Do you like barrel aged IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by oldgrowth, Jun 17, 2017.

1. oldgrowth

oldgrowth Initiate (181) Mar 1, 2003 North Carolina

after having Founders Doom the other day, not so much, I don't think it's a good mix. hops get buried beneath the barrel. had a couple others a few years back, think one was Foothills BBA Seeing Double.

2. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Savant (954) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Beer Trader

Good question, haven't had one yet. I'll be interested to see the responses to this one, I've been on the fence about buying Doom because It's something I'm not sure is a good mix.

#2 FLBeerGuy, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  3. Buck89

Buck89 Meyvn (1,471) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Supporter Beer Trader

4. Junior

Junior Aspirant (270) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I've only had one,Doom, and I enjoyed it. I didn't really seek it out and was given one. It was much better than I expected. Not something I would want to drink frequently though.

MistaRyte likes this.
  5. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,007) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Not so much. Though I'm not a huge BBA fan to begin with.

I much prefer a coffee or oak IPA.

tmalt and VABA like this.
  6. pro45

pro45 Aspirant (200) Sep 11, 2016 New York

7. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (154) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

8. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,904) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Bought a bottle of Doom today. Hope to share it tonight. Will report back.

9. Gobearswalter34

Gobearswalter34 Savant (905) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois

Doom is wonderful!

10. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,283) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

It seems a contradiction to me. The only thing I'm sure of is I won't be in line to buy it.

11. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Aspirant (280) May 5, 2015 Illinois

I tried Doom, It was good but I'll Still with BA stouts and double/Imperial IPA's.

bubseymour likes this.
  12. teromous

teromous Meyvn (1,360) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia

Is the question specific to bourbon barrel aged IPA's or does it encompass beers that are aged on unused wood barrels, spirals, chips, and planks?

I think Cigar City has it down to an art with White Oak Jai Alai, but their website says they use white oak spirals.

BobGNARley352 likes this.
  13. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,078) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Not an IPA fan, but I am a BA fan. A BA IPA is more interesting to me than a plain IPA, though would rather have a BA stout or porter.

james02 likes this.
  14. Squire123

Squire123 Meyvn (1,283) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm not so concerned with the type or amount of wood used, rather aging an IPA is changing a fresh hop brew into merely a highly hopped one. Not necessarily a bad thing but it is a different thing.

bbtkd likes this.
  15. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,338) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I think oak(ed) DIPA's can be nice. The first one I think I ever had was from 21st Amendment and I thought it was good.

16. AlexanderKnight

AlexanderKnight Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Kentucky

I really like Doom. I really don't know what's not to like about it?

beerguy04, dcotom and Chipotle like this.
  17. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,249) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I didn't care much for White Oaked Jai Alai, I bought a single Doom, but haven't tried it yet

Hayden34 likes this.
  18. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,014) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Missed the first release of Doom. Had a few BA IPAs since then but none really struck my fancy except Burial's Bulleit Scythe Rye which is phenomenal. Had my first Doom last night and at first I didn't think it was all that great, but once it got to a bit warmer temp I really liked it. Overall, it's not something I would seek out again and again but I'll enjoy a well-made one from time to time.

19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,253) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Oxygen kills Hop aroma and flavor. Barrels let in O2 over time. Connect the dots.

20. Skabiski

Skabiski Aspirant (230) Feb 2, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Doom is the only one I've had. I was surprised how much I liked it.

21. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Poo-Bah (1,532) Feb 27, 2007 Ohio

It depends on the base beer. A nice balanced IPA with a good caramel malt backbone tends to work well. While a in your face hop forward IPA doesn't work at all for me.

While I have had some good BA IPAs I usually tend to like the base IPA better. The style in general seems to be a lot for the brewery to go through when it doesn't make the product more enjoyable

22. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Zealot (552) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

23. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Disciple (378) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I thought Doom was actually pretty good. Treads on that barley wine threshold like Devil Dancer did with some age on it and I didn't think the barrel was too overpowering, I still got a lot of resinous pine hop flavor. Wife said "It tastes like pine needles soaked in bourbon." She hates bourbon so her opinion doesn't count. :p

Sixpoint had a their Willet BBA Signal IPA a few years ago on tap and I enjoyed that quite a lot. That was a barrel aged smoked IPA then blended with a fresh batch. So I think that led to a lot of flavor depth.

VABA likes this.
  24. threeviews

threeviews Zealot (512) Apr 18, 2011 New Jersey

Whether it is barrel aged our simply aged on oak, I really adore this style when done well.
    Favorites [which is most of them!]:
    - Doom (Founders)
    - Hop Crisis (21st Amendment) [Really, really bummed that they are putting this brand on hold]
    - Burton Baton (Dogfish Head)
    - Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye (Shmaltz)
    - White Oak Jai Alai (Cigar City)

tmalt likes this.
  25. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (1,904) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Tried Doom last night and wasn't impressed. From that list above Burton Baton is the one that I found really tasty. That is a great beer.

ChittyChambers and LuskusDelph like this.
  26. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,656) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

As much as it pains me to say this because I like BBA beers, I have had two BBA IPAs (Doom was one) and I was surprised that enjoyed both of them. However, I can't bring myself to become a fan because when I drink an IPA I want the hops to be the star, not the bourbon.

27. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (179) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

28. braker649er

braker649er Aspirant (298) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

Not sure about bourbon and hops, but the barreling of some IPAs really works for me.

My favorite so far is Naughty 90, an oaked IPA by Toppling Goliath.

29. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Savant (932) Sep 15, 2014 New York

The only one I've had is Doom, and while I did actually like it a lot, I liked it more for its drinkability and immense bourbon character than as an IPA. I feel like barleywine/old ale/strong ale as a style fits what BBA IPAs are going for, but better.

30. Hayden34

Hayden34 Devotee (463) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

The only one I've had that I actually enjoyed was DFH Burton Baton. Cigar City's Oaked Jai Alai was a complete disappointment for me. MUCH too sweet for my tastes.

31. turbotype

turbotype Aspirant (277) Nov 5, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

32. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,078) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

So - the question is how BA IPAs hold up since it is established that IPAs are known for their hop flavor and should be served fresh. Does the BA "time in the barrel" hurt their hop payload? How long can it be barrel aged before it is killed as an IPA? Does barrel aging change anything regarding how long an IPA can be cellared?

33. moshea

moshea Devotee (415) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Not that I am adding anything new to the conversation, but it is a scientific fact that all BBA IPAs that I have tried are nasty. All but Doom. Doom is a BA Beaurty

34. antott0523

antott0523 Zealot (510) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Hit or miss for me. In some cases I find the barrel/wood to be overpowering or underlowering.

These may not all be barrel aged, but incorporate wood in one way or another.

Doom: Tried it and didn't like it, which was disappointing, because I was very excited. It was a big, bitter IPA in my mind which did not work well with the BBA process. In this case, I needed some bigger bourbon barrel/bourbon qualities to balance out the beer.

White Oak Jai Alai: I didn't like this one. I thought the wood was too forward and it seemed a bit out of balance for me.

DFH Burton Baton: I like this one. It's a big beer that can withstand the oak flavor. All of the flavors are in unison to me.

Bolero Snort We're Bucked: A local offering which is a pale ale aged on Spanish cedar. This pale seemed to be more malt forward to me and worked very well with the Spanish cedar flavor.

35. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (433) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

ManBearPat likes this.
  36. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (707) Feb 5, 2014 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I found the hops in Doom to be fairly forward on the initial taste of the beer. I've had a few that I've very much enjoyed including Founders Doom, Burton Baton and a local favorite Community's Oak Aged Mosaic IPA.

37. Badfish

Badfish Initiate (78) Sep 6, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Yes, love em!

38. Andy311x

Andy311x Aspirant (256) Apr 28, 2008 North Carolina
    Subscriber

I enjoy them. Great Divide - Rumble is another good one that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

mancavebeercouch likes this.
  39. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,253) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

A long time ago I saw a chart of how barrels strip hops. One of the guys in my club put an IPA in a BB, and the hop aroma and flavor were gone.

There are a few references out there that show that hoppy beers should have TPO of <30 ppb (parts per billion, very small).

40. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,387) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I've only had brewery on tap ones, but yes I quite enjoyed them. I had them at Foothills brewing in Winston-Salem and they were quite the bourbon bomb, kinda like a boiler maker with the bourbon.
    Lol, there was little Bourbon " influence" just a hammer, but I'm also a bourbon lover. But the base still needs to be good or it won't work as well, but this depends on how hot the barrels used. In the case of Foothills the base would be insignificant because the beer was heavy on bourbon.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.