamonster likes this.
  38. puffingMe

puffingMe Oct 2, 2013

Based on our culture, we don't drink without a pair, so beer plus pair will do. I'll never drink a beer into drunkeness if there will be no pairing, it'll give me headache for sure.

39. USAF77

USAF77 Oct 21, 2013 Illinois

Beer and food were meant for each other.

40. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Cheesy Garlic bread is the most universal food that goes with almost every beer style out there! Just ask the guys in my tasting group! I eat cheesy garlic bread at beer tastings like the cookie monster eats cookies!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe