Do you remember your first?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cr0wBait, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

I am sure I am with a lot of WI people who would say New Glarus Spotted Cow was my first intro into to real beer.

2. JdoubleA

JdoubleA Aspirant (268) Apr 27, 2011 North Carolina

I didn't really drink beer much until I was 21, and when I did it was crap. Bud Ice, Red Dog, Icehouse, Natty Ice (until I figured out it makes you crazy), Mickey's, Schlitz (red bull not blue bull... I had to draw the line somewhere so I ambiguously chose the color of the animal on the label to be that line), and the namesake BMC products.

My best guess is Saranac Pale Ale. I know that the first craft beer I ordered in a bar was Redhook ESB back in '97. I still remember that, it was at BW3's onl franklin street and what I really enjoyed about it was the buttery flavor it had. Of course I was kinda grossed out years later once I learned that the buttery flavor I liked came from dirty lines.

3. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Aspirant (221) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Woodstock Inn Pigs Ear Brown Ale. Many moons ago.

4. teorn88

teorn88 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2010 England

First non-massively produced beer: Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier. I was 19yo. Delicious. Now I can't stand the banana aroma in hefes anymore, sadly. But it really opened my eyes and started me searching for better options.

5. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (3,029) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Society

I think it was Bud Light and I was 10 at a new years eve party at our neighbors and my 23 yo brother said here, leave me alone. Done. Now look what he started.

Cheers!

6. DelicateDelirium

DelicateDelirium Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 Massachusetts

The beer that got me started on craft was La Fin Du Monde and its still one of my favorites because of it

7. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

My first beer ever was Michelob. Hated it!

The first beer I enjoyed was Corona.

My first craft beet was Sam Adams Boston Lager.

The beer that opened my eyes and I haven't looked back since was DFH 90.

8. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

I was 11, and I asked my dad for a sip of the Busch he was drinking. He was distracted, so I pounded the whole thing. Man, was he mad. Man, was it awful. I know better now

9. paintchip

paintchip Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2010 New York

I found a random Saranac IPA at my parent's house and decided to give it a try. I didn't know what an IPA was and couldn't believe that beer could taste so good. I tried the rest of Saranac's beers shortly after.

10. Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2012 Arizona

My dad offered me a sip of his Bud Light when I was around 10 years old. I thought it tasted like pubic hair (which I can now identify as sulfur). Rolling Rock was the first beer I could tolerate (mainly because it tasted like water). New Castle Brown was the first beer I sort of enjoyed. From there it was a pretty fast evolution to Dos Equis Amber, Blue Moon, Kiltlifter Scottish Ale, and then into the deep end. I haven't come up since.

11. JohnnyTightLips

JohnnyTightLips Initiate (0) May 30, 2009 Illinois

Never really tried beer growing up (might of downed an unaccompanied glass at some family outing) but spring 2009, some friends pushed me to go to a beer/wine tasting that Binny's was throwing. First ones I liked were GL Dortmunger Gold and NC Scrimshaw Pilsner.
    Remembered trying 2 Hearted, 60 min, GL Commodore Perry, & Burning River at that tasting and the hoppy flavors just being too much to finish my small sampling glass. SNPA later that summer made my palate appreciate those ipas.

12. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

my first beer was a Michelob back in 1981. I'm nostalgic for that beer, but I think its quality has suffered over the years. my first six-pack was Meister Brau. got boxed out of my pants and puked on homeplate.

13. teorn88

teorn88 Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2010 England

Oddly, Corona was the first beer I liked, too. I dunno why, but I disliked everything else when I was around 14yo.

Heatwave33 likes this.
  14. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

rogue shakespeare stout, nitro

15. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,807) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I actually remember a bunch of firsts:

First beer- a sip of my dad's Rheingold at Shea Stadium mid 70s. Tasted better than it smelled.

First beer ordered in a bar- Heineken Dark. I was 17 and went to some biker bar to watch my guitar teacher play. I figured ordering the dark beer would make it look like I knew what I was doing and hopefully conceal my age. It worked, and I thouroughly enjoyed the experience.

First Guinness Extra Stout- same bar, where I became a regular. Owner/bartender offered it up as a buyback, saying "if you like dark beer, give a real one a try."

First beer to genuinely knock me out- Merchant du Vin started a promotion of Aass Bock in 1982, and I was inclined to pick some up on a whim. It was so rich and smooth, unlike anything I had had before.

16. Mantooth

Mantooth Meyvn (1,177) Dec 6, 2011 North Carolina

I've got to ask... how did you know what pubic hair tasted like when you were 10 years old?

17. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Michigan

First beer ever....Bud
    First Craft Beer....Oberon

18. Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2012 Arizona

Should have seen that coming. To the best of my recollection, I hadn't actually sampled pubic hair as a 10-year-old. For whatever reason, my young taste buds thought that sulfuric skunky taste must be what a nasty crotch tastes like.

Now, as an older and more experienced man, I don't think the comparison is that outlandish.

Mantooth likes this.
  19. Mantooth

Mantooth Meyvn (1,177) Dec 6, 2011 North Carolina

I got invited to a party next door by an older female neighbor who gave me my first. Oh, the beer was Bud.

Whiskeyjack likes this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,486) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

i used to shoulder tap guys for beer all the time and usually wound up spending twenty bucks on a twelver of olympia, and all us punks would go to the five dollar show and pound the swill. one night a guy we tapped brought out some sunshine wheat. that was the end of oly for me.

21. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

My first actual craft beer was a Sam Adams Boston Lager. I was expecting it to taste like bread. I was wrong and drain poured it.

22. Spider889

Spider889 Meyvn (1,008) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Brewery

My first beer was a Guinness. We were out after work one night, and everyone was ordering beer. I let the peer pressure get to me and wanted to order a beer as well rather than Smirnoff or whatever the hell I was into at the time. Being at least aware of the consensus that Macro beer was basically swill, I racked my brain for some sort of alternative.

Since I am Irish I figured I'd like Guinness, right? After ordering a coworker next to me says, "you're a stronger man than I, I cannot handle drinking Guinness."

I was both proud and scared hearing this. And, while it sounds dumb now, at the time Guinness was really thick and seemingly heavy, and I remember it taking over an hour to choke down the huge glass.

Flash forward a few months and the beer that truly got me into craft was the Samuel Adams seasonal stuff.

23. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Meyvn (1,321) Mar 31, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

My first was definitely a macro of some kind although I don't remember which one. I'm sure I drank some craft before 21, but again don't really remember. What I do remember is my roommate buying me a Champagne Velvet Amber at midnight on my 21st birthday. It was fantastic.

24. Groulxsome

Groulxsome Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2010 Canada

I grew up in Newfoundland, Canada, where there are only a few craft brewers there now and when I was first drinking they were really under the radar. There are were no imported craft beers and no IPA's (at all, even now). My dad drank pretty solid German Pilsners, so I'd say my first beer was something along the Holstein or DAB. I always loved beer, but my love of beer comes not from learning that I can buy good beer; it comes from discovering that truly magical beer exists which I could never buy at home.

My first real beer awaking was when I took a trip to France and bought a six pack of Leffe. It was the first time I had a beer with those esters or anything like an Abby beer. It was unbelievable. Whenever travailing from then on I looked to Abby beers and soon I discovered trappists beers and all of their joys.

One day at a brew pub in while travailing in Montreal (Réservoir) I saw a beer that said "India" in the title. There is an old beer called "India Beer" brewed by Molson (they bought the brand from an old brewery and homogenized it into a generic and overly sweet adjunct-lager) in Newfoundland which is a local legend for cheep party nights, so I thought I'd try this "India Pale Ale." My world shattered. I really tasted aroma hops for the first time. IPA's became my favorite beer style within a sip. At the time I had no idea about the West Coast, the hype of over-hopping into Hop Juice or any of that, I just realized that hops were wonderful and exotic and new. I wanted to see their limits. This was 2008. I was 23.

I got back to Newfoundland and had to learn about home brewing to get a hoppy beer. I brewed many, many IPA's searching for true hoppy-ness, with, I'll admit, a modicum of success.

I'm living in Ontario now and the craft scene here is really starting to do some interesting things and shake up the harmful liquor laws that hold craft brewers away from their market, but, again, most of the beers discussed on BA are still just out of my reach. The story of my life in beer.

Oh well, at least I have a Pliny in the fridge from my hop-tour of Southern California a week ago (still in search of the limits of hops), so maybe I'll have that now and try to remember that time when I first tasted hops. Or maybe it would be better to remember that as the last time I had a Pliny...

25. rogueleonardi

rogueleonardi Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Ohio

It was stout, and it's delicious! the double is twice as good.

26. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (260) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Honey Brown, Oregon Raspberry Wheat, and Pete's Wicked Strawberry blond were the first craft style beers I tried. They tasted a lot better than Beast Ice.

27. Msquared2

Msquared2 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2011 North Carolina

RJ Rockers Son of a Peach ... still one of my go to beers during the summer.

28. MLucky

MLucky Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2010 California

I had my first "beer" around age 13. Not sure what it was. My parents used to host cook outs for their friends, and there would be a cooler full of beer in the yard, plus more in the fridge. At some point, me and my buddy realized that all the grown-ups were outside, nobody was guarding the fridge or counting how many beers were in there, and we might as well try one. We each stuffed a can in our shorts, walked out to the woods and had a brew. I didn't like it much, but I pretended like I did. It was probably a Lucky Lager or something like that--my parents bought the cheap stuff for those get togethers.

I was living in Chico when Sierra started, and tried their beers almost as soon as they became available back in the '80s. I'd like to say I was instantly converted, but the truth is that while I liked most of the SN beers (I definitely wasn't ready for Bigfoot!), I kept drinking BMC crap for another couple years, mainly because it was cheaper and more acceptable to my friends. I gradually replaced the Bud wit imported pilsners and SNPA as my income improved over the next 3-4 years.

29. MrGreengenes2

MrGreengenes2 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2008 Indiana

First beer was budweiser. First craft was an Alpha King someone brought to a party my frosh year at IU, have not looked back.

30. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Disciple (364) Apr 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

My first real craft beer was Bell's Winter White. It opened my eyes up to better beer. Sadly, my pallet has moved on from that brew since.

31. nightwing002

nightwing002 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2011 California

my first beer ever was a coors light... still scarred from that... first craft would be a KBS...

32. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

Rogues Chocolate Stout and Samel Smiths Winter Warmer.

33. Titans77

Titans77 Initiate (169) Jul 21, 2011 Maryland

Beer would be Coors Light, followed by lots of rum and coke.
    Craft Beer was DFH 90min IPA.

34. 4ingredients

4ingredients Initiate (0) May 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Yes, in 1985 tried Sam Adams. Never looked back to BMC.

Was drinking Haffenreffer Private Stock prior.....

35. nrs207

nrs207 Defender (659) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'm not sure I even remember. Probably Blue Moon. Duck Rabbit Milk Stout was the first real intro I had to actual craft. Two Hearted got me really into it though, that was like the real intro.

Of course there's the first beer period... Natty Light from a keg.

36. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,110) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Mic Light, because that is what my father drank. Had my first Sam Adams in Indian Harbor Beach Florida in January of 1994, chad everything. First Barleywine in 1999 called Isle Pine, completely opened my eyes to the possibilities of what beer can be.

37. MsRif

MsRif Zealot (542) Oct 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

First beer was Corona Extra. First craft brew was Anchor Steam. First beer ordered from the bar was Kasteel Rouge. Corona Extra still makes me cringe...it's amazing I love beer as much as I do now considering that first experience.

38. JooJooEyeballs

JooJooEyeballs Initiate (79) Apr 1, 2008 Pennsylvania

I was around 8 or 9 years old. My grandfather use to give his Fox Terrier Ballentine XXX ... I use to steal and down the dog's bowl ... only thing different these days ... it's not in a dog's bowl!

"And in the end, the beer you take is equal to the beer others make" ... Walrus Gumboots

39. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,135) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I had had 'good' beer before but was really not into the craft beer scene. Then one day I was at my local grocery store that had a very small build your own six pack section. I tried a few, Sam Adams IS being one that I remember liking a lot because it was so different than regular beers, but I still wasn't crazy into it. A couple weeks later I went to the liquor store and stumbled upon Hopslam, almost by pure accident, as I had never even heard of it. In fact, I don't even know why I picked it, I knew I liked hoppy beers and it was on display I guess. I opened one, and BAM! I have been a craft beer lover, boardering on obsession, ever since. Fast forward a few years later and Hopslam remains my all time favorite beer.

40. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Crusader (736) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon

Widmer Snow Plow... oh how I miss that beer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.