Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release Dogfish Head IPAs for the Holidays Variety Pack

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

The IPAs for the Holidays 12pk contains four varieties of IPAs including:

• Sixty One – 12-pack EXCLUSIVE!
      • A marriage of two Dogfish Head innovations: beer-wine hybrids and continually hopped IPAs. Dogfish took its best-selling 60 Minute and added Syrah grape must to create an IPA with equal parts fruity complexity and pungent hoppiness.
    • 60 Minute IPA
      • A continually hopped super-fantastic East Coast IPA brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops for a powerful, but balanced, citrusy hop character.
    • 90 Minute IPA
      • A continually hopped Imperial IPA whose powerful malt backbone stands up to the extreme hopping rate for a pungent, not crushing flavor.
    • Indian Brown Dark IPA
      • A boisterous brown ale meets well-hopped IPA is brewed with aromatic dark malt, organic brown sugar and dry-hopped liberally for your holiday-drinking pleasure.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/dogfish-head-releases-ipas-holidays-variety-pack

2. CanConPhilly

CanConPhilly Crusader (725) May 17, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Seems strange that they are marketing this as a "holiday" pack. Not much in there that relates to holidays.

Nice to see 61 make a return though.

Daveshek28, VABA and Urk1127 like this.
  3. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Oh shit! Sixty One is awesome. I really miss that beer. One of the only beers paired well with marinara. @utopiajane

CanConPhilly likes this.
  4. chitownfanatic21

chitownfanatic21 Aspirant (216) Sep 25, 2016 Kansas
    Beer Trader

Honestly, it kinda sucks that they are only putting the 61 in the holiday pack. Especially since the other beers are year round beers. Wish they would’ve put them in 4 packs again, cause that beer was amazing!

CanConPhilly and StoutElk_92 like this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (989) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I will get it because I love all the beers. On a personal note I would have loved to see a new holiday pack with new stuff. I have been watching the packs come out and yet to see anyone blowing people away. The feed I see is ok, average, some are good, etc. Would be cool to see a pack come out and people surprised with the creative new items, but that is just my thought, anyway.

VABA likes this.
  6. shelby415

shelby415 Defender (600) Oct 10, 2011 Oregon

If they'd left out Indian Brown and put 75 min IPA in there I might actually buy this. Has that ever been in 12 oz bottles?

Casterbridge likes this.
  7. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

need to revisit 61, I was not a fan first time. I like the others though.

Enjoy

8. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I've never seen it in anything other than 750 ml bottles.

In other Dogfish news, I think Liquid Truth Serum is actually quite tasty.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  9. AZBeerDude72

Can you get Truth Serum outside their local area (other states), I thought I read it was local only?

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  10. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (63) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

It's available in VA

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  11. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (106) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio

And Ohio

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  12. RockinRich

RockinRich Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 Florida

Any idea what the approximate retail cost will be?

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

Cool appears AZ may see some, usually we get all their beers, thanks for info everyone, cannot wait to give this one a try.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  14. AZBeerDude72

I was looking online and saw 6 packs of bottles for $14.99, but not sure what each state will be, AZ has not posted any yet so not even sure on my costs.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  15. thespaceman

thespaceman Devotee (494) Oct 5, 2008 Connecticut

I purchased a 6 pack of Liquid Truth Serum yesterday in Connecticut for $11.99 - a good price tag for a 7% ABV beer. And I as well was quite impressed with it, bitterness is so light, making these easy to crush. Happy Bryan Selders is back behind the helm at DFH brewing the experimental beers again.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  16. AZBeerDude72

That is a great price, lol I keep looking around AZ and no luck, so odd since we get everything else all the time, maybe later this week.
    I noticed in the extreme brewing skits they busted this stuff out each one, so from then I wanted it, glad to hear its tasty.
    Cheers

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  17. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (133) May 2, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

The IPA 12 pack at my total wine was $23.99, kinda disappointed it’s that much and released so long before Christmas. Contrary to previous poster we haven’t seen truth serum in my part of VA yet

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  18. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (252) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

When did Indian brown become an IPA?

jasonmason and BeerseAnyone like this.
  19. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Disciple (379) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

Since anything labelled "IPA" practically sells itself these days...

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  20. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (1,982) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

If you can get it fresh it most definitely has the hop presence. At the brewery I would definitely say IPA.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  21. ShanePB

Beer Trader

The new labels do now have it listed as a "Dark IPA". It has always been well hopped and, to me, was always confusing as to what style category it should be in. I guess with the re-branding they decided to have it take on the Dark IPA/Black IPA name.

BeerseAnyone likes this.
  22. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (106) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio

Not a fan of 60 or 90, Indian Brown was ok and I'd probably buy it to try the 61 depending on when/if it arrives here.

23. CheapHysterics

For sure, it's hoppy as hell. It was always a hoppy brown ale, and that's how it was marketed. I just recently noticed they switched to calling it a dark IPA and I'm wondering how long ago they made the switch.

I buy that beer regularly because it's my favourite DFH, but I don't read the label anymore because I've been drinking it for at least 15 years. I was wondering if they changed the labels recently or if they switched a couple years ago and I just didn't notice.

24. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

That's my biggest beef with them now and their beers were always a good value here but no more, the cost of 60 Minute shot up a few months ago and I can't quite figure out why.

25. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (632) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I just looked at the inventory at my local and its a 20 pack for $42.99 plus tax......way too much in my mind
    60 and brown are now almost $39 a case.......they were under $35 pretty recently and $7.99 a six (with $1 off coupon at TW)

Since I did not enjoy 61 I wont look for this one.

EDIT......$21.99 at TW for a 12 pack......They also sell 60 for $7.99, Brown for $8.99, 90 For $8.99......dont see the value at all.....

Enjoy

#25 Giantspace, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    ESHBG likes this.
  26. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,280) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

27. CheapHysterics

28. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (725) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It would be a nice gift.

CanConPhilly likes this.
  29. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Savant (998) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

Great way to push the core lineup, throw them all in a case, call it the holiday pack and slang it.

gardenstatepkwy and VABA like this.
  30. ShanePB

Beer Trader

I had 61 Minute on tap yesterday, and wow, it does not taste anything like I remember it. Mind you, this is not in a good way. Who knows if it was the tap lines, or what. I will have to purchase this pack and try it from the bottle. I had always really enjoyed 61 Minute. My memory after not having it for some years is certainly not on-point, but I just remember enjoying the flavor a lot more than I just did.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.