Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Does anyone else really dislike Black IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by darkmoon66, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetwaterman

sweetwaterman Jan 27, 2005 North Carolina

Pop: ~320 million. Odds are, yes, someone else dislikes black IPAs

2. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

The only ones I have liked are FW Wookey Jack and Maine Beer Co Weez.

3. superspak

superspak May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I like every color of IPA; Black, white, red. I prefer Black/Red IPAs to have a solid malt foundation and be pushing towards being balanced, but are still hop forward. I have had a few that were black and tasted like a normal IPA. White IPA needs to have the witbier yeast or it's not a white IPA IMO. (Looking at you NB Accumulation)

All that aside, my favorites:

Stone Sublimely, Hoppin Frog Hop Heathen, Southern Tier Iniquity, FW Wookey Jack, Deschutes Hop in the Dark, Arcadia B-Craft, Founders Inspired Artist(needs to come back), Shorts Goodnight Bodacious

#83 superspak, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  4. mechamifune

mechamifune Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I don't dislike the style per se, but after having a few dozen examples of the style over the years I just don't feel compelled to seek it out. If the option is there i'd rather have a "normal" IPA or stout.

5. AlaskanYoung

AlaskanYoung Dec 1, 2011 Arkansas

Love black ipas

6. prock180

prock180 Mar 9, 2013 Arizona

Most of them that i have had i thought were great. dubhe, mountain standard, sublimely, devastation, sante fe black ipa, butchertown by speakeasy are all excellent examples at least for me. I like the style and look foward to trying new ones that i run into.

7. ziggyzoggy

ziggyzoggy Apr 30, 2013 Ohio

Had a MadTree "Everything Went Black" black IPA Thursday night. Not bad, but wasn't overly impressed.

8. DemoniChris

DemoniChris Jun 4, 2013 Nebraska

One of my favorite styles. SSR and Wookey are obviously at the top of the game. Mountain Standard and Black Top on a lower tier, but certainly worthy contenders of the style. Grainstorm by Boulevard was pretty tasty as well, though I don't remember it much. Gonna have to reevaluate when it comes out again.

9. BergBeer

BergBeer Aug 21, 2013 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Wookey jack is liquid gold. For real.

10. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Feb 27, 2007 Ohio

I love porters, stouts, and IPAs. I've had a bunch of Black IPAs- and the majority of them to be misses because it can be a hot mess of resin and roasted malt bitterness-besides the flavors usually don't mix well for me.

There are however, a handful of these that I really like. One of those that I really enjoy is sublimely self righteous.

11. CalgaryFMC

CalgaryFMC Aug 2, 2013 Alberta (Canada)

I don't hate them but yeah, its a tricky style. Too much hops and you get unpleasant clashes with the roasted malts that taste like someone mixed stale coffee with rancid warm orange juice, too little hops and you basically have a porter. In Western Canada there is a "Cascadian brown ale" called Skookum from Phillips that strikes a decent balance.

12. shredder83

shredder83 Feb 21, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I love anger, that's one of the black ipas I've had.

13. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I dont dislike them, but they are loosing their appeal to me. The first one I had was Sublimely Self Righteous a couple years ago (when it was the anniversary release I believe). I loved it. But the more I drink different examples of the style, the less I like of the style as a whole. I do really enjoy SSR still though.

14. russpowell

russpowell May 24, 2005 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Love many of the ones listed here (SSR, Mountain Standard & Dubhe ). Marshall from Tulsa makes a nice one El Cuy Cuy. The poorly executed ones always come across astringent to me & are dumpster fires at best...

15. darky

darky Apr 16, 2010 South Dakota

I agree. Possibly my least favorite variety. Falls into the "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" column.

16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Really dislike the style. Give me an IPA, give me a Porter. Don't want to them mixed together.

GuitarIPA likes this.
  17. Brew_Junkie

Brew_Junkie Dec 13, 2013 Delaware

I honestly never had a Black IPA that I immediately didn't want to spit out. I've tried and tried to like atleast one, even going to some of my favorite brewers, but still no joy. This was probably one of the last one I've had before I quit the style for good. Laughing Dog has many good offerings though. www.laughingdogbrewing.com

[​IMG]

18. GuitarIPA

GuitarIPA Mar 24, 2013 Connecticut

I can't get into them.

19. SFNC

SFNC Apr 7, 2013 North Carolina

I have not had one that I would revisit. Shame, it looks a good concept on paper.

20. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I don't really get the point of them. I've had Mountain Standard and Dubhe - both huge, flavorful beers, wouldn't get either again. I'm over white IPA's as well. Just make a regular IPA, dammit.

21. surfrogue1

surfrogue1 Mar 14, 2013 Maryland

ARE YOU F$%KING KIDDING ME??? All Hops, All Stoke. Come to the Dark Side!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe