Does anyone feel like stepping back from IPAs sometimes?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (350) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I agree that things have gone to extremes. I mean, Utopias is basically liquor and is 200+ dollars a bottle. I do enjoy some high abv beers, though stouts are the majority of them lately. My love for high abv imperial ipas has waned after the curiousity wore off. They're just too boozy and don't refresh me the way I feel IPAs should. I've been more excited about porters and sub 7% ipas lately.

I'm hoping the glut of high priced, high abv beers will start to become too much for others too. Maybe then variety will again flourish. Until then we'll have to hunt for porters, browns and reds...

Troutbeerbum, HBresler and Oldstate like this.
  2. generallee

generallee Meyvn (1,388) Apr 5, 2008 Virginia

There are too many interesting beers out there to get locked into one style.

3. Celibation

Celibation Initiate (116) Dec 16, 2017 Tennessee

IPAs seem to be some kind of right of passage for microbrewers, they are so common it's like a cliche. Years ago when micro was new I found them refreshingly unique and the ABV certainly didn't hurt the experience. Now I avoid them - just burned out. I seek balance and unique flavor. Not impressed anymore by extreme hops. Let's move on please.

LuskusDelph and HBresler like this.
  4. PhillyStyle

PhillyStyle Meyvn (1,223) Apr 8, 2008 Georgia

I've been off the IPA train for years now...I would say at least the last 6-8 years...and I get to PO'ed when going to the beer store, as that is mostly what they carry. It is easy to over hop a beer, but the real masters find that right balance.

LuskusDelph and HBresler like this.
  5. MattyKAllupinhere

MattyKAllupinhere Initiate (105) Jun 5, 2018 Alberta (Canada)

I'm a beer reviewer up in Canada, and about 80% of beers that are sent to me are IPA's, with the frequent ones lately being EIPA. It's been interesting to see the continued evolution of the style over the last 10-12 years. What we called an EIPA just 6-7 years ago was something completely different. Having said that, my palate gets absolutely destroyed when that's all I have to drink. Obviously starting with the less abrasive styles and building up to the hop bombs is preferred, but brewers are all starting to push the same thing at the same time, chasing the craze by season.

When I'm not tasting, it's funny, I've lately become completely happy with a basic blonde ale, it turns off my mind AND my palate. But then I order a meal and I realize, sh%t, I think I need an IPA to pair with this...

6. ChristopherProvost

ChristopherProvost Initiate (151) Dec 24, 2013 New Hampshire

I've been feeling the same way for about a year now. As much as I love IPAs, I feel like they are overwhelming the market and causing me to ignore other styles. I've been deliberately trying to gravitate away from them. I've been getting into more sour styles like goses, Berliner Weiss beers, krieks, etc. I think I will make these styles my go to beers for the summer with the occasional IPA thrown in for good measure. In fact, I suspect that we will see a similar trend take place with sours that we did with IPAs, if it's not already here.

7. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,479) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I am drinking more IPA's than ever before. It's not that I do not still appreciate the lager because that is my preference. BUT lately I think the hazy IPA has brought the IPA to the pint can and to the local store like never before. My favorite sub style is the DIPA and I have noticed breweries like victory and others trying to display different varieties of hops and much lower abv's in their IPAs. I appreciate that! In fact I think I will have a new regional IPA for new beer sunday!

8. Wilkc

Wilkc Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2015 Florida

I’m in the same phase (what goes around comes around anew). Basically what happened to me was I realized I had packed on the pounds without changing my chewable diet in any way. So I began researching calorie intake on some of the IPAs I was drinking. Come to find out, each glass is about 320 calories...or about 50 calories more than a package of Twix P-Butter candy bars.

So now my focus is on dropping the lbs. and picking a palatable light brew, like Corona Premier, at around 90 calories.

LuskusDelph and ESHBG like this.
  9. psychgawsple

psychgawsple Aspirant (236) Dec 5, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

It's funny to hear so many people say that all IPAs taste the same when the whole NEIPA craze seems deliberately oriented towards changing that. The obsession with bitterness/IBUs and the "machismo" preference for abrasive hopping rates was sorta turned on its head with NEIPAs... although even larger amounts of hops are being used, "softness" is prized over bitterness or bite and a fuller palate of flavors is opened up.

Even the best modern brewers are still learning how to coax certain flavors (ie: berry, white wine, herbal notes, etc) out of new hop varieties from Australia, South Africa, etc. and West Coast / American hops like Cascade, Centennial, etc are falling out of favor. What I see is beer becoming more like wine - people are learning more about the nuances of certain hops or yeasts and finding a variety of different expressions are possible with even minor adjustments to those variables. Now that IPAs aren't all tongue-scrapingly bitter like they used to be, it seems like people are more willing to wade into this territory and I think that's a beautiful thing.

It's of course important to mix it up with a wider variety of styles and I do so often, I would honestly drink Suarez pilsner every day if I could find their cans more often. I still think the popularity of American IPA is super encouraging tho and love how it's constantly evolving... there aren't many true "American" beer styles and it's honestly great that they're as easy to find here as lagers are in essentially the rest of the globe. And let's be honest, there is a HUGE variation in what is labeled "IPA" in the States, even with 6 or so on a taplist there is a very wide variety of flavors on display and very little consistency in the ingredients being used.

LuskusDelph and GuyFawkes like this.
  10. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Defender (645) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Beer Trader

The exact opposite for me I want to only embrace IPAs. I have spent so much money and time chasing limited releases of sours and stouts that I never enjoy as much as a tasty IPA that I want to just drink IPAs going forward. I know what I like and I love the IPA!

11. Oldstate

Oldstate Initiate (129) Jul 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

I was fearful that this was where “sour” beers were heading. Another arms race to see who could make the most sour beer when very few could even come close to making a beer in the same league as Rodenbach Grand Cru as far as quality.

I am glad people are at least not rejecting the style. Rodenbach GC has been one of my top 3 favorite beers since I first had a bottle in 1997. I had a very hard time convincing friends if it’s greatness until recently.

I also like that Pilsners are coming back. I brewed for John Harvard’s in the late ‘90s and back then it was kind of known that you judged a brewers skill by the lightest beers they made. Overhopped absurdly high gravity IPA is the easiest way to mask sloppy skills and dirty equipment

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,366) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I guess that's true in a certain sense, but I find that after about a half pint even the hoppiest beers show their true selves.

And I'll join you on that Rodenbach love!

LuskusDelph and Oldstate like this.
  13. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,903) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Very well stated.

LuskusDelph and Oldstate like this.
  14. JBogan

JBogan Champion (842) Jul 15, 2007 California

I agree with you, I would have no problem either if someone's choice was mass produced pilsner or lager, or even mass produced IPAs for that matter. It's all personal choice.

The styles I prefer drinking 9 times out of 10 over IPAs would be Belgian made or Belgian influenced beers such as Dubbels, Tripels, Dark Ales, Gueuzes, Strong Golden Ales, Saisons etc. I also prefer most Stouts, Goses, Berlinerweiss, and yes, even a well made Pils or Lager over most IPAs.

Cheers! - John

15. Lisa_B

Lisa_B Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2014 California
    Premium Member

... seeing that Bitburger picture just made my day :-) That was my mom's go to beer. Thanks for the accidental encouragement!

LuskusDelph, Premo88 and TongoRad like this.
  16. Vikingdrinker

Vikingdrinker Initiate (122) Nov 7, 2008 California

I've also grown tired of ultra hoppy IPA's and still kind of into the hazy craze. Lately I had a nice ESB and really enjoyed it.
    I don't like a lot of the beers I used to love, such as Racer 5 or even Pliny. Used to think that the beers changed but now realized it's me. Or is it?

17. GP9

GP9 Initiate (122) May 29, 2016 New York

What is the point of every hole in the wall brewery making an IPA with more and more hops? A nice balanced IPA is fine. What annoys me is when a taproom has 99% IPAs to choose from. Recently my wife and I found a nice English pub here in New York State. It was great to have a couple of ESBs to choose.

I do like most types of beer. Brown, stout, porter, ESB, and IPA. Sometimes my mood just wants something uncomplicated. An average American adjunct lager fits the bill nicely. After a long night at work, nothing is better. On this score, sometimes grandpa’s beer, something like Schaefer, or Schlitz are real good. Even local beer like Genny are fine. Often they have some character, like lots of hops (Schlitz), or a malty taste (Genny). They are often now contract brewed, for the few loyal customers. This was often not because of inferiority, but marketing $$$ vs. AB’s millions.

Point is, I’m not a beer snob. Just like wine, beer must be paired to the meal, or situation. This is why I laugh at the endless new IPA varieties. Have these breweries ever heard of market differentiation?

18. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,293) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

"Lots of hops" ---- in Schlitz? :wink: Even in their heyday when in some years they were the #1 brewer in the US, their advertising stresses how little ("just a kiss") hop flavor and bitterness their beer had.
    [​IMG]

#138 jesskidden, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  19. Quackershnoc

Quackershnoc Aspirant (241) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

The OP presents what I find to be an incredibly odd problem. I don't know that I've ever ordered the beer that I wanted, enjoyed it, but then felt bad that it wasn't a different beer or kind of beer or whatever.

Order and drink what you enjoy. If that is exclusively IPAs...why is that a problem?

GuyFawkes likes this.
  20. BigAggie89

BigAggie89 Disciple (391) May 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

Every time I go into the store to buy craft beer, most of the selections is some version of a Pale Ale. It has been said many times in this forum that there is just too many IPAs. There is like another 70 styles of beers and few do you see in a store to buy. Thank goodness for homebrewing. I like an IPA when I crave one but it is only one or two times a week. I prefer a good German Style or Belgian style beer.

LuskusDelph and thesherrybomber like this.
  21. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (658) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

Took a 3 week break from beer (in general) with like... 2 exceptions over in France, and when I cracked the Odell Drumroll this morning, I could actually taste the hops again. Refreshing to take a break... plus the wine in France was much, much better than any beer I could find where we were so, no pain.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  22. Oldstate

Oldstate Initiate (129) Jul 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

This guy felt we had hit IPA saturation back in 2012. I personally think it was earlier.

https://jaysbrewingblog.com/2012/10/25/so-many-ipas-too-many-ipas/

I started doing the preverbal “face palm” when I started hearing people going up to a bartender and asking “do you have any IPAs on tap” (never mind the beer list on the wall, etc) vs “what are some good beers you have on tap” or something like that.

With the former question one you usually detected in there voice that they were new to craft beer and unfortunately only knew of IPA. So sad.

For those of us old enough to drink in the 1990’s I think you will remember the diversity of the craft beer scene. We didn’t have as many craft beers but the ones that were around (and there were a lot) produced a beautiful and diverse variety.

For example Boston Beer company (one of the earliest) had their Lager, Boston Ale, Porter, Stout, Scottish Ale, Cherry Wheat, and probably a few more I’m forgetting. Now they have half a dozen IPAs. Brooklyn brewing was the first to release an authentic IPA based from old British recipes...at least that I can remember. I recall thinking that this was almost going to be a seasonal thing as we only made an IPA at John Harvard’s once a year.

23. Squire

I'm old enough to have been drinking beer back in the 1960s and I remember self styled connoisseurs who would only drink imports and rave about them even if the beer was old and skunky. I've long maintained IPAs wouldn't be so popular if the name wasn't easy to pronounce.

LuskusDelph, TongoRad and Oldstate like this.
  24. jesskidden

According to Oliver's The Brewmaster's Table, Brooklyn's East India Pale Ale was first released in 1995 as their summer seasonal. Quite a few "craft" IPA's were around by then (and Pabst/Falstaff's Ballantine India Pale Ale was still being brewed though the recipe was dumbed down and aging time had been reduced), including what is recognized as the first US-craft brewed beer labeled "India Pale Ale" from Bert Grant, circa 1983. Retrospectively, many now of course include Anchor Liberty Ale and SN Celebration Ale as early examples of US craft era IPAs.

As for the "authentic...based on old British recipes..." well, I let others argue that :rolling_eyes:

LuskusDelph and TongoRad like this.
  25. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Devotee (406) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

I feel like I drink styles according to season - IPAs are usually a summer beer for me so 8-9 months of the year I step back to other styles like stouts, porters, etc.

26. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (525) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not sure who the quote is attributed to but "For Every Gorgeous Woman, There's A Man Tired Of Having Sex With Her" applies here too. Difference is - you're not married to a brewery or beer style.

Lahey likes this.
  27. Squire

I know that I drink styles according to mood.

GuyFawkes and Ryan4120 like this.
  28. Ryan4120

Ryan4120 Devotee (406) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia

That's always a good way to avoid beers/beer styles you're not feeling

Squire likes this.
  29. AndrewKiser

AndrewKiser Initiate (118) Jun 8, 2016 Massachusetts

After having and brewing AltBier I can’t really stand any IPA. I prefer any of the brown ales or some dark lagers but the aftertaste of most ipa is nasty to me

30. Dzman

Dzman Initiate (150) Jul 6, 2016 Connecticut

This is a great thread. I've been wanting to clear my palate from IPA's lately so that I can concentrate on new beer styles. I'm having a bit of trouble as I cannot find enjoyment from other beers. I have not give any opinions about new beers outside of IPA's because my taste buds have been comprised. This has become a problem for me. I was able to enjoy any beer style and I still get a flight to check out new brews but I have been noticing that only the IPA's are the only one I talk about. I feel I need to rediscover beer again. My option is to drink basic American lager until I adapt then go back on the hunt but avoid IPA'S .

AndrewKiser and DogbiteWilliams like this.
  31. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,366) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

They can (and will :wink:) argue the 'authenticity', but word on the street was that Oliver did conduct a certain amount of research on historic English IPAs, and used it to develop the recipe. (I knew one of the Brooklyn reps at the time, and a few members of our homebrew club knew Oliver). It was pretty much all English pale malt and Kent Goldings all the way, 1.070 o.g., not too far off from the Durden Park Beer Circle recipe.
    And there was also no dearth of other hoppy beers modeled on those two, that just didn't happen to market themselves as IPAs either.

#151 TongoRad, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    LuskusDelph, Squire and drtth like this.
  32. Mikeeo23

Mikeeo23 Disciple (376) Jun 12, 2018 California

Since last Oct of '17, I officially discovered hazy IPA. I know all about the fad, but damn it seems like that's all I crave! After trying Monkish, imo the best on west coast at least in LA, and several on the East, I'm ready for a break. Great thread and I feel like it applies to me also.

So Bottle Logic stouts it is for a while! (until I run out)

33. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,527) Dec 11, 2006 California

The only IPA’s I want to detox from is hazy’s. Spawn of the devil they is.

LuskusDelph and thesherrybomber like this.
  34. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams Initiate (119) Mar 28, 2015 California

My co-worker Justin, the guy who introduced me to beer in general, has burned out on IPA's and switched to Pilsners as his current mainstay style. I now drink more IPA's than he does, which astounds both of us.

He met and married a woman and he is now moving to Germany, AKA beer central.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  35. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (130) Jun 13, 2017 California

That was pretty much my reaction the first time I had one. Granted, my experience would probably be different if I weren't in California, surrounded by west coast styles, but even at their best, my reaction has been, "They're OKAY"... not a fan of grapefruit, pine flavors, and more the earth.

DogbiteWilliams likes this.
  36. jesskidden

Yeah, but was it long aged in wood, picking up some Brettanomyces along the way? Highly attenuated? Dry-hopped (I imagine it is, but no mention of it) with whole hops rather than pellets?

I mean, "authenticity" * - especially since they were brewing it at F X Matt - typically can only go so far and, to my mind at least, implies something beyond just the ingredients. Currently, Brooklyn lists several "modern" hop varieties in the EIPA - "Summit...Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo" and even notes:
    - but I'm not sure if that was the case in '95 - likely tweaked along the way to keep up with changing IPA trends.

(I vaguely recall a comment in the beer press at the time that the first "batch" was under-hopped, suggesting the recipe was adjusted almost immediately for later brews).

But, I guess, one would also have to know how the recipes of those other US craft IPAs were designed to be able to claim Brooklyn's was the "...first to release an authentic IPA based from old British recipes." BTW, Oliver claims he based it on Wm. Tizzard's The Theory and Practice of Brewing Illustrated (1842), several editions of which are available on Google Books.

* Not that I really expect much "authenticity" from any commercial brewer for a regular release "based" on a two century old recipe.

LuskusDelph and TongoRad like this.
  37. Lahey

Not stepping away from IPAs, but stepping down in abv lately. I still have a nice dipa from time to time, but not as interested in the big hitters out there as I used to be.

Celtics76 and LuskusDelph like this.
  38. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (75) Dec 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Same here. Working on the last of a Vermont haul from a buddy. Mostly 8% / 9% stuff. First doubles I’ve had since Festivus. I swear VT does double IPAs better than anyone, and I really enjoy them because I only get a bunch 3-4 times per year. Most other DIPAs are too boozy for me. If I wanted straight alcohol I’d drink booze. For the most part I prefer 6.5-7% ABV IPAs.

Lahey likes this.
  39. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,339) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I get tired of IPAs on occasion, but I always come back to them, sooner rather than later more often than not. Every time I think I'm burned out on IPAs, I find myself drinking one a few days later. It's good to break it up and drink other styles, but IPAs remain my favorite style.

40. Lahey

Ye
    Yes, 6.5-7% is the perfect range to me also. New hollands taz ipa got a few 6 pack purchases out of me. Ballast points mango even keel is pretty tasty too, though that's only 3.8%. Doesn't taste like it to me though, plenty of flavor.

Troutbeerbum likes this.