Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Comment Do you Rate or Review?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Hop-Droppen-Roll, Dec 27, 2013.

1. racingkenny14

I just rate beers, Most of the time I'm rating the beer at the bar. I do review places I have been to.

2. CalgaryFMC

I rate and review every beer I drink, and go out of my way to review the macros as well. Admittedly I don't buy adjunct lagers but if I get a chance I will try and review them. I enjoy writing reviews ... My guess is that few people read them or care but its a bit like keeping a record in the way bird watchers do (another hobby of mine). Part of the fun for me.

3. Reidrover

Been on here over 10 years and always reviewed, even at a bar.
    I have no real problem with people who rate although to me it seems that it makes it easier for people to pump up the score of beers without having to describe why this was a 4.75 , it also makes it easier for people to do fake rates of beers they haven't really had.

4. azorie

nah me and others beat to that by years.! lol
    my reviews match my notes. I said this in another thread I write notes for every beer. I write notes on beers I hated if I try them again. Some times it takes a while for me to understand a beer, and sometimes it just sucks and gets worse every year. Subjective TASTES. fruit beer still hate them. some Barrel aged RIS some still do not for it fo rme.

review for yourself. its not a contest. even karma does not get you anything, lol

#84 azorie, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  5. Jeffo

I only review. The whole rating thing came long after I'd already solidified my habits. I figure that if I'm going to give a beer a score, I should at least justify that score with an explanation.

I don't review every beer I drink though. If it's interesting in some way or has been given a lot of press, I'll definitely review. If it's a local shelf beer that I'm drinking while cooking dinner, I won't bother. If that local shelf beer turns out to be really awesome, I will probably go back and review another bottle at a later date. Class should be recognised.

Jeff

utopiajane and Cyrion like this.
  6. qcbrewer

I used to think I had to write a full review, but due to time (or lack of focus) I would rarely rate beers. Once I realized I could "tick" beers (which I just refer to as rate, compared to review) I've started to cover more ground. I try to rate all of my beers now, but if I feel like I have something to say that others haven't already I'll consider a full review.

7. mcrago

Rate only. I choose not to have to write a thesis for every review I want to write. There used to be (maybe still is) a requirement that reviews had to consist of a minimum of 200 words.

IMO, some beers (good and bad) don't need 200 words to describe how good or bad they are.

8. Cyrion

I really enjoy the reviews that I have read and will buy singles based on intelligent reviews. If I detect something in a beer that I think has been missed, or if I think that my description will constructively help a beer's profile, I will review it. But I don't review everything that I drink.

9. JohnnyMc

Beer Trader

I used to write reviews on here, but I shoot video reviews for YouTube so it started feeling like a waste of time to write out a review as well.

10. Whiskeydeez

Beer Trader

I started out only rating beers but I have really been trying to take the time with new beers to write my notes down. The next step is to put those notes on here ;). I usually only make sure I take notes/review with harder to find beers(for me), though I should be doing more. I have been trying to work on my tasting notes and vocab so it helps a lot to look on here and then write a review or at the very least to look at other BA's thoughts...still haven't figured out horse blanket as an aroma/taste but I love Brett. :confused:

11. kabritz

I only rate. OCD would make me spend hours "perfecting" reviews.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe