Drink any good Pastry Stouts lately?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Sumnerj, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Sumnerj

Sumnerj Aspirant (285) Nov 14, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Been out of the trade game for a bit. Lookin for a pastry stout or two to trade for. Anyone had anything good lately? Thanks y’all

dcotom likes this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Yes, I have. Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip Milk Stout, from Braxton Brewing, Covington, KY. Also Cocoa Mint Milk Stout, from SingleSpeed Brewing, Waterloo, IA. I'm all in on the English Sweet/Milk Stouts. :yum:

Shanex, GOBLIN and Sumnerj like this.
  3. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (128) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Arrow Lodge's Nunca Muerto was legit

dcotom and Sumnerj like this.
  4. Ahypercube

Ahypercube Disciple (317) Dec 18, 2015 California

Imperial Evil Pastry Stout Factory Strikes Back by Weldwerks Brewing Co was a delicious chocolate peanut butter stout. Best I’ve had to date. Just gifted a two-pack to a friend. You may have trouble finding it. I think it was only brewed once. Starriest Night (hazelnut version basically) by the same guys was also awesome.

5. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,879) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

BCBS Mon Cheri, 3 Sheeps BBA The Wolf, Prairie Screenshot, Fair State FSB: 2019 Pt 1, and Prairie Basic Becky. That's just this month, so far.

6. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (4,211) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

In Chicago: Benthic and Vanilla Benthic are excellent. I'm no Half Acre fanboy, but both are worthy beers.

Bobbi862 and dcotom like this.
  7. johnnybgood1999

johnnybgood1999 Disciple (345) Oct 31, 2008 Virginia

Everybody talks about Abraxis from Perennial Ales. Try their Number 17. It's brewed with mint leaves and cacao. I thought it was better than abraxis.

dcotom and Sumnerj like this.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,361) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Weldwerks has some pastry stouts that are tasty. I'm a fan of modern times though. Modem tones may be the best beer I have had in a looong time.

adschal1 likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’d amend that to : Ever, and no.

champ103 and islay like this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,251) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

What did you think of this beer?

Cheers!

11. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,174) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Pipeworks and Hubbard's Cave have been absolutely ruling this style recently. Almost nothing else I've had comes close. For Pipeworks, try Fluffo Sando or Baked & Layered. For HC, try French Toast or Salted Caramel (or any of the Pot de Cremes).

Sumnerj likes this.
  12. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (745) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

No such thing!

13. Insomniac

Insomniac Initiate (13) Nov 5, 2019

I’m not a big fan of the style but do know Omnipollo makes a bunch of them both individually and in collaboration with other breweries. You might want to start there.

14. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,752) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I've currently been digging anything with maple syrup--CBS, Saranac Varick St Breakfast Stout, Dragon's Milk Maple Oak, etc.--but generally I don't like the super sweet stouts very often. The best imperial stout I've had so far this year has been Black Chocolate from Brooklyn.

15. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,627) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

While they're both pioneers of the concept, I still feel like the Bruery and Cigar City both produce some of the best examples out there. Both have fairly large bottle clubs (aka. more bottles in the wild) and plenty of retail options, too.

As far as sought after/rare examples go, I'd say the stuff coming from Weldwerks is probably the best I've had. In particular the PB Medianoche is pretty great for what it is.

Sumnerj and highdesertdrinker like this.
  16. Bobbi862

Bobbi862 Initiate (37) Nov 10, 2019 Illinois

Picked up a Milk Stout from "Left Hand Brewing Co.". A little out of my usual tastes, but, I liked it. Coffee and Malty--not too sweet.

17. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (891) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

uhhhh... Southern Tier. They were making dessert-beer concoctions (e.g. Creme Brulee Stout, Choklat, Mokah, Pumking) before The Bruery or Cigar City existed, and now Southern Tier is totally overlooked. Funny how trends work.

EDIT: In fairness to you, I don't think Southern Tier distributed to Colorado then, so I understand if you missed them.

18. Domingo

Society

Nope, I was a aware of them. Pumking used to be a "hype" beer at one time. You can be a pioneer without being first...can't you?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  19. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (891) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I wouldn't call it pioneering, so much as popularizing, but maybe that's splitting hairs? There was more to Southern Tier than Pumking too.

Rogue, and specifically the Voodoo donut series, probably deserves some credit [or condemnation] for elevating the pastry beer too, but beer nerds shitting all over Rogue goes back even further. :rolling_eyes:

20. craigbelly

craigbelly Champion (859) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa

actually dictionary definition of the word pioneer: develop or be the first to use or apply (a new method, area of knowledge, or activity).

21. Domingo

Society

Also a definition from the dictionary: "a person who is among the first to research and develop a new area of knowledge or activity."

I'd also say that the stuff CC and the Bruery made their names from were quite a bit bolder than anything Southern Tier was doing. Thinking back, wouldn't Dixie be THE original pioneer in this area? White Chocolate Moose was around back in the 90's.

22. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (464) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

XUL, down to split, IGCCS, coco crown, island vacation

spersichilli, Sumnerj and adschal1 like this.
  23. bob_d_j

bob_d_j Initiate (157) Oct 24, 2012 Michigan

Does s'mour stout from shorts count...it is amazing

24. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (84) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

Had full size candy bar, double purple lemur, and chaos grid: the final course recently. All outstanding w/ full size candy bar being the sweetest of sweet

25. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,208) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Trader

Go after anything from Horus Aged Ales.. crazy good.

spersichilli, Sumnerj and LGHT like this.
  26. adschal1

adschal1 Initiate (22) Dec 7, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

XUL was ridiculous

spersichilli, LGHT and jamshard2mash like this.
  27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,361) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Pioneering, popularizing, and perfecting are all different things. I'm afraid I cant recommend southern tier based on my personal opinion of their beers. They may be a pioneer, but the diacetyl tire fire that is creme brulee is simply disgusting. Being the first doesn't indicate they are the best. Or even the average for that matter.
    Edit: IIRC momi hiwa was around before the pastry stout fad. An argument could be made for Avery as a pioneer and popularizing agent. Rumpkin was a sweet ass beer as well, but not a stout.

DISKORD likes this.
  28. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (464) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Yeah really good. Seeked out 4 bottles and still want more!!

adschal1 likes this.
  29. thom0623

thom0623 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2019

Any of D9’s pastry beers are good.

30. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (120) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Angry Chair and Hidden Springs are always solid, we love our sugar water here in Florida.

Had Suggestion of Mass: Mocha Latte from Modern Times recently and really liked it

$4$ from American Solera is ridiculous, super viscous bourbon brownie batter

Sumnerj likes this.
  31. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (12) Thursday

32. ItsYourBoyBlue

ItsYourBoyBlue Zealot (563) Feb 23, 2014 Washington
    Trader

I was very happy with Westbrook's Maple Bourbon BA CocoNaughty, had it after MT Ultra Coconut and it held it's own. Also if you're into peanut butter stouts at all Modern Times' Fellowship of Xul was probably the best peanut butter stout I've ever had.

Sumnerj and spersichilli like this.