Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

News Dogfish Head and BeerAdvocate Launch Project Extreme Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by RebeccaK, Oct 12, 2017.

1. RebeccaK

RebeccaK Associate Editor (570) Jun 28, 2012 Maryland
    Staff Subscriber

A six-part video series documenting the evolution and journey of cutting-edge and extreme brewing is available to stream now.

In the first episode, BeerAdvocate founders Jason & Todd Alström join Dogfish Head’s Sam Calagione to share their thoughts on the evolution of extreme brewing and discuss their collaboration beer Puddin’ Wine, a 10.5% ABV English Barleywine with fruits and spices inspired by a traditional holiday pudding. Other episodes feature Short's Brewing, Carton Brewing, The Post Brewing Co., The Lost Abbey/Port Brewing Co., and Charlie Papazian of the Brewers Association.

The Series:

Watch more: https://www.beeradvocate.com/peb/series/

The Book:

[​IMG]

In addition to this six-part video journey, Project Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Extreme Brewing at Home is available to pre-order now and will be officially released on November 14 at independent book stores or your favorite retailer!

Pre-order now: https://www.beeradvocate.com/peb/book/

Inside, you’ll find over 50 homebrew recipes (including Puddin’ Wine) and creative brewing philosophies from dozens of America’s most beloved, respected and coveted indie craft breweries.

Learn more: https://www.beeradvocate.com/peb/

Jacobob10, cjgiant, meefmoff and 2 others like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Great video, really enjoyed it and looking forward to more.
    Cheers!

meefmoff and RebeccaK like this.
  3. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (305) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've always been sort of wary of the large beer festivals but that video was pretty enticing. Maybe I'll have to give it a whirl next time around.

And I didn't know Sam Calgione was such a character. He seems a bit like Henry Rollins' less intense younger brother.

AZBeerDude72 and RebeccaK like this.
  4. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (437) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Have you been living under a rock? :wink:

Truthfully, he reminds me of the craft brewing version of Bobby Flay.

FBarber, AZBeerDude72 and tolar111 like this.
  5. teal

teal Initiate (73) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

The interesting thing about Sam - from my perspective is he really hasn't changed. At least, what he allows us to see of him has been remarkably consistent. When I first started homebrewing and reading etc almost 7 years ago to what we just saw in the video - you can't tell there's any time between them.

I'm not big on hero worship, I don't collect autographs or follow and post on celebrity facebooks/twitter/instagram in a hope they recognize me but Sam is one person I'd like to meet and talk about beer with.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  6. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (305) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Ha! I've seen pictures but I don't think I've ever heard him speak before. I always assumed he was sort of a serious elder statesman type for some reason.

7. thespaceman

thespaceman Devotee (494) Oct 5, 2008 Connecticut

Had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Sam down in Lewes at the Dogfish Inn and the brew pub many of times, he is probably the most intelligent and charismatic person I've spoken too in the craft brewing industry. And he is the type of person who will always remember your name. We need more people like him!

meefmoff likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.