Drinking Black Tuesday alone

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Fox82791, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. end_27

end_27 Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2012 Illinois

Did pretty much an entire bottle by myself on Christmas as part of my 12 Days of Beermas. The wife who was supposed to help me took like half a snifter and then poured the rest into my glass, and said she couldn't do it. I started at 1pm and didn't drink anything else the rest of the night until the bottle was done. Needless to say Xmas Day SUCKED big time with a pounding headache!

It can be done, just prepare yourself Grasshopper.

SammyJaxxxx and PA-Michigander like this.
  2. Graffy

Graffy Aspirant (266) Jan 10, 2014 California
    Trader

Had a buddy drink ~2 oz per day over 10 days. It was still drinking surprisingly good on day ten

luwak likes this.
  3. PaBrewSki

PaBrewSki Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

5 of us did BT and Rum BT side by side the other night. They're pretty close in abv and sweetness so i'd say that I did 2/5 of a BT bottle in about 25mins. They're both drinking incredibly smooth right now. Not anywhere near as hot as I remember other years being.

I also had 12oz Old Viscosity, 6oz Alpha King & 5oz pours of Tripel Tonnellerie, White Chocolate, Belching Beaver Peanut Butter, Soroboruo, Ignis Fatuus, Tart of Darkness, Tart w/ Cherries & Vanilla, Mash & Grind and Atomic Kangarue in the same tasting over the course of about 5 hours.

I think those more than make up for the abv that I would have found in the other 3/5 of the BT. I'd say that based on how it's drinking I could do it without much of an issue.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  4. Brew33

Brew33 Crusader (776) Oct 24, 2007 Ohio

I have done WC, BT, CR, solo on multiple ocassions.

Time and water are your friends.

5. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

A bottle of BT is a good way to warm up the pallet for heavy drinking later.

6. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

KRE?

PA-Michigander likes this.
  7. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Devotee (467) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - 375ml 15.5% ABV and damn tasty

8. HeyHotDogs

HeyHotDogs Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2014 California

Challenge accepted.

JAntony345 and Fox82791 like this.
  9. Mike_Amps

Mike_Amps Initiate (175) Jan 8, 2015 California
    Trader

It took me 2 days to finish a bottle of this. I don't think I can finish the bottle in 1 seating, the sweetness was starting to get too much...still have a couple more bottles left..saving it for a bottleshare or something.

10. pagriley

pagriley Meyvn (1,000) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

The front page of BA tells you all you need to know:

[​IMG]

Seriously, why the enduro test? Is it really that enjoyable toward the end?
    It certainly isn't for me, so I just save half with a bottle stopper and enjoy the next night!

11. JOrtt

JOrtt Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 North Carolina

Anytime I have it, I drink it myself. Besides feeling like a pack of wolves ate you and shit you over a cliff, its worth it. Just don't have any plans the rest of the day/night.

lateralusbeer likes this.
  12. mctizzz

mctizzz Devotee (493) Dec 23, 2010 California

The first time I had BT it arrived at 11am in a box that appeared to have been delivered by Ace Ventura. The BT had leaked so the only reasonable thing I could do was drink it right then and there. I drank half, did some errands, and drank the rest that night. Despite leaking and being drank over ~12 hours it was still very good. I would recommend sarting early and taking it slow, or even better: force it upon some unsuspecting sap.

zoober911 likes this.
  13. Thebrewracho

Thebrewracho Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2013 California

Did CR, GM, BT and propietors. 3 guys, 220 pounds each. Had a cigar while sipping each glass. After 2 hours we passed out. Next morning, all bottles were empty

Fox82791 likes this.
  14. Irishize75

Irishize75 Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2012 California

"You can drive a car with your feet if you want to, but that don't mean it's a good fu#€in idea"-Chris Rock.
    For me personally, it's the Law of Diminishing Returns. I love a good, sturdy BA stout as much as the next guy, but when it's that huge a beer, are you really going to enjoy and savor an entire bottle, even spaced out over a few hours? If the answer is "yes", have at it. But if you are having to power through a beer that exquisite like it's a lukewarm 40 of Crazy Horse, just put a stopper in it and revisit it the next day.

15. Italy-BeerCountry

Italy-BeerCountry Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Colorado

I'd have no problem drinking one of these by myself, but like you said would probably drink it while painting over the course of several hours. It's not like the beer would taste bad after four or five hours. To the shock of no one I've done this before.

16. Deggar

Deggar Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2014 Idaho

the hang over from these BA stouts is different. not head pain, but you are just slow...both body and mind....what the hell is in this stuff :-)

17. stealth

stealth Zealot (514) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

I feel you. I like to use BT as a palate refresher during whiskey and bourbon tastings.

whiskey likes this.
  18. kk73

kk73 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2009 Hawaii

First BT I shared with my brother, it took me almost 3 hrs to drink my half. Never again, I go minimum 4 on a bottle of BT. But that's just me bro.

19. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (555) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

So... if anyone needs a friend to drink a BT with, I'm your man

20. mohawk5

mohawk5 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 New Jersey

A bunch of lightweights in here. I would have no problem with that bottle. Of course I will never get to try it. Just a shame it gets in the hands of people that can't fully appreciate it.

21. Purpleman

Purpleman Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2014 California

Opened one up for Xmas or New years eve in 2013. The last couple ounces were a little tough to put down, but it all went down. I plan on doing it again soon!

22. Fluffheady

Fluffheady Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2013 Illinois

Go to a bar. Listen for some enthusiasts. Make some friends. Geez. Can you say "socially awkward"?

23. FutureMan91

FutureMan91 Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2014 California

I personally took a 2013 chocolate rain(bt variant) to the dome. The only thoughts in my head were goodnight lol. But I didn't have a bottle stopper and was kinda forced to.

24. DammitMike

DammitMike Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Virginia

[​IMG]

25. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (450) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Chocolate milk is better saved for the hangover the next day.

32 oz. of Gatorade and a quart of chocolate milk, preferably whole. Wait a couple hours and have a greasy breakfast. Hangover, solved.

26. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland

There's no beer worth not being hung.

27. cck5

cck5 Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 New York

I did this on thanksgiving. Needless to say was beyond hungover the next day.

28. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

AMEN BROTHERMAN

29. jroberts8811

jroberts8811 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Missouri

Tried; failed. As mentioned above, it isn't the booze that'll getcha - it's so damned sweet! liquid diabetes.

30. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

I drove 8.5 hours on a Friday for a vacation. I had the BT chilling in the cooler on the way. I opened it when we got there and offered plenty to the family, but no one had more than a sip, so I finished the rest. Being 23, the next day wasn't bad, but I was drunk by about 80% of the way through. Toss in a few Budweisers after the BT and I slept like a baby.

zoober911 likes this.
  31. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,822) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Premium Trader

I have drank a whole BT in the span of a couple hours.. as well as a GM and CR (separate nights obviously). Not proud, but not ashamed either....

32. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,591) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I traded mine because I'm a solo too, but I'd start on a full stomach, and go slow. I had two Bcbs on tap and I was pretty drunk and my wife was driving, and BT is a Bit more Abv and a bit more volume. Drink and go to sleep.

33. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (85) Dec 6, 2014 California

Two weeks ago I drank a Stone Enjoy By (9.2%), a 750ml Anchorage Tide and its Takers (9%), a Victory at Sea (10%) and a small 3 Fonteinen Kriek.

I was extremely drunk.

34. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,591) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Hard to gauge exactly, but a BT is much more than a solo bottle of wine.

35. deschutes_fan

deschutes_fan Defender (603) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I do agree with splitting the bottle over 2 days using a good capper to avoid the hangover, depending on your tolerance.

However, my buddy and I tackled GM, CR, BT and a few sours in a single night. Just took our time, watching some UFC fights and eating LOTS of pizza (water between every glass too). I don't want to know how many calories were consumed that night, but it is probably a 5 digit number :-/

36. Johntomk

Johntomk Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Tennessee

I drank a 32 oz growler of BCBS (13.8%) in a single day over Christmas break. That's nearly the same as a bottle of Black Tuesday. Just start early! I started about 5 (pm) ha. That was early for me, and I'm a pretty small guy (5'10 135lbs)! I was fine when I went to sleep and woke up. Also, I get hangovers very easily (Alcohol intolerance, skin rash and all), and I didn't after drinking that.

Edit: I would have shared, but no one in my house, or around me, cared for barrel aged beers!

#116 Johntomk, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  37. CD83

CD83 Initiate (107) Nov 9, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Thankfully, @mcomben and I will be enjoying my BT soon, but I think you should just go for it if you want. Don't drive and don't plan on being productive the next day.

I had 3 BCBS 11 oz pours on draft in about 2 hours, was pretty drunk but I'd accept that challenge if it weren't for friends helping out.

Love the title of this thread, BTW. So sad.

38. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

I have an 2012 and though I have people that I could drink it with we usually drink other beers (since it's 80 degrees even in the middle of January. This sounds like a great idea though. To start at 2 and spend 8-10 hours taking it down sounds great.

39. skunkpuddle

In the pacific forum SD Reaper would be first on that list of asking their "better halves" ( I hate that fucking term) if they could drink an entire bottle of BT. We may need to vent to each other about said annoyance sometime.

40. skunkpuddle

Your math is off. It would be like drinking 8-9 5% 12 ounce beers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.