Does anyone feel like stepping back from IPAs sometimes?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Jun 1, 2018.

1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (311) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

I've been noticing lately that I've only been drinking IPA's and ignoring every other style. I kind of need to "detox" from them a bit. Every single time I go to a bar, restaurant, or brewpub with new stuff on tap I just gravitate toward the IPA's.

alucard6679, orphan, SHDoyle and 17 others like this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,517) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

No, I step back from IPA all of the time. Sour beers, fruit beers, brown ale, pilsner, helles, stout...

I know what you're saying though.

3. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (174) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

So I have been drinking craft pretty exclusively for about 5 years now. After my palate adjusted to hops, that seemed to be all I wanted. Now, over the last year, that's changed, and I am learning to appreciate a balance of styles on my weekends. I have noticed, on a rare three night in a row session, that the IPA's just fall flat. Palate fatigue is a real thing for sure!

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,157) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I've always rotated between styles, as fits my mood. IPAs can get quite boring, quickly, as they're mostly so similar. Plus, it's just more interesting in general to change things up on the regular.

5. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,455) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I know what you're saying, once you get a taste for well made IPA's it's hard not to want that hoppy goodness in your mouth. I have been there over the years for sure, I guess I have had LTS strongly five or six times.

Nowadays I try to enjoy as many different styles as I can. So many great ones out there. This strategy seems to make every style I try taste even better. This is doubly true for hoppy beers, the fewer you drink the more you enjoy those you do drink

6. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

I've noticed that if you drink a lot of Imperial IPA's you will start to eat through other beers. I'm having a Voodoo KillaPilz right now and it's 7.5% ABV and it's like nothing in the glass. I could chug the whole entire bottle like it's a Bud Light or something.

I would hate to see what I could do to beers I used to drink like Coors and Bud these days lol.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (488) Mar 19, 2012 California

Same here. My fridge is mostly full of stouts, porters, old/strong ales, barelywines, Belgian quads, and wild ales. At most, I will drink an IPA once a week, but usually once every two weeks. I like to have them fresh so tend to drink them at the source.

8. Reemer686

Reemer686 Initiate (182) Oct 13, 2014 Maryland

I tend to drink a lot of hop forwards beers in the warm months so by the time Fall rolls around, I'm "hopped out". That's when I'll switch over to German style's like Marzen's and Dunkel's.

jdurey, Bchlver, flaskman and 3 others like this.
  9. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,517) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

One of the thing that I often think about is how time has changed things since I got into beer. When I started it was Bud/Miller/Coors and Canadian beers and other imports. I loved English ales if I could find them, and the occasional odd beer from Belgium or Germany. Then there were a few micros as time went by, and then more, but IPAs still weren't that common. Now there are a thousand choices and it's easy to start out "big". For me I appreciated the nuances first, and then the "bam" - will new drinkers these days be able to go from the "bam" to the subtle? Or will they just go to whiskey and wine?

10. cmiller4642

Beer Trader

but wet hop season tho....

then in January/February beers like Hop Juju and Hopslam drop.

11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,362) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I can see where you coming from but honestly I drink enough variety to keep it fresh. Usually I enjoy my coffee beers, lagers, and others to make the IPA still tasty.
    Cheers

You can always roll with a Black IPA :stuck_out_tongue:

Mvsmvs92, TheBrewsky and Premo88 like this.
  12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (915) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

I love IPAs. I brew them at home. That said, I've found myself steering clear of them when I purchase beer at the store or bar. For instance, we were in NYC this past weekend and I think out of a couple dozen beers that I had while there, I might have had 2 IPAs, and those were on the recommendations of the bartenders. It kills me that at a lot of the great places that we went somewhere between a third and a half of the beer menu were IPAs. I understand that you have to have what people want or they'll go someplace else, but it's getting to the point that I find them derivative and boring.

13. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (174) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Seriously, it is hard to take it slow with beers like that anymore.

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  14. bkbeerdude15

bkbeerdude15 Initiate (150) Dec 22, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I find that about two years ago, I used to gravitate towards IPAs. Over the past few years, they have been all the rage. And breweries know that. Which is why they are pumping them out like wildfire. Easy money in a can, almost sure to sell out for releases.

It seems this coincides with the emergence of the NEIPA. It was so novel to enjoy a tropical, juicy IPA without the bitterness. I used to live in BK around the onset of the style. I was there for the OH, LIC, Singlecut, Finback, Interboro, etc. openings. Everything was fine and dandy. Life was good.

Having had so many of these new school IPAs, they started to all blend in with each other. Citra dry hop this, citra dry hop that, citra lupulin powder that, rinse and repeat (insert new tropical hop here). So many breweries started replicating the same formula.

It's now rare that I seek out an IPA. I tend to prefer to mix it up. For the summer, I'm down with the low abv berliners, goses, saisons, wild ales, hefes, lagers, etc. On cooler days, I'll go for a stout. Every now and again, I'll mix in an IPA. But I typically don't crave them anymore.

15. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,605) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina

All the time. Actually Im on a one month beer hiatus, not only to reset my palate, but to reset my body.

IPAs really seem to take a toll on my palate, and I've found myself the past couple of months not being able to finish a 16 oz can due to hop overload. Hopefully this reset will help me out.

16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (915) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Went to LIC after spending some quality time at Mikkeller Citi Field, where I drank some lovely Suarez lagers. LIC had 6 beers on tap. 5 were IPAs. :rolling_eyes:

Agreed.

bkbeerdude15 likes this.
  17. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (683) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Hard to get away from IPAs, especially the New England style! Most of the breweries I live near brew 80% IPAs. That's what makes them money so it will probably continue. If I want other styles, I have to go to the bottle shop.

I'm sure most of us here have access to good bottle shops with variety, so I don't see any reason to be "burned out"..but I can see it happening if one frequently visits breweries dominated by IPAs.

18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,839) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

Variety is the spice of life.

Too many Ipas, doubles/imperials, now, too many sours. I love ditching them for a good Pils, Helles, Brown...

19. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (350) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I've been craving porters lately, but it's hard to find much selection in that style lately. I end up drinking ipas because all the dark beers I see are imperial this or that and I'm not into pils/belgians/sours. I'd like to see more 6-8% porters, preferably with some tasty additives like toasted coconut or coffee.

20. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (142) Nov 10, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I had to last summer for a few weeks. I was hit with the infamous "IPA fatigue" where they all tasted the same and didn't have much flavor going on. It helped immensely when I went back to them. Also going to VT next week, so I've been staying clear of IPA's since last Sunday until next weekend. Sticking with lagers, goses, stouts etc.

smbslt and Premo88 like this.
  21. Premo88

Premo88 Meyvn (1,467) Jun 6, 2010 Texas

What's an IPA? :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I joke but style burnout is a real thing. Palates do funny things sometimes, and one of those things is get bored with the stuff you love most.

It happened to me once with English pale ales, which really bummed me out for about two weeks, but I recovered. :wink:

eppCOS, BigAggie89, frognot and 19 others like this.
  22. woodchipper

woodchipper Savant (968) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Premium Member

I drink Helles, Pilsners, Stouts, Brown Ales, Saisons all the time but the gravity of IPAs is strong (figurative Newtonian gravity, not specific gravity). Love variety, but IPA is certainly what I drink the most of.

23. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,626) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Yes. I really abhor “Fruited and or Hazy” (D)IPAs. Only because they’re predictable. So I gravitate toward Imperial American Adjunct Lagers, German Lagers and Belgian (Style) Ales. I do this to get an overall appreciation of all styles of beer..even the ones most on this site Grind their teeth at.

24. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (122) Mar 16, 2018 New Hampshire

I find it difficult to get into IPAs currently. There are so many, perhaps too many to choose from, that I cannot distinguish one from the other. As such, I don't really buy IPAs, largely because I think there is a lot of "white noise" behind it all with too many names, too many brands, and as such I don't know what to choose or what distinguishes one IPA from another.

I really wish that less breweries focused on IPAs, particularly since it often comes at the expense of other styles. I find that to particularly be the case in my state.

ESHBG, Premo88 and beertunes like this.
  25. LarryV

LarryV Savant (998) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

I know what you're saying as well. I mostly drink IPA's but I also keep other styles on hand so I can change it up when I feel the urge to do so. I like a good pilsner or lager to change things up since most of them aren't hop forward and it makes for a nice break. It's not something I consciously think about, it's more like I don't feel like an IPA today so I'll have something else.

26. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (381) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Yes, but my issues is I have been gravitating towards lower alcohol beers.
    You cant find many good stouts, they are all imperial stouts. Porters are eeking towards 7 or 8%
    scotch ales are high in alcohol.
    Lagers - meh.
    not a fan of low alcohol sours so those are out.
    the NEIPAs or pale ales offer some beers at "kinda" lower alcohol levels.
    I love meads but 13-14% - yikes
    Seems like hoppy pales and IPAs are the best choices.

gotta mix it up once in a while though

BruChef and TonyLema1 like this.
  27. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (366) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

I like to think I have a highly sophisticated beer-palate. In all the beer forums I follow, this one is my favorite because I feel most of ya'll match my self-proclaimed sophistication.

An example: I'd rather drink no beer, then shitty beer. On vacation, I stuck to water and icetea at the restaurants because the beer options were damn awful.

That said - to me, IPAs are the entry point to great craft. Sours and farmhouse ales are the true creme-de-la-creme. Exceptional stouts closely follow.

Do I get tired of IPAs - for sure. Ive been over the NEIPA thing for a while now. I want a brewery to crank out the next world-renowned West Coast IPA because I miss them. But any IPA is better then no IPA - so I guess in that sense Ill always drink them.

gr8ful, beergoot and Premo88 like this.
  28. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Disciple (304) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Palates are a funny thing.

I used to have 1-2 ipas a night. Over time , the apparent lingering bitterness got lost in the mix. I guess that's how we got to 100 ibu WC style ipas at the time. Now the extreme is residual sugars. I brought back a couple cases of MT beers from CA a couple months back and they coincided with a local brewery doing hazy brews. So for awhile, it was daily hazy brews. Sweetness definitely took over my senses

For the past few months, I've only been drinking on the weekends. Last week, my first beer in five days was an IPA that I love (have had cases of it over the years) but that lingering bitterness almost became astringent to the point of coating my tongue and just simply not liking it. It felt like I would have needed three to get my palate back in sync.

I've had instances where I just hate the initial taste of beer (any beer) after a break. I remember even beers like pilsner urquell were feeling like whole new flavor experiences. I get some spicy hop notes out of it along with the crackery malt base.

A lot of NE ipas have a ton of residual sugars in them. I liken the experience to not drinking sodas for awhile and then trying one. It'll taste overly sweet. Likewise if you have one or two a day, your mouth gets used to that sugar. Same with salt. First few times trying stuff without salt will leave with wondering wtf, but your body can adjust.
    -------
    Tldr. I think it's healthy to switch it up and take extended breaks. I'm currently in my light beer phase now with some pilsners, goses, and AALs. But I have found surprising your palate can be helpful too. I'll throw in a room temp FBS just to see (btw how cool is it to see may bottle dates on FBS).

I think a palate ramp up is and should be normal. But often times we drink the extremes right away. I think that's when you need to step away and rest your senses.

ESHBG likes this.
  29. smbslt

smbslt Champion (858) Dec 26, 2010 Illinois
    Premium Member

Without a doubt everyone goes down the slippery IPA slope. I remember early on a more seasoned beer drinking friend asked if I ever got tired of drinking IPAs. I can only imagine the disdained look on my face as a I responded, 'Yeah if I can't find one hoppier than the last one I had.'

I won't lie I struggle but I am proud to say that it has been two weeks since my last one. 'One day at a time,' I tell myself knowing I will go back hoping for another jaw-clenching, salivary gland squeezing release.

BeerseAnyone and beergoot like this.
  30. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (354) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

I literally took about a decade hiatus. From 2007-2009 I drank a ton of big, piney brews. After that I ignored IPAs until this year. I dont drink a lot of them, but I enjoy mixing one or two into a session nowadays. Still, my early craft beer binge seems to have shown me I much prefer less hop forward styles or more balanced beers.

ESHBG and Premo88 like this.
  31. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,677) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

This time of year, I cut back on IPAs, and drink more helles lagers, kolsch’s, radlers and hefeweizens, mostly on yard work/truck wash/hang out on the deck days

32. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (212) Mar 28, 2011 New York

I used to drink IPAs like 85% of the time up until about 4 years ago when all breweries started making them all over the place. I'm very happy to be past that point where now I appreciate and love a kolsch, brown ale, pale ale, Helles, etc. Same goes for anything barrel aged, it's just too much. The only problem is when you get to the post-hops state, you realize how much ipas have become ubiquitous and consumers seemingly have less choice.

TongoRad likes this.
  33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,538) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

IPAs are my favorite style, but I'd say I drink more AALs and craft Pils. I've learned to conserve my taste buds, I refuse mediocre IPAs. I've lived thru extreme palate fatigue and have no desire to return. But.. A great IPA is a real treat. I'm maybe 5 weeks out from beach week, so I'm ultra conservative on the hops, and I'll hop out in July.

ESHBG and Premo88 like this.
  34. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,932) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

I probably don't drink nearly as much or as often as many others here, so I don't find palate fatigue a problem at all. I enjoy a variety of styles, but I'm always looking for good (and fresh) IPA's.

Until Maerzen season starts, that is.

Squire and TongoRad like this.
  35. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (325) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium Member

And 16oz instead of 12oz is the normal serving size now.

36. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,069) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Member

I always grab some German beers to alternate with ipa's.and sometimes a stout or porter. This time of year the Kolsch beers appear too. So I can avoid burnout.

Mvsmvs92 likes this.
  37. JBogan

JBogan Champion (842) Jul 15, 2007 California

For the most part I've never found IPAs to be very enjoyable, so I've never reached the point where I needed to step back from them. They probably make up less than 10% of the beers I drink.

38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,538) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

One thing I find curious about NEIPAS is that there is more or less a sameness to them. Now in and by itself that's not a bad thing because they are incredible pleasant to drink, but they tend to lack individual character for the most part. Not being a Brewer at all could it be that because they are all good beers and all very similar could this be the result of the low IBUs and the heavy leaning to the fruity side of life that this hides inherent flaws? Interinting to see what home brewers think. For the most part IPAs are all over some are good some are bad some are great, but I haven't had a bad NEIPA, some are a little better than others but for then most part they're all close to being equal.

JS70070 and dennis3951 like this.
  39. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (3,008) May 12, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

40. Curry

Curry Initiate (144) Apr 10, 2003 Montana

As far as IPAs are concerned, I stepped back for all time long ago.

thesherrybomber likes this.