Dogs

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GormBrewhouse, Jul 6, 2020.

1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (493) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

well it was bound to happen, was. Brewing,with pals, and I went down to the celler for some replacement pops fer the boys while the wort was running into a bucket. About the same time, another pal rides up on a new/ used motor cycle and everybody walks over to see the new ride. I come out with the beer, round the corner to the brew area and there's 2 dogs lapping up, from the bucket, my new Irish stout.

To say I was completely bullshit is a understatement. Dogs not allowed on brew days now!!!

2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (312) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I would have reboiled and pitched

3. GormBrewhouse

Of course you would, hahahahaha

Peach63 likes this.
  4. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (382) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Your dogs or feral dogs? I'm guessing the wort was already hopped.

5. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,950) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

:astonished: Sterile dog drool is still dog drool. OTOH, if you skip the re-boil, enzymes in the saliva might dry out the beer a little.

Peach63, Prep8611 and billandsuz like this.
  6. GormBrewhouse

My dog knows what comin if she does that. Pals dogs which cannot come over on brew day.

Don't want the Irish to b dryer, gahahahahaha

Peach63 and MrOH like this.
  7. GormBrewhouse

Boiled, hopped and the yeast was in, just figured pals would watch then put on the lid after the kettle drained while I was getting refreshments, bastards!!!!

8. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,252) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I've seen enough pictures/videos of folks brewing along with their dogs to know that wasn't a dog that was used to the process. A good brewdog offers moral support and companionship during the boil. A poor dog just gets in the way.

Kudos to @GormBrewhouse for training your dog well.

9. GormBrewhouse

Thanks @MrOH , I do what I can.

Peach63, riptorn and MrOH like this.
  10. butterygold

butterygold Initiate (22) May 12, 2020 Spain

You could have called it Dog Slobber Stout or something.

I bottled yesterday and banned the dog and cat from the general area.

GormBrewhouse, Peach63 and riptorn like this.
  11. MrOH

Living in the suburbs of DC, hard to find a well-heeled dog among the rabble. If only folks would respect leash laws in the parks...
    I'm gonna quit before I go off on a tangent about how leash laws are meant to protect your dog when in an urban/suburban environment....

Peach63 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  12. Prep8611

Dogs mouths are cleaner then humans IRCC :wink:

Peach63, MrOH and GormBrewhouse like this.
  13. VikeMan

Society

That may be an old wives tale. But even if not...
    [​IMG]
    Which one would you prefer to swap spit with?

wspscott, Davl22, Peach63 and 7 others like this.
  14. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (547) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Maybe the drool will improve head retention.

Peach63 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  15. Prep8611

That pitty is looking awfully cute, plus my wife wouldn’t get jealous if I swap spit with the babe on the left.

16. GormBrewhouse

Hahahahaa you guys are too much.
    @MrOH I can help with your almost rant. When I was in the produce biz operating a farmers market booth, folks had to walk their dogs amongst the crowds, tables of produce and, of course, nosing everything. Not the best for sales when Fido slobbers on some greens. Worst case was when 2 dogs decided to fight and knocked over a display of cut flowers sending broken mason jars that were full of flowers and water into the walk ways. Not good at all. Now I'm strictly wholesale, no dogs, no problems, except one spot where I have to remember a dog bone. Gave the dog a treat once and he dogs me till I give him another every time. That , I can deal with.

Peach63, MrOH, riptorn and 1 other person like this.
  17. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,911) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

My dog hates brew days because I struggle to work in the long walk. "Gotta get back to the kettle for the 15 minute hop addition."

18. MrOH

Sounds like you should make some spent grain dog treats! My buddies dogs love them when I see them (not so much nowadays).

Peach63 and riptorn like this.
  19. Peach63

Peach63 Zealot (548) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

While, I've never had that happen to me on brew day, I once knocked over a bottle of beer and said "Oh, shee-it", ran to grab some paper towels, came back and said "Hey where'd that puddle of beer go?" and there is one of my Labrador's wagging his tail with a goofy look on his face. I'm thinking, great, I've got an alcoholic dog! :grin: Now, the begger won't leave me alone when I drink beer!

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,659) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Did your dog burp afterwards?:wink:

Cheers!

21. Peach63

Peach63 Zealot (548) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Actually, I think it came out the other end! :nauseated_face::laughing:

22. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,788) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Ya gotta smile at anything a Lab does.

My Lab was notorious for that. He was always nervous about being indoors the few times that we let him in, so he was essentially an outdoor dog. Thank goodness! (His name was Bubba if that tells you anything. He was born in Georgia.)

Peach63, JackHorzempa and riptorn like this.
  23. skivtjerry

We have goats. A couple of years ago I was painting some window trim and turned around to see 2 loose goats happily drinking paint out of the can. I quickly pulled up the MSDS to see if it was going to kill them and saw it contained ethylene glycol (standard automobile antifreeze). Bad. I searched for emergency treatment and saw... ethanol. Apparently the liver will preferentially metabolize the ethanol and let the ethylene glycol pass unmetabolized (it is the aldehyde produced by metabolizing the stuff that is actually harmful). So I gave them a big bowl of the hefe I had on tap and a few charcoal tablets. They were fine, though I have no idea if they ingested enough paint to harm themselves in the first place. Now, of course they have a taste for beer. Sitting by the barn and trying to drink a beer is quite an adventure.

24. VikeMan

Society

^ Post of the day!

ECCS, Buck89, GormBrewhouse and 6 others like this.
  25. skivtjerry

I have a lot of goat stories but that is the only one that is beer related.

MrOH, GormBrewhouse, Peach63 and 5 others like this.
  26. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,911) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Hefeweizen with charcoal is now stocked in my medicine cabinet. Just in case I ever decide to get goats. Or drink paint.

27. skivtjerry

One correction: ethylene glycol is actually metabolized to oxalic acid. I was thinking of methanol poisoning which is also treated with ethanol.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and Peach63 like this.
  28. MrOH

Years ago, a friend of mine had a pitty that loved beer. You had to hold onto the can or bottle when he was around or he would "accidentally" knock it over and lap it up. Once he knocked over my can of coke and gave me a look like "What the hell is this?"

wspscott, riptorn, VikeMan and 5 others like this.
  29. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (479) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

[​IMG]

30. MrOH

Wasn't there a town in Nevada or somewhere out west that elected a beer guzzling goat the mayor? I remember it somehow making the bottle dance in it's teeth as he drank it.

31. MrOH

By law, in the county I live in, I can own one goat on our acreage. The only thing keeping me from getting one is that it'd probably eat the garden and all the flowers in the backyard.

32. MrOH

Only video I could find was of the current goat mayor drinking soda, but the previous mayor who chugged beer is stuffed in a local bar with a bottle of Lone Star in his mouth.

Looks like there is a town in Vermont with a goat mayor as well.
    Other videos of beer drinking goats as well.

Peach63, riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  33. skivtjerry

It will definitely eat your garden and flowers. We got ours for brush control but they prefer cultivated plants. Our vegetable garden is raised beds surrounded by chain link fence. The only thing I've seen them refuse to eat was 3 day old spent grain when I finished the brew day in a thunderstorm and didn't clean the mash tun for a while.

Peach63, riptorn, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.
  34. MrOH

Thanks for confirming what we thought. Definitely not looking to lose all the cool perennial flowers suited to our backyard that we inherited from previous owners. Also, Queen Evelyn, the box turtle that lives in our backyard, would be royally pissed if all her cover was gone.

I just wanted one because I think they're cool, and fell in love with them while I worked in cheese and visited various goat dairies/creameries.

35. GormBrewhouse

i had a pair of goats once, somebody told me they would fight off feral dogs from chasing my sheep, but that turned out to be BS. yeah, fence,em good or they will raise hell with everything you dont want them to eat.

of course the good news is, the family liked eating them after they proved to be of no value, so not a total loss

Peach63, PortLargo, MrOH and 4 others like this.
  36. skivtjerry

Having goats is definitely a love/hate relationship. They are super friendly and personable and just as cute as puppies when they are young. Also super destructive if they go where they shouldn't be - as they usually do. Containment is difficult. A goat worthy electric fence requires about 10X the Joules that a horse fence needs. And it needs to be really tall or most breeds will jump it.

Peach63, riptorn, MrOH and 1 other person like this.
  37. GormBrewhouse

Agreed, and if your useing page wire fencing, like I did, goats will work it harder that sheep. Some goats can b dam smart!!!

38. MrOH

From what I understand, donkeys absolutely HATE coyotes, so they would probably keep feral dogs away as well.

39. GormBrewhouse

Yes, heard that as well. I found the best way, for me, was traps and rifles. Never get them all, but losses went way down after I started my campaign, and had a lot of help from older western trappers who had made their living removing coyotes,cats and bears from livestock areas.

Round here pretty much a lost art with no incentive for youngins to start up.

40. skivtjerry

Donkeys hate canines of all stripes and will stomp them to death if they get the chance. We always warn friends and relatives to be super careful if they visit with dogs. We have had a bear and a bobcat enter the barn but never a coyote. They tolerate our own dogs, barely and grudgingly.

Peach63 and MrOH like this.