Double Dose IPA or Hop Ranch

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Jan 17, 2015.

?

Which beer do you enjoy more?

1. Hop Ranch

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Double Dose IPA

27 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (420) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I get a big onion taste profile from both beers. However, Double Dose was definitely the better of the two. More fruit and hop. Hop Ranch, although very good, was too over the top with the garlic/onion. Hops were faded and it lacked balance. I'm wondering if they are brewed with the same hops.

Givemebeer likes this.
  2. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,148) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

Double Dose was a better beer to me, but them I am a Lawson's fan boy it seems.

3. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,049) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Hop Ranch by a hair. Both are excellent.

DrStiffington and klawburke like this.
  4. Johntomk

Johntomk Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Tennessee

I haven't had Double Dose, but I really like Hop Ranch. I'm drinking one right now. Idk if you guys would agree, but Hop Ranch tastes similar to Enjoy by 10-31-14. It's not quite as hoppy or thick of a mouthfeel as enjoy by.

mconn13 likes this.
  5. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,468) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Double Dose, not even close (for me; not saying anyone else is wrong). Hop Ranch to me comes across as an experimental, cool beer, but nothing amazing; Double Dose blew me away the first time I tried it, and even with the proliferation and ubiquity of newer, fruitier hops across the American (D)IPA scene, a fresh bottle of Double Dose still is something quite nice - if not quite as transcendental as it seemed the first time I had it.

I don't even prefer Hop Ranch to its meaner, dirtier sibling, the DirtWolf, but hey, that's just me. :slight_smile:

6. RichD

RichD Crusader (787) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Hop Ranch is a nice beer. However, Double Dose is easily better. I've had at least 8 bottles of both and it was pretty evident for me.

Not sure how these random comparison threads get started though.

mackeyse likes this.
  7. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Devotee (420) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I was not impressed with DW, either. Maybe I'm not a fan of Victory beers. I did not like Hop Devil, and Golden Monkey was an alcohol bomb.

I haven't had any pure Lawson beers, but I'm hopeful in taking a trip to VT this summer.

8. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poo-Bah (2,552) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona

Victory for the victory

9. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (527) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Not close. Double Dose. Some may call me a homer but I lived in NJ until last April :slight_smile:

10. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I really liked both, but I remember liking Double Dose a bit more. My wallet likes Hop Ranch a lot more. It was literally half the price of Double Dose.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  11. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

I was very unimpressed by double dose. It isn't even my favorite otter creek beer, and it isn't as good as the only other lawson's colab I've tried (sip of sunshine).

I love hop ranch.

Maybe I was expecting too much from dd because it says lawsons on the label (not to mention the wicked cool vw bus on the label).

I turned down the second sixer of dd I was offered because it wasn't even close to worth the price. I think it went for $20 a sixer around here.

12. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Devotee (426) May 1, 2014 Vermont

Hop Ranch was more of an Imperial Pilsner than a true DIPA for me.

13. jefffalcone

I would love to hear a deeper explanation of this comment.

14. MistahBeah

MistahBeah Initiate (0) May 12, 2013 Massachusetts

Hop Ranch for me. Didn't enjoy Double Dose nearly as much as I thought I would.

15. bkov33

bkov33 Initiate (142) Dec 5, 2007 New Jersey

is double dose easy to find? I've never seen it but I haven't really been looking for it. I tried hop ranch for the first time tonight, didn't think it was all that great

16. ceeg

ceeg Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 New York

If they would only make more Double Dose, I would be able to answer the question. Alas, I have yet to try it. Hop Ranch is really tasty!

17. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Devotee (426) May 1, 2014 Vermont

First off, I'm not claiming that it shouldn't be considered a DIPA, let's just make that clear. What I'm saying is that a DIPA that solely utilizes Pilsner malt as it's base isn't what I've come to expect from the style.

18. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Thought Double Dose was very good and Hop Ranch was weird tasting.

19. Dylan_TBB

Dylan_TBB Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2015 New Jersey

Double Dose for the win. It's crazy that everyone overlooked that beer here. Still some hanging on the shelf at my local. I on the other hand drank my fill of it.

20. BigStein88

BigStein88 Disciple (300) Nov 5, 2007 New Hampshire

I enjoyed last years versions of each beer better...but Double Dose from last year beat out Hop Ranch from last year for me...this year neither excelled in my opinion.

EnthusedAboutBeer likes this.
  21. jefffalcone

Fair enough. I didn't know that it used pilsner malt and I couldn't taste that. I've always thought the pilsner taste comes more from the brewing process than the particular malt. It's hard for me to taste pilsner in an ale. Funny, now that you point it out I can sort of see it, but never in a million years would I have noticed it without someone pointing it out.

Still to me it isn't very pilsner like.

gatheredwaters likes this.
  22. LJTate

LJTate Aspirant (211) Dec 31, 2014 Pennsylvania

Hop Ranch for me as I haven't had the DD as of yet. Victory is my favorite local PA craft brewer.

jefffalcone likes this.
  23. GSH1976

GSH1976 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2005 Delaware

I never had Double Dose so I can't participate in the poll but this year's version of Hop Ranch is superior to last year's.

24. Patches826

Patches826 Meyvn (1,125) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

I'd say different but equal. Gave them both a 4.25 score here. Both worthy of a yearly pickup.

25. jefffalcone

not to be a cliche, but I liked last year's better. They're pretty close though.

26. jefffalcone

To me double dose might of been in the same ballpark as hop ranch if it wasn't double the price. I liked it but it's hard to not be influenced by price. I'm honestly not sure how I would choose in a blind side by side. But I do know that I keep going back for more hop ranch, and I bought one sixer of dd and refused the next that my friend at the store had put aside. The price tag on double dose was just out of line.

It wasn't good enough that I wanted to do it twice.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  27. scottspencer

scottspencer Aspirant (290) Dec 10, 2014 Indiana

Not had DD but I really like Hop Ranch another good beer from Victory

28. Omnium

Omnium Meyvn (1,406) Jan 31, 2013 Pennsylvania

Must be nice to be able to get Double Dose. Someone send me some so I can actually participate in this thread

29. dvnb

dvnb Aspirant (221) Jul 4, 2013 California
    Trader

Double Dose all day.

30. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (328) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I've never had double dose but really enjoy hop ranch. One of the best uses of mosaic hops in my opinion. That said, I dont get any oniony garlic flavor in hop ranch.

31. jefffalcone

It was around for like a week at the beginning of summer and it was $20 for a sixer. It was about as good as other otter creek beer. you're not missing much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.