Double Brown Ale

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Oct 2, 2011.

1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (17,678) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

The first modern Brown Ale, brewed by Manns of London, appeared just before 1900. Only after World War I did the style really take off. In the 1920s, most other London brewers introduced their own.

Read the full article: Double Brown Ale

#1 BeerAdvocate, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
    eppCOS likes this.
  2. Squidretired

Squidretired Aspirant (213) May 11, 2016 Florida
    Premium

Central 28 Beer Company (DeBary, Florida) just released a very tasty Double Brown Ale.

3. Squidretired

Squidretired Aspirant (213) May 11, 2016 Florida
    Premium

Central 28 Beer Company, in Debary Fl, is releasing their Tippy's Double Brown again.

4. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (864) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff

Nice. Feel free to add it to the site and leave a review.

5. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (4,716) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)
    Premium

Of course U.K. brewing pretty much started with Brown ale.
    Recently drank a recreation based on a genuine Georgian recipe, the brown malt producing a low level of sugars compared to modern grains making an ale that was slightly sour with vinegary notes & not what I that a bawdy British boozer would be serving in seventeen hundred and odd

6. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,074) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts

Considering the fact that there wasn't much refrigeration in the 1700's and that most beers were kept in oak casks, which in the uncontrolled conditions probably presented wild Brettanomyces yeast, my guess would be that a lot of beers back then were probably "spoiled" with wild/sour/vinegary flavors from the wild yeasts in the oak casks that the beers were stored and aged in.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  7. EmperorBevis

Premium

When you apply historian & brewing logic absolutely, and this was cask conditioned in a wooden barrel made with heritage ingredients. It’s just the romantic notions of the famed indulgence of George the Prince regent conjuring up a vision of something like blancmange & visions of Dickensian poverty & necessity I imagined something porridge like. But it was definitely liquid though quite full bodied.

fehrminator and StoutElk_92 like this.
  8. EmperorBevis

Premium

Problematic is that there is not a Imperial Brown or Double Brown style on here
    as adding & reviewing Torrside's Monsters King Bugbear
    Their US Bugbear US brown given the Monsters ramp up & amplify taking it to a meaty 9%
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/42842/397560/

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,352) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Bell's made a Double Brown but it looks to be retired and no, I never tried it but I wished I did. Me and Browns are good mates.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  10. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (118) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Short's has a double brown ale. I have a bottle, although I haven't tasted it yet.

EmperorBevis likes this.