Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Comment Do you think most BAs rate beers too high?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by krl2112, Mar 14, 2013.

1. kvgomps

kvgomps Feb 10, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Didn't read all the posts so someone may have already said it, but most of us (presumably) grew up with an education system where a 60% was an F. Apply that scale here and everything under a 3 is a Fail and a 4 is still a mediocre grade. Granted education grades are a percentile of something concrete(ish) and this scoring is more or less arbitrary, but they sure do seem to align if you look at beer scores/quality.

SadMachine likes this.
  2. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Feb 13, 2011 California

I think most users rate too highly. Especially on the Hads - which is a tough thing. I wish I could just say "Had" and not give a score.

Admittedly, my first slew of reviews were probably inflated as well. But still, I think the answer to the OP is YES.

3. cdmillard

cdmillard Feb 17, 2013 Maryland

I tend to not rate beer styles that I don't care for, as I think it does a disservice to the beer. I, for one, am not a fan of Hoppy beers...I know...a crime, right? BUT..that doesn't make them bad. I let the guys that are hop fans rate those, as they can give an accurate rating. NOW...Belgian quads....I'll chime in on that one!

4. Rekrule

Rekrule Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

The majority of my hads are negative rdev. So for me I say yes.

5. cjoc83

cjoc83 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I saw one beer review that was absolutely scathing, guy said he hated it, would never buy it again, yadda yadda...gave it around a 3.3.

6. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Jun 4, 2010 District of Columbia

I choose not to rate beers unless I think I am going to really like it or if I do really like it. I also have a ton of beers I havent rated and loved...so with me it is completely random, but it may look like I give out high scores easily.

7. Thehuntmaster

Thehuntmaster Sep 2, 2009 South Africa

I guess it depends on what you consider your 'average' beer and whether you rate beers 100% to style.

For example, if I only consider Bourbon BA stouts, then BCBS is probably average. On the other hand, if I am considering all beers, BCBS is a hell of a lot better than average.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe