Do you #SeekTheSeal when buying beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Jun 8, 2019.

?

Do you #SeekTheSeal when buying beer?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Huh?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,566) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Somajiahu and Roguer like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,810) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I had to read the link to understand the question, but no I drink what moves me. I bought a 12 pk of Miller on Thurs, I haven’t bought Miller in 10 years I’d guess. I buy enough AAL that I could never vote yes. The inspiration was the Coors/ Miller thread.

3. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,445) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

While I mostly buy "independent"* craft, it has nothing to do with the seal or with the BA's rather tortured definition of "independent" (hence the quotes around the word). I also frequently buy "dependent" :wink: beer, if it is what I want.

4. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,677) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

Tough question... 95 % of what I buy has The Seal, but I don’t look for it. Instead I try to keep a check on what to avoid. So yes and no, I guess.

5. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I rarely notice the seal before a purchase. The one place I do take it as a good sign is in the window of a new to me store. That usually tells me that the store cares a bit about beer and is likely to have a good selection.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,012) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I seek high quality beer within the package. I recently purchased Founders Green Zebra - that is a tasty watermelon Gose!

Cheers!

7. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (478) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Starving Alaskans seek seals... I drink what I want, mostly new stuff

loebrygg, PatrickCT, beertrip and 3 others like this.
  8. JoeWalsh

JoeWalsh Initiate (155) Mar 20, 2019 Illinois
    Society

Same here. It's just not something I need to look for.

Besides, I usually know the breweries whose products I'm buying. It's rare for me to buy even a single bottle knowing nothing at all about the company behind it.

neenerzig, beertrip, nw2571 and 3 others like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,413) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I think a very high percentage of micro breweries belong to the Brewers Association and carry the seal so I don't bother to look, thus any beers other than the macros is fair game for purchase. (And that includes imports.)

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Defender (678) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey
    Society

I will usually check after I buy it, it is a nice addition but not a priority. It is hard enough to find beer that is not out of date-

11. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,069) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I said no because I just do not look for it before I purchase, that said, most of my beer purchases are craft even without the seal. Example: 3 sheep's. No seal but obviously craft to me. And Pipeworks too.

12. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (219) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Nope. A can of horse piss could have a seal on it ......

13. Loops

Loops Initiate (56) Feb 13, 2014 Missouri

No, I buy a six back of Mich Ultra and a 4 back of 4 Hands Nitro. Balance of cost and calories.

14. stoumi

stoumi Zealot (508) May 12, 2015 California
    Society

Don't drink any beer that isn't independent craft. That said, I won't look down anyone who drinks other beer, as it's beer that brings us all together. We each have different ideas on beer and what we want to drink. Cheers!

LuskusDelph likes this.
  15. JamFuel

Society

Totally agree, I do my research...

16. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,129) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Minhas: seal
    Founders: no seal
    Lagunitas: no seal
    Ballast Point: no seal
    Goose Island: no seal

So, no.

17. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,332) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Huh?

loebrygg likes this.
  18. rgordon

rgordon Savant (931) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

That's a good one. I support dependent, independent, and impudent brewers, like DFH or Stone.

19. zid

zid Meyvn (1,283) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

This might be a dumb question - Do you only buy American beer or is this BA seal used by European brewers too?

FBarber, PapaGoose03 and JamFuel like this.
  20. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (887) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I don't seek the seal out, but 90% of what I buy now is either Sierra Nevada or from local owner operated breweries.

21. JamFuel

Society

Maybe I should clarify: 95 % of the American beer I buy has the seal. 95% may be a bit high, thinking about it. But there are no European equivalents to my knowledge. And Sweden doesn’t really have big, ”evil” breweries. :grin:

neenerzig, zid and FBarber like this.
  22. Sheppard

Sheppard Savant (984) Mar 16, 2013 Virginia

I don't look for the seal. I may notice it but it doesn't factor into my purchase at all (i.e. it's meaningless). Like some have said they do, I try to stay up on the breweries whose beer I'm buying from. If they do something wrong (e.g. Founders), I stop purchasing their products. At least for home consumption, I am probably mostly buying something with the seal or would qualify for the seal. At bars, the pickens can sometimes be more slim.

23. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (577) Mar 28, 2009 California

For me I #seeknottobreaktheseal

JoeWalsh, meanmutt, GuyFawkes and 5 others like this.
  24. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Devotee (420) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

not unless hamm's has it hidden somewhere on the can. i honestly can't be bothered to think that far when i'm at the store cause i'm usually trying not to drop my groceries while i check the bottom of boxes for a date

25. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,075) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

Absolutely not

LuskusDelph, DrumKid003 and GuyFawkes like this.
  26. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,413) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I doubt that foreign breweries can be members of the Brewers Guild but I don't feel like looking it up to know for sure. :slight_smile:

#26 PapaGoose03, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    dcotom and Bitterbill like this.
  27. tolar111

tolar111 Defender (653) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society

Does Yuengling use the seal or do they just assume everyone knows that they are number one on the Brewers Association list of the top 50 producing craft beer companies?

"We need the dues" - Animal House

28. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Devotee (448) Jun 23, 2004 Oregon
    Society

I answered "Huh?" because I had no idea what the question was about. I have seen the label but not particularly taken notice of it. Quick survey of the fridge found the symbol on 2 of 6 independent brewery's products. Caldera - seal. pFriem - seal. Crux - no seal. Deschutes - no seal. Sierra Nevada - no seal. Zoiglhaus - no seal.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  29. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,050) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I’m in the minority on this sort of thing, but I don’t pay much attention to the seal.

As a newly-legal drinker cost might have been a factor (then-Micro now-Craft Beer has always retailed for more than “Macro” beer), but in college I’d begun homebrewing and learned to appreciate e.g. adjunct use.

My longtime approach to Craft Beer as a lifestyle choice, and going out of your way to support it is: “Cool! Knock yourself out!” But my lifestyle was never such that Craft became a part of my identity (I’ve enjoyed about 65% “Macro” to 35% Craft beer for decades).

That said, I hope the seal has been effective for Brewers Association and its members!

ChazBoner likes this.
  30. Riff

Riff Champion (837) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Nah, I generally know who is independent. Sometimes that matters, sometimes it doesn't.

LuskusDelph, 2beerdogs and Lonestar9 like this.
  31. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (99) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Beside's the seal there's a lot of gray area at times as to who owns whom and at what percentages while they are being contract brewed by whom and who owns them and at what percentage ad infinitum AND WHO"S WATCHING THE WATCHMEN????

32. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (598) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I'd be more interested in a seal that let me know if breweries that were making an effort to use ecologically sustainable practices and/or economically equitable practices personally.

33. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,003) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

Not at all. Could care less about that logo.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  34. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (707) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I drink Hamms a bunch. It’s beer, it’s crafted by a person so it’s craft beer.

This whole argument over what is and is not is boring at this point.

Drink what you like. Don’t let others decide for you with a seal or because the majority says it’s piss.

Fuck, for me drinking beer is about hanging with friends and other cool people. I don’t care what beer it is. When in Rome.....

Enjoy

LuskusDelph and nc41 like this.
  35. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,755) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Not at all. Although I am seeing it pop up more and more on local breweries' labels.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  36. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,120) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Right off the bat: no, I do not.

However (and of course there's a caveat with me), when I notice the seal on a purchase I'm already planning on making, I am slightly pleased. Much like the Trappist seal, it's a sign that someone has given their stamp of approval for how they do business. That doesn't make it explicitly worth seeking out, for me, but if it's something others specifically seek out, I certainly wouldn't hold that against them or second guess their judgment.

2beerdogs and FBarber like this.
  37. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,270) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

They do not.

tolar111 likes this.
  38. WA_Brian

WA_Brian Disciple (312) Nov 17, 2015 Washington
    Society

I voted yes, because I don't buy AB InBev products on principle. So I do make purchasing decisions based on ownership and I do choose to support independent companies over large corporations in this case. That seems to be what the label is all about.

That said, I don't specifically look for the label since I know who is owned and who isn't.

beertunes and Junior like this.
  39. Junior

Junior Zealot (599) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Yes and no. I think I stay pretty well informed of which breweries are independent and which are not. The majority of my purchases are from independent breweries. Some have the seal on packaging and some do not. My one exception is Founders. I do not care that they do not have the seal. They are only 30% owned by Mahou San Miguel, they make great beer at a great value and they are local to me.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  40. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (802) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Society Trader

So far 75% "no" and not surprised.

That should make the Brewers Association nervous because candidly I see little value behind that "branding."