Does Anybody Like Brut IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ssimpson89, Dec 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Savant (926) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Just had this tonight as well, was really like your typical super bitter but hoppy Stone DIPA. Dry but lacking the extreme degree which is what Brut is supposed to be all about.

I've had a couple of standout ones made by Flatlands Brewing and Laughing Monk and a whole lot of ok ones I wouldn't take over a basic IPA. Still mostly misses at this point.

#121 BayAreaJoe, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. AnthonyKolka

AnthonyKolka Initiate (48) Oct 9, 2018 Michigan

I think it's a fad, but I didn't hate the 4 noses Brut I had the other day. I wasn't exactly exciting or anything.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  3. Michael_B_Friesen

Michael_B_Friesen Initiate (40) Dec 17, 2014 Canada

I had two before making one that I put on tap at the North Vancouver Beer festival this fall. It went over very well, but not with IPA people. The non IPA people loved it. It was light (but 7%), dry but not bitter, and very aromatic.
    I feel like it is a style that should have more acidity than most do. It is trying to take a cue from sparkling wine after all. I think that could perk more people's interest. I have big plans for playing with this style. I think it has great possibilities .

4. KMcGrath

KMcGrath Zealot (503) Nov 25, 2014 Massachusetts

I loved the Brutus brut IPA from Riverwalk Brewing. It was nice to finally have a beer that I could see through again :-)

5. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (292) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Haven't tried it yet, keep seeing it and wonder whether I should buy it or not. I like dry hopped ipas mainly with emphasis on doubles.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  6. jpweisel

jpweisel Initiate (148) Jun 23, 2005 New Jersey

I have tried a few. Poorly made examples are really awful but when you find a well made example they are worth searching for. The two I have enjoyed the most are Tired Hands and Free Will Brewing.

7. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (283) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Mmmm, I think I’ll have a chocolate chocolate.

zid likes this.
  8. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Crusader (769) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Society Trader

I'm curious enough but haven't tried one. I don't get out much so most of my beer drinking is at home. So I'm always reluctant to buy a 6-pack or 4-pack of something I'm unfamiliar with.

9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,201) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Since people think that white chocolate "technically" isn't chocolate, then there can be some truth in your joke. :slight_smile:

Harrison8 likes this.
  10. SEALAG

SEALAG Initiate (32) Sep 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have only had one Brut IPA - ‘Week 104’ by Industrial Arts, and I would definitely get it again.

Harrison8 and TongoRad like this.
  11. zid

zid Meyvn (1,201) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Being a bit playful with you: I think I know what you mean, but the way you put that sounds sorta backwards. I don't think "session IPAs" were going for a certain flavor profile and had to sacrifice ABV to get there. :slight_smile:

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,653) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

A couple of BAs have brought up the 'analogy' of Session IPAs. I personally am not a fan of Session IPAs since they come off as watery for my palate. Have folks who have tried various Brut IPAs felt those beers were watery?

Cheers!

13. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,816) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I've had several brut IPAs, but since most were not very good, I'm ignoring them in this response. The two that I had that were very good both had almost no malt presence. I could see how, that would read to a palate as "watery". I personally did not find these particular examples "watery" but that was because I wasn't expecting much of a malt presence - I was expecting something more light and spritzy.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW I have had a handful of Brut IPAs (so far). I did not find any of those beers to be thrilling but I personally would not describe them as being watery. In contrast basically every Session IPA I have consumed had a watery quality to them.

I really wish that the Brut IPAs from Social Kitchen & Brewery was available to me. It would be very helpful to try a 'good' Brut IPA to establish a baseline.

Cheers!

15. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (245) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

Since Surly's been working on our brut IPAs I've been sampling as many other examples as I can find out in the world. As with all other IPA styles there are some that are more successful than others. To me, the hallmark of a successful Brut IPA is one that delivers a big hop aroma and flavor punch up-front, with a moderately filling mid-palate, and that fades into nothingness at the finish. With just a hint of hop and malt flavor lingering.

Where many version fall short for me have been:
    • Promising a mega hop/fruit aroma and then not delivering in flavor
    • Using the enzymes to dry the beer out too much, so it becomes astringent and unpleasant at the finish rather than crisp and clean.
    • leave too-little malt so that the mid-palate becomes thin and seems watery.
    As with anything, the devil is in the details. It's finding the balance of hops/malt/dryness/finish that separated the good from the unsatisfying. Once a brewer has a real hit with the style, so that most folks can agree on what's good, there will be a better, more accurate version of where the style will adapt.

It's too soon to say whether they trend will be a fad, or simply a blip on the beer style radar, but it's been fun to watch the early adoption of something fun in the marketplace.

Brut IPA is one of the first "viral" beer styles and a real reflection of the brewing era we live in now.

-Bill

drtth, dcotom, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  16. JackHorzempa

Society

Bill, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

I have yet to drink a 'good' Brut IPA but the search continues.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Jack

FBarber likes this.
  17. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,472) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Watery is definitely one of the pit falls of the style it seems, @BillManley covered that aspect really well I think. As for the one's I've tried and enjoyed; two from Mile Wide in Louisville was very nice, Gimme the Brut from Hi-Wire in Asheville was also pleasant, those are the only two I've rated on this site and I liked Hi-wire's more than most.
    Other good ones I've had but not added in here were Triple Zero from Final Draft in Redding, CA, one from Von Ebert in Portland, and one from BareBottle in SF.
    Also worth noting is that I took some cans from Final Draft in Redding and drove several hours in the summer, wrapped them in a sleeping bag and buried them at the bottom of my stuff to try to keep them from getting to hot, but when I got home the flavors had changed markedly. Not sure if it was heat or an issue with canning but I wonder if the lack of body makes flavor changes more likely or more noticeable?

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (202) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

Do companies use something different in these beers?

Had one and my stomach was wrecked for a couple days.

19. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (749) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Jack, give Drake's Brightside Extra Brut IPA a try...probably a few good ones on the East Coast, too. I think a Gamma Amylase beer could be a session beer if one cuts back on the grain bill, but it could also be a delicious 7% IPA/1.054 OG Beer (Brightside)...cheers and happy holidaze

JackHorzempa likes this.
  20. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Short answer: No

Long Answer: Nope

21. JackHorzempa

Society

Barry,

Next time I am in California or Nevada I will seek it out.

And a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you as well.

22. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (245) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

No, nothing different really.
    Brewers use an amylase enzyme which breaks down the carbohydrates in grains further than normal mashing making the resulting sugars more available as fuel for yeast, which makes for a drier beer with less body. None of that should mess with your natural gut balance.

dcotom and JackHorzempa like this.
  23. scream

scream Meyvn (1,242) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Never had one :slight_smile:

24. ChristopherProvost

ChristopherProvost Initiate (111) Dec 24, 2013 New Hampshire

I tried Stone's Enjoy By 01.01.19 Brut IPA a couple of weeks ago in San Diego. It wasn't bad but nothing special as far as I'm concerned.

25. KBS

KBS Disciple (312) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Old Nation is going to be canning their first shortly and am excited to try it. They are claiming virtually no carbs (currently testing to be sure) and that is part of the attraction since I am trying to shed a few pounds with less carbs. If it has pretty good flavor and almost no carbs, I'm in.

dcotom, GreenKrusty101 and FBarber like this.
  26. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,816) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I'll try this one for sure. They do a good job with their NE style IPAs.

KBS likes this.
  27. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (90) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado
    Trader

Ive had a brut ipa from weldwerks, pure project, ska, and new belgium. Didnt like either one. I figured the style wasnt for me and I wont be trying anymore

28. Beerzoid

Beerzoid Initiate (32) Jan 11, 2008 Arizona

Had that Stone Brut last night. Did not like it either

29. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (258) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Just had my first one. Not as good as a NEIPA but better than a west coast IPA imo. I know Im in the minority here, but the less bitter the ipa the better and NEIPA and Brut are less bitter than west coast.

30. JackHorzempa

Society

Unless that Brut IPA is a Stone Enjoy By Brut IPA?

Cheers!

31. SierraSam

SierraSam Initiate (27) Nov 30, 2018 North Carolina

Sierra Nevada Brut IPA went on tap in Mills River today. Not really being a brut fan, I was very pleased. Not as dry as a traditional/most bruts I've tried. Very well done though, very drinkable.

#151 SierraSam, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  32. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (239) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

Much like a black IPA, they sound good but usually disappoint.

33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,502) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

There's really nothing about any of these styles that make them superior in and by themselves. There's bad IPAs, bad Dipa, bad NEIPAS, bad Brut. There also excellent examples of each, simply comes down to a beer just flat out being well made. You can't blanket a style, any style.

thuey and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  34. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,075) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I can see it now: Sandstone Parker Estate Brewed Brut IPA, packaged with frosted glass and wax sealing, with cork. I really like lighter, not fuzzy and juicy, but rather dry IPAs that have some bite. Brut IPA is actually an interesting- but distracting- marketing technique.

tasterschoice62 and nc41 like this.
  35. nc41

Society Trader

I agree , Brut in and by itself is a bit distracting. Brut is dry, Session IPAs are dry. Brut IPAs abv are significantly higher. I was quite happy with the Born Yesterday I enjoyed last weekend, no gimmicks, just a nice well done fresh hop IPA. Maybe it's me, but the gimmicks look like Brewers short cuts for whatever reason. Maybe I'm wrong though.

36. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,472) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Session IPAs weren't/aren't dry, at least not in my experience. They are really just higher hopped pale ales. Some are drier than others but dryness isn't inherent to the style. I think that's the 'stylistic' contribution of the Brut, the aim is a super dry super hoppy IPA.

37. nc41

Society Trader

From what I’ve had I’d say the reduced malt in session ipas makes them inherently dry. Less malt, less sweet, less Abv. I love bitter ipas, but I find these a bit much. Might be overly simplistic, but if your brewing a 4% ipa something has to give.

38. MonkeyBread

MonkeyBread Defender (622) Apr 26, 2014 Nevada
    Trader

Good ones are amazing. Beechwood Brewing did one that was incredible. Joseph James here in Vegas did one for Khoury’s, a bottle shops anniversary, that was also amazing. Other than those two most I’ve had are average or rough. Stone’s recent one is a poor representation of the style. Didn’t like it at all.

39. medb

medb Initiate (59) Aug 27, 2013 California

Could you achieve similar esults using a saison yeast and go big on hopping to hide the yeast characteristics?

40. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (749) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Not enough hops anywhere to cover a saison yeast, imho :grimacing:
    Some champagne yeast has been used as an alternative/supplemental approach, though, from what I have heard..

medb, TongoRad and FBarber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.