Does the Brut IPA Have a Future?

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (65) May 15, 2018 Virginia

I've had 2-3 and I wouldn't purchase another, the SN version was one of the worst SN beers I've ever had.

eldoctorador likes this.
  2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,017) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Ahhh yes, the "Dry" beers which if I remember correctly were a follow on to the "Ice" beers... I think Budweiser had an ad with a slogan like "Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry!" that seems to stand out in my mind from that time - college years.

sharpski and Buckeye55 like this.
  3. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (816) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Everyone is making a Brut IPA right now. It's like the new Hazy IPA, except nobody asked for Brut IPAs.

Buckeye55 and eldoctorador like this.
  4. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (3,071) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

5. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (136) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

How does a beer that has a gravity of 0 and low bitterness qualify as an IPA? Not detracting, but the style seems like a misnomer. Brut Blonde Ale maybe, or Brut Pale Ale?

Buckeye55 and beerN3RD like this.
  6. beerN3RD

beerN3RD Aspirant (238) Oct 5, 2006 Colorado

Brut > NEIPA

I personally love Bruts more than NEIPA. Not that I hate NEIPA, but I am getting fatigued with all the residual sugar that is left behind in a NEIPA. I hope that they stick around.

thuey likes this.
  7. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (1,508) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

I hate to sound like an idiot, but what is the reasoning behind brut IPA anyway? Not that i'm pro or con, i've seen the SN in stores but have yet to purchase that or any other brands. Just did not know what drove the creation of this style

nc41 likes this.
  8. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,376) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I don't know what the creators motivations were and haven't tried anything from the alleged originators of the style but what appeals to me about them is the idea of a big hoppy IPA flavor with a very light malt background and crisp finish without the thinness that so often plagues session IPAs. My experience of the better ones that I've had is that they deliver big time of hop flavors (especially the grassy or herbal, floral, earthy, and citrus flavors) with a feel similar to a nice light pale.
    The two best that I've had are Brut Force from Fall River brewing and Extra Brut IPA from Anderson Valley brewing. I also really liked 2 from Mile Wide but that was a one time anniversary brew I believe.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  9. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,210) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I've got one single SN Brut IPA hanging around in the fridge that I cant force myself to open... oh, I will eventually but...I wont be happy about it

Buckeye55 likes this.
  10. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (311) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

I've heard Omegang makes a solid Brut IPA but I've yet to have it.

11. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,417) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lost on me too, I’ve only had SN version and wasn’t all that impressed. To be honest I don’t see why it exists, I expect at the very least SN is very representative to a style. So even if there’s a Brut out there that’s a little better I’d still rather have an Ipa, or a PA, or a Pils. The dry aspect reminds me of a Session IPA to a degree, which I don’t like. Session uses less malt, Bruts use an enzyme, the beers at the finish are similar, I don’t like that part of either. Beers that finish poorly are a one time buy for me. Just me though, something for everyone, enjoy if you like them.

Buckeye55 and Tilley4 like this.
  12. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,210) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

That's why I will kick and scream opening that last one... I just didn't (and still dont) get it... it will be one of those "just one more" beers for me

nc41 likes this.
  13. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,566) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Just tinkering, I suppose?

The SN brut was solid, but the ones I’ve had that are great are....really great. Like, want to drink 6 of them great.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  14. SixpointMikey

SixpointMikey Initiate (35) Jul 8, 2014 New York

We got excited about the style bc it offers a textural counterpoint to our NEIPAs. We brew it hazy with tons of dry-hopping - the idea is to create huge hop aroma while also being very crisp and refreshing. As such we completely changed the malt bill to emphasize crispness over the smooth creaminess of the NE style. After some small drops over the last few months we're releasing Sparkler through our whole network next month.

JackHorzempa and Buckeye55 like this.
  15. plaid75

plaid75 Poo-Bah (4,345) Jan 13, 2005 New York
    Society Trader

I see it going the way of the Black IPA and White IPA craze of a few years ago.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,417) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I’d love to see Jacks Abby beers here, every one that I tried was very good. Don’t trade anymore for the most part, but I specifically treaded for them a few years ago.

Buckeye55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.