Does price matter?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JLaw55, Feb 20, 2015.

?

Does price matter to you when purchasing beer? (Regardless of Brand)

1. Yes, I buy the cheapest option available.

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  2. Somewhat, I purchase my favorites within reason. If too pricey, I move to my next favorite.

280 vote(s)
    78.4%
  3. No, I purchase my favorite beers regardless of price point.

76 vote(s)
    21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnredsoxfan69

mnredsoxfan69 Disciple (346) Dec 27, 2013 Minnesota

Obviously it matters. If I can't afford it, I can't buy it.

2. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

Price, in terms of several factors including money, time, difficulty, etc... is always a factor no matter the item in question. There is always a certain limit to how much you are going to enjoy something, and how you value that enjoyment. It really doesn't matter if it is beer or a trip to the amusement park.

There is always a slope to this. Obviously if it is a cheap beer for $1 that you absolutely love, you will ALWAYS buy it over a $5 beer you just merely like. Same thing in the opposite direction, if a beer isn't that good, it is going to have to be really cheap for you to buy it.

Factor in time that it takes to obtain the beer, and the slope moves to a bit of a curve. If you have invested a lot of time into finding something, you may be willing to move the maximum price point up, because you have already invested a lot into it. If you have to invest very little time to obtain, the higher prices may make it so that you don't want to get something you have not invested in, but at the same time, you may decide to pay just a small amount extra, due to the convenience and the saving of your time.

JLaw55 and azorie like this.
  3. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,032) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

I actually found your options in the survey a bit hard to answer - mostly because of the word "Favorite"

For example, I love Zombie Dust and that would need to be a ridiculous price before I wouldn't buy it. Frankly, I would prefer it to be $25 or $30 a 6 pack because then I could get it whenever I wanted. Right now at $15 a 6'er it is hard to find and sells out immediately.
    Permanent Funeral is the same way - at $12 a bomber it flies off shelves - if it was $30 I would be able to get it whenever I wanted.

The flip side is that I am pretty sensitive to price when trying new breweries & new beers. I walk past a lot of the Pipeworks and other small Chicago breweries because the price is stupidly high for the risk I am taking with the beer. Recently a small brewer near me released their first barrel aged imperial coffee stout - $20 a bomber... I laughed and walked on by.

Gemini6 and rozzom like this.
  4. mmarino

mmarino Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2015 California

For beers that I pickup on a regular basis, weekly say, I dont like to go over the $10 a bomber price point. There are the times though that splurging is needed, usually based on a recommendation.

bmayes1991 likes this.
  5. Akerstache

Akerstache Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Germany

I kinda agree with this, apart from certain limited editions that are going for ridiculous prices. /cough Braukunstkeller's barrel aged stuff /cough (I mean come on, for that price I can get at least 3-5 good imported beers)
    But generally speaking, 'good beer' (or 'craft' or however you want to dub it) is still a lot cheaper than good liquor. I mean, Bourbon is comparatively cheap but once you go looking for good rum, single malt or even gin and you'll be off the deep end.

Obviously I'll try to be economic and get the good domestic stuff and other good European brews that don't go for Scandinavian prices. I will get certain imported stuff even if the markup is higher if I can't really find a solid equivalent/it's been recommended enough that I trust it will be really good. (like the LHMS for a case of the latter and NC's Old Rasputin for a case of the former)

yemenmocha likes this.
  6. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Devotee (475) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Absolutely. Driving by Whole Foods Plymouth Mtg yesterday, stopped in grabbed 4 pak Wake n Bake. Got to the counter, dude says $15.99 I said, no, I don't think so. Not when it's $12 elsewhere. Walked right out. BTW, what the hell's happened to WF, gone way downhill since Billy left (all Phila suburban BA's will know what I mean) ...

7. SackBlabbath

SackBlabbath Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Kentucky

Well the other day i was at The Beer Trappe, an they had Black Damnation (3 and 12) and i was extremely stoked "Holy shit im gonna get me some black damnation." Then i saw the price was $38 and i put that shit right back on the shelf. So yes, price does matter.

8. SackBlabbath

Evil Twin holds up pretty well for me, I can't tell you the last time I bought, or even had a desire to buy Mikkellers beer. But what i'm getting at here is you shouldn't lump them together just because they're owned by brothers, they are two completely different companies.

I can think of atleast 15 EXTREMELY good Evil twin beers off the top of my head. I can think of like 3 from Mikkeller.

9. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Agreed... and on the other end of the curve, it doesn't matter how cheap something gets if it's not good. If I can't enjoy drinking it, it doesn't matter how little it costs - I'm still not drinking it.

bluehende likes this.
  10. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Thats like asking if size matters...

11. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

As long as the price is reasonable I'll purchase.

12. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Depends on how much $ you have.

13. ArkansasTraveller

ArkansasTraveller Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Arkansas

Depends on how much money I've already blown on stupid crap that week.

mwa423 likes this.
  14. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

Price matters a great deal, but I don't really buy "regular" brews. It's always one-offs, bombers of seasonals, etc... I have a hard and fast limit of a dollar an ounce. I don't go over that any more. Just not worth it, no matter how good the beer is.

15. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Yes, somewhat. I tend to buy a fair amount of 12 packs and cases. A few 22's as well.

16. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (280) Nov 17, 2014 Texas

One dollar per ounce is where I have to start thinking about pulling the trigger.

17. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,533) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Quantity of beer you consume / disposable income = what type of beer and how much the price of beer matters

I know a person who drinks about 4-5 beers on average every day (yes they have a problem) and barely makes $30K annually with a family to support. This person LOVEs craft beers particularly pale ales and IPAs, but has to go probably 50% of their purchases with BMC product due to budget and alcoholism reasons.

If you can restrain from drinking most of the week and yet love sours, a vast majority of people could probably afford to buy a $40 bottle of Cantillon once ever week or 2 if they didn't buy any other beers.

18. FFreak

FFreak Defender (665) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont

This is good. Got a formula for that? Let's see... price per bottle / (num oz X ABV) = price per oz alcohol?

Heady Topper = 3.75 / (16 * .08) = ~ 3.07
    Mcallan 12 = 50 / (25.36 * .4) = 4.92

I like the Vickie Mendoza scale too. Just got to stay above the line

Gemini6 likes this.
  19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,533) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

If I go to Vermont for a bucket list beercation, I'd probably take $100-$200 to HF and get what I can. If I don't have at least $50-$75 to spend on beer, I'm not going to bother driving up to HF.

20. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Generally speaking, I'll go for the cheaper of two options if they're pretty much equal. But if they're reasonably different and the more expensive one is really appealing to me, what the hell? As long as the bills are still getting paid.

That said, I used to almost never pay more than $11 for six-packs and $8 for bombers (unless it was for a special occasion), just because I often felt like that was around the upper limit of what beer "should" cost. Fortunately, a lot of beer still fell into this range, but I've gotten pretty into wine over the last couple of months, where dropping $20+ on a bottle is not too uncommon. So although none have come along to tempt me yet, I can see myself being more open to trying some of those real luxury beers at least once.

21. Blanco

Blanco Zealot (597) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Price matters to me based on competition. For example I almost always pass on Maine Beer because there are plenty of IPAs/Pales that are similar in quality but 1/2 or 1/3 the price. But I'll pay a lot more for just an average sour because the pricing for sours is just higher than other beers. If I'm in the mood for something sour I have to pay more.

22. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Price and Size, always matters we say the don't but they do!

23. Highbury09

Highbury09 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 North Carolina

They were 43 here in NC this week, so you must have passed up a good deal =0)

24. ConradSomm

ConradSomm Initiate (59) Oct 15, 2014 Illinois

Right now, no, because there is too much BA stuff still coming out and Pipeworks' recent releases have been great. I don't mind paying "too much" for the good stuff, but it kills me to overpay for a new bomber or 6/4-pack that turns out to be average or stale.

25. SackBlabbath

Haha oh well, i'll wait for someone to come along and "share" one with me. Thats just way too much, i don't know how they can justify that. I'm sure it's good, but it can't be that much better than cuvee delphine, which is fantastic and only 8 bucks for a 12 oz, which is still a bit steep but totally worth it.

26. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

That's it -- I'm moving to AZ. Seriously, I see big price differentiation around my area. Just saw Consecrator Doppelbock at $13 a six-pack, Big Easy Maibock at $9.50, and Optimator at $10. It all adds up.

27. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2013 Kentucky

I do consider them different. The reason they are grouped together in my post is because they are widely available and they seem to have the same price format. I do like Evil Twin better but they are still not worth the price.

28. Irishize75

Irishize75 Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2012 California

I'm a 'less is more' guy when it comes to consumption. I only drink on Friday and maybe Saturday, so I tend to go big since I don't buy much volume. The only beer I can ever recall passing on due to price was Bourbonic Plague. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $45 beer...$30 is probably about my max and even that is pushing it.

29. JLaw55

JLaw55 Poo-Bah (1,526) Jul 10, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Man, Blue Moon was one of the first beers that I found I liked and got me into beer. I don't mind it either, tastes great to me!

30. JLaw55

Society

I agree, and likewise, am lucky to say that it doesn't affect me much for right now. That being said though, I still won't pay an insane price for beer. I will find a more affordable alternative. It doesn't take too many expensive $20 dollar bombers that turn out to be crap before you decide to stop taking a chance on them. Haha!

mikediesel124 likes this.
  31. Highbury09

Highbury09 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 North Carolina

Well I was at their tasting room in Brugge last week and everything was fantastic! But it was also three euros per tasting glass, so no way was I paying 43!

32. JLaw55

Society

This is pretty much my mentality in a nutshell. I agree with this completely!

33. JLaw55

Society

I completely agree, I think that this is another large factor in their buying preferences, but for the purpose of this post I was only speaking about the price point side of it. Especially considering I hear so many people I know of say, "Well it's cheap."

34. SackBlabbath

I would pay that much for BD or BD2, seeing as they're a combination of Black Albert and the ALL MIGHTY Hel & Verdoemenis, which is probably my favorite non BA stout. Maybe i'll take my H&V and mix it with my Cuvee Delphine... hmmmm :grinning:

Highbury09 likes this.
  35. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

yes, that's why I made sure to have 'most' in there. I think some other replies neglected to notice that. Indeed most fall in a relatively tight price range.

#75 yemenmocha, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    rozzom likes this.
  36. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,902) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Society

I did say 'most'. That's politely tolerant of some exceptions.

Even so, is your set of examples supposed to be a counterexample? I don't see those prices as being much of a price difference. I think you need substantial price differences per sixpack to start calling a significant price difference, and it should carry over in mindset to the bottle pricing. In your own example, you're looking at $1.58 to $2.16 per bottle. I'm skeptical that this is a deal breaking price difference. And if it is, then this is the sort of person who almost never drinks a pint at a pub where a doppelbock could easily be $7 per pint plus tip. Out of budget entirely.

That's the other important criterion out there, that it needs to get to the point where going out is insanely expensive and large percentages of people frequently restrict themselves to a lower, cheaper tier of beer options - similar to wine bars. We're nowhere near that in the beer world. For price to be a real factor, it should resemble real examples like we see in other areas like wine where you can easily find a $15 glass or choose an $8 glass. It exists with spirits too.

#76 yemenmocha, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  37. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

If I didn't spend money on beer my fridge would be stuffed with guitars and records. My sweetheart wouldn't like that.

38. 5thOhio

5thOhio Initiate (0) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Amen, brother! Preach it!

mikediesel124 and Gemini6 like this.
  39. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

im in college so i just dont overdo it. i can get a sixer of a beer i really like for the same price as my friends pay for a 30 of natty and my beer lasts just as long, so i consider it justified. if theres a good release or soething i really love someimes ill splurge and go for it. as much as id love to get bruery sours and other stuff over 20 all the time its just not a sensible decision for me

surfcaster and Chris33 like this.
  40. prock180

prock180 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Arizona

Do cars need gas?

Chris33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.