Do you remember what got you into craft beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lare453, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisL24481

ChrisL24481 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2012 New Hampshire

I stumbled across this article last summer and I haven't looked back.
    http://www.maxim.com/booze/the-10-best-beers-of-the-summer

I was mostly drink Bud Light and PBR except for the rare/occasional beer while having dinner at local establishments (Red Hook and Portsmouth Brewery). Once I began trying those summer brews from Victory, Troegs, and Anchor, I was on a mission to start branching out to new craft brews. Around the same time, a local craft beer shop opened up and I have been hooked on craft beer ever since.

velcrogrip likes this.
  2. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Devotee (486) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I got into bourbon, but grew frustrated that buying small bottles made me feel like a chump and large bottles took forever before I could justify trying a new one. Then I discovered State Line's mix-a-six.

3. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Michigan

1997. Cousin's wedding. Bell's Best Brown. Never been the same since. I don't drink a lot of Best Brown these days, but I'll run into one occasionally. It's funny how tastes like that can take you back. Thanks, Larry.

4. Travcofarms

Travcofarms Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

5. stuckeyj64

stuckeyj64 Initiate (110) Mar 22, 2012 Indiana

If Fat Tire counts, then that's the answer. If not, I'd have to say having some FFF Dark Lord and FW Sucaba within a few days of each other did the trick. Not a difficult sale after that...

6. Kmat10

Kmat10 Devotee (481) May 20, 2013 Canada

I started working at a liquor store. Then started working in the beer room

7. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2011 Illinois

One of my earlier memories of craft was back in the early 90's, I remember a buddy drinking a beer from a funny looking bottle, as he was drinking it down I noticed the bottle was clear and I was shocked because the bottle was black as night when he opened it. It was Sam Smith's Imperial stout, after that I remember buying as many different beers as I could find.

8. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (502) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

The lack of taste and just plain awefulness that is every American Adjunct Lager I drank in high school and college.
    I finally came to my senses (and had more money) and said, "if I'm gonna keep drinking this stuff, I have to find something that doesn't taste like stale piss." And so it began.

9. evilhead

evilhead Initiate (0) May 13, 2013 California

Sexy older woman bought me one, I pretended to like it more than I did, tryna look cool... now I can't get enough

10. brikelly

brikelly Aspirant (233) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

11. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (101) May 21, 2013 Ohio

The Brew Kettle put me on the path years ago. Prior to that I thought Labatt Blue was the best beer in the world. I've never had another one since then.

12. Nuwanda

Nuwanda Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2009 North Carolina

Olde Hickory Brewery Nessie's Scotch Ale.

13. litheum94

litheum94 Champion (814) Dec 29, 2008 California

It was probably my uncle Jim. He always brought a bunch of Mendocino Brewing Company beers to family gatherings. That kind of set me up for going to craft beer instead of BMC.

14. frankthetank86

frankthetank86 Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2012 New York

my friends ex-girlfriends father had this epic man cave / hang out spot in the basement of his lovely home and had this oversized beer fridge in the corner next to the homer simpson clock and a bottle opener mounted on the wall with a bucket underneath it to catch the caps. as far as i can remember he handed me one of my first "craft beers" which was the rogue dead guy ale. for one of my first, i thought it was quite tasty. then i started going over there more often and found myself also sleeping in her bed.

15. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

Mine was Bridgeport IPA; not the best example of the style, but nonetheless, I didn't know beers could taste like ths.

16. MistahBeah

MistahBeah Aspirant (276) May 12, 2013 Massachusetts

Working in a liquor store. The beer that started my forray into craft beer was the troegenator

17. Shogun730

Shogun730 Initiate (0) May 17, 2013 California

That's a pretty good list except for the end hahaha!

18. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (227) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I pretty much started with craft beer.

Well, not exactly. The first month or so I was buying stuff like Sam Adams Boston Lager, Guinness, Red Stripe, Heineken, basically stuff I'd seen commercials for that wasn't Budweiser, Miller or Coors. Then I was at the liquor store and the Weinstephaner Hefeweizen had a tag beneath it saying "Bros say 100". I bought it and it was the greatest beer I'd ever tasted. So that's when I started caring about beer ratings and craft beer.

19. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,917) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I was looking to save money by finding something other than Scotch to drink. I figured beer would be cheaper (*laughter ensues*), so I went for a familiar name (Sam Adams) and a style I always thought a little "cooler" than adjunct lagers/BMC beers (though those terms were unknown to me then), and I looked for a stout...

SA's Imperial Stout, Imperial White, and Double Bock were my first experiences in the craft beer world.

20. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,138) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

A friend of mine gave me a Leinenkugel Summer Wheat and I thought, interesting... I didn't realize beer could taste like this. Then I had an Allagash White and I was hooked. Now I'm on a quest to try em all!

21. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

Before I came of drinking age, I noticed that my dad always drank the "normal" beer as everyone else. Somehow having knowledge that there were other things out there, I decide that when I could buy my own beer, it would be different from the norm. When I turned 21, I went out and bought Bass, Guinness, and Killians Irish Red. Not realizing that I hadn't broken the norm with those beers, and with some, still supporting the BMC powers. However, at a superbowl party not long after, a friend brought a case of Franziskaner wheat, the instant I tasted it I knew I had to seek out real beers........

22. creal92

creal92 Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2013 Kentucky

Drinking Bell's Two-Hearted

jman005 likes this.
  23. 916tmcmanus916

916tmcmanus916 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2009 California

About six summer's ago or so, someone offered me a corona and lime at the lake and said hell why not. After that I thought to myself there had to be better beers out there than this. So I put down the tequila and bourbon( just for a second) and sought after better beers via this website. To many beers later I'm still here, but not really hunting rare beers as much. That's my story, sorta.

24. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan

Guinness, New Castle and Heineken

25. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

A ticket to the Chilton (hosted by Rowland's Brewery) Beerfest in WI. One ticket led to that becoming a must attend event which led to the Great Taste of the Midwest which led to an obsession with craft beer....

26. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,939) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

1. BeerAdvocate.com (thank you, Alstrom bros!)
    2. Stone Enjoy By
    3. Karbach Brewery

there's other things, but BA and all of the good insight by so many BAs (brothers included) got me into this stuff ... i thank them and thank you if i've read one of your reviews on this site -- the hardcore beer heads gripe and complain about reviewing/rating to style and they make a good point, but the bottom line is people drink a beer and do their best to score it on this site, and their attempts helped get me into good craft beer

27. bmurray10

bmurray10 Disciple (308) Feb 28, 2013 Texas

Sammy Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale. It still takes me back to 1996!!!!

28. biga7346

biga7346 Initiate (0) Jun 19, 2010 Michigan

My buddy got into brewing early on eventually going to Seibel, and he worked retail for many years so I was always around it but I can't say I really started truly understand and rightly appreciate it until I hit my mid-20s when I first tried Saison Dupont.

29. Tballz420

Tballz420 Meyvn (1,123) Mar 4, 2003 Minnesota

Ralph Steadman

30. MacQ32

MacQ32 Meyvn (1,157) Mar 5, 2010 South Carolina

On my 21st birthday I bought a 6er of Harpoon IPA and Longhammer IPA - from there I bought a different 6 pack every time I went to the store - never picking the same one twice (until celebration ale came out - my first favorite beer, although now I dont really dig it as much)

31. Tyler1tiger

Tyler1tiger Initiate (91) Mar 10, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Hunahpu Day...so many friendly, generous people sharing all this beer I had never heard about...amazing time!

velcrogrip likes this.
  32. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Initiate (0) May 15, 2011 Florida

Yes. it was 2 years ago when I turned 21. My friend bought me a Scottish ale and I haven't turned back since.

33. ZROC

ZROC Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2011 Iowa

Well, coming out of lurker status with my first post on this one. I actually never use to drink much. I would buy a sixer every payday of any new Sam Adams or Blue moon variant and considered myself rather adventurous at that point. Problem was that nothing really tasted good to me, so id have 1-2 and the rest would sit in the bottom of my fridge like a graveyard until I could pawn them off onto someone. Then, a few years back my good friend Bond brought down a new beer for us to try from Boulevard, it was part of the smokestack series, whatever that was. It was the Two Jokers Witbier and it blew me clean out of the water with all that aroma and flavor. So from there it went on to the rest of the Smokestack series, GI offerings, Rogue....etc etc....to the trainwreck it is today. Love it!!

Bond111 likes this.
  34. velcrogrip

velcrogrip Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Florida

My addiction all started with trying a Good Gourd from Cigar City at Mr. Dunderbak's in Tampa. Good Lord, Good Gourd! From there, I started trying pretty other pumpkin beers, nothing beat it, so I moved on to other CCB items, and fell in love with Jai Alai and Zhukov... which led to the natural progression - Huna. Nice to have all this in my back yard.

35. Bosoxfan20

Bosoxfan20 Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Missouri

Towards the end of my college days as a marketing major, I started to notice the gimmicks that BMC implemented in their marketing. It was about the time that Miller was promoting the wide mouth and punch top cans, Coors the color changing when cold blue mountains, and Bud added lime/tomato juice.

I thought to myself, "Why can't they sell their beer on taste alone? Wouldn't the beer be better if they redistributed their marketing budget to ingredients?" When I had this realization is when I decided it was time to venture out and try new things.

36. Rohkey

Rohkey Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2013 Michigan

A combination of:

1) Me being tired of getting mocked for drinking Mike's Hard (because I hated the taste of beer, not knowing beer existed that was better than typical BMC stuff) as well as it consistently giving me ridiculous heartburn.

2) My (then) new gf informing me that good beer did exist, and explaining the concept of microbrews/craft beer to me. I started with Summer Shandy and Obereon, and liked them a lot.

3) My undergrad advisor starting to slowly introducing me to stuff (hefes, wits, APAs) once I told him about my newly found interest in beer. I initially did not like a lot of them, though, so I often resorted back to the good ole' Shandy.

I'd say my pivotal moment was a conference I went to in Minneapolis. I had mostly stuck to drinking Summer Shandy in the late summer, and then moved on to Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest, but I decided to branch out and try new things on this trip. I saw "New Belgium Trippel" at a bar and gave it a try. Loved it, and so began my love affair with Belgian beer (as in, I started drinking actual Belgian tripels after I got back home and did some research on them, which led me to branch out into other Belgians, then other styles in general).

That was only last year, too...this year I tried a Summer Shandy when they were first released to see how my tastes have changed, and I could barely drink it...my palate was not pleased at all. Obereon is still drinkable, though.

37. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Aspirant (219) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

I've been drinking good beer since I turned 21 almost 20 years ago. No idea on the cause. (And good sours were expensive even back then.)

38. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (490) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

My brother in law and I walked into Spec's one afternoon many moons ago when Chimay was still $8.50 a 750ml bottle in Houston. Talked to a guy named Jeff, the beer guy at that time. He asked what we where looking for and we had the deer in a headlight look. It was our 1st time in Spec's downtown and 1st time ever. He said here try this. Handed us 1 Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale and 1 Chimay GR. We said ok. Went back to his house. Pulled out 2 frosted glasses from the freezer. Poured the beer and sat in the front yard drinking. Never looked back and no longer use frosted glasses.

39. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Aspirant (281) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

Was at my brothers wedding around '95 or so and they had Spanish Peaks Honey Raspberry ale. I know, a girlie beer, but up until that point it was miller lite. It opened me up to craft beer and got me into homebrewing.

40. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,819) Jan 26, 2013 Canada
    Society

I was in university and my sister started seeing a guy who owned a pub. He was partnered with the local craft brewer, and as I was "family" I was entitled to a discount. I wound up spending a great deal of time there, and I have not looked back.

By the by...I still get the family discount from that craft brewer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.