Release Dogfish Head Unveils Mixed Media

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Bitterbill, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,789) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

2. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,412) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

FBarber, Ryan4120 and Bitterbill like this.
  3. Bitterbill

drtth likes this.
  4. drtth

Well if it works and keeps the bottom line in the black, why not?

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. Bitterbill

Yes and grab them winos if you can. Lol.

6. drtth

Naw, too expensive for the winos. No way the DFH price or ABV will match Thunderbird or Cisco Strawberry. :sunglasses:

7. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,596) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

I'll bite, have had good success with others in this format. Texas brewery did a black saison that spent time in cab barrels, they made no mention of grapes being used but damn that beer drank like a port. Failure of a saison but great beer.

surfcaster, PatrickCT and Bitterbill like this.
  8. Bitterbill

Maybe DFH is seeking beer drinkers who dabble in wine and vice versa. I should NOT have used the word winos, obviously. :wink:

drtth likes this.
  9. ivegot3Dvision

ivegot3Dvision Devotee (499) Feb 9, 2015 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Bruery has been doing beer-wine hybrids for awhile and they're actually good.

THANAT0PSIS and Bitterbill like this.
  10. drh88

drh88 Aspirant (242) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

11. drh88

drh88 Aspirant (242) Dec 21, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

And Au Courant from like 15 years ago I think. They have been doing this kind of thing for a long time.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,880) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

With so many uncertainties in life, it's nice to have something you can hang your hat on. You can bet your last dollar that I'll be grabbing this one as soon as I see it on the shelf, and money is no object.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (792) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It is nicely inevitable that fermentables will merge, share concepts, evolve, and the resultant beverages will survive if the market allows. That brewers and winemakers are so interested in this union, I predict some quality mainstream product will emerge maybe not so far down the road. Achel Extra is a wonderful Trappist beer that is vinous, tastes like great malt, and ends up being a fine beer that is nearly perfect like a fine wine. It is beer, but more.This type of beer challenges the boundaries of beer. I am all for this type of exploring, and cheers continued to DFH!

surfcaster, Bitterbill and drtth like this.
  14. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,596) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

Last time I was in Louisiana I lucked out and found Maison Blanc by Abita, it was brewed with Sauvignon Blanc grapes, not sure the percentage, and found it quite enjoyable. I know a lot of people shudder at the thought of grape must/juice and wort being blended, but I like it and hope it continues.

Bitterbill likes this.
  15. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (519) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Noble Rot was delicious...especially the oak aged version

alucard6679, Bitterbill and DovGibor like this.
  16. BikeChef

BikeChef Aspirant (275) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Yeah, the oak-aged version really sold me on this beer-wine hybrid thing. I also had a “vintage” version of Noble Rot (forget how long it had been aged...from 2012 maybe?) on tap at the Dogfish brewery this past summer that totally blew me away.

Bitterbill and BenHoppy like this.
  17. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Aspirant (229) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

I really enjoyed this a lot.

BenHoppy likes this.
  18. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (323) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Midas touch was interesting. It also used saffron instead of hops if I am not mistaken. Is there really a market for such a beverage,Hello Bartles and Jaymes again.

19. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Disciple (372) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Midas Touch is year-round if I'm not mistaken, so evidently there's a market for it. (I like it aged a bit rather than fresh. I haven't had Mixed Media yet, but I wasn't fond of 61 nor Siracusa Nera, their other grape beers. On the other hand, I love Lagunitas Dark Swan.)

20. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (746) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I for one am looking forward to this. Sixty-One, Noble Rot, Midas Touch, and Siracusa Nera are all among the best beers Dogfish Head has made, and I expect this to be similarly good.

This isn't Bartles and Jaymes at all.

I don't get why people on a site about respecting beer show so much disrespect and disdain toward anything their narrow mindset doesn't deem "real beer."

Beer-wine hybrids aren't for everyone (I love them), but just because you don't like something doesn't make it a wine cooler/flavored malt beverage.

You can see the same hate coming from people who don't like New England hoppy beers, fruit smoothie Florida weisses, pastry stouts, and American adjunct lagers. I don't care that much for two of those categories, but I wouldn't be so arrogant and closed-minded to claim, "They're not real beer."

It's the "no-true-Scotsman" of beer.

21. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (323) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

I fully understand your conundrum, Obviously the 1516 beer purity act does not mean anything to most people today. Today there is even alcohol water! I kid you not. Bartles and Jaymes was a malt based beverage with some wine added. Arrogance aside ,a wine beer spritzer is not beer in my opinion. I tried DFH Midas touch and it was OK. If you enjoy it is all that really matters anyway. Cheers>>

22. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (821) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina

Absolutely love a Midas.

Will give it a shot.

Even if not your thing— DFH beers are well made. Always worth a shot.

23. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

I mean, look at how creatively stifled Germany was for a very, very long time because of the Reinheitsgebot (and I'm one of the biggest lovers of German brewing history and culture on the site).

I have seen the alcoholic tonic water you're talking about, and no one is arguing that it is beer. Similarly, no one thinks Bartles and Jaymes is beer. They're flavored malt beverages, which, on a very technical level, all beer with any sort of added flavor is, I guess.

I don't get why you feel the need to demean Mixed Media as a spritzer, when it is clearly not that. It's a beer/wine hybrid. This type of attitude just makes you look stuffy. very "get off my lawn." Do you view the Bruery Wineification as a spritzer? What about Cantillon St. Lamvinus? Are gruits beer? My point is that when you start drawing lines it gets pretty messy pretty quickly.

As to why I exclude Bartles and Jaymes et al from being called beers, I unfortunately don't have a good answer, since I believe they legally are beers. It appears that the TTB actually regulates "malt beverages" more strictly than "beers," per this ruling from 2008. What to make of this, I don't know. How to actually draw the line, I don't know, but I think there's no doubt that Mixed Media is a beer both in the legal sense and the colloquial sense.

meefmoff and drtth like this.
  24. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (261) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Late harvest viognier is an interesting choice, I like the sound of it. I'll try it if I see it, why the hell not?

25. drtth

It was first added to the DFH line up in 1999 and has been a year round flagship offering for most of the years since then.

That would suggest it sells quite well.

It used saffron in addition to hops so it could hit the minimum hopping required by law for it to be called a beer.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  26. drtth

The original RHG only applied to beers brewed in what is now Bavaria and was pretty much ignored throughout the rest of what is now Germany until the later 1800s.

The rest of the world has pretty much always ignored the RHG.

meefmoff, THANAT0PSIS and FBarber like this.
  27. THANAT0PSIS

Beer Trader

Especially Belgium and the US, which many consider two of the greatest beer nations in the world.

Squire and drtth like this.