Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Driving up from Georgia this week.

Discussion in 'New England' started by KippAdams, Feb 7, 2017.

1. KippAdams

KippAdams Initiate (137) Nov 27, 2010 Georgia
    Beer Trader

For my first trip to the area. Hitting up Tree House on Friday at 4:30, then Trillium Canton.

Checking in at a place in Thompson Square/ Bunker Hill around 11, then taking T/Uber to Ginger Man . After seeing the sights Saturday we are going to Cambridge Brewing Company and Lord Hobo that night.

After seeing more sights Sunday, going to Mystic at 4 followed by Night Shift. Then going to Brewer's Fork.

Heading up to Portland Monday morning to see Allagash, Oxbow, and Maine Brewing, then driving down to NYC, hitting OEC in Connecticut on the way.

Am I doing it right? Missing anything? Bissell Brothers, Proclamation, and NEBC are closed on Monday. Any breweries/bottle shop recommendations are greatly appreciated.

sosbombs likes this.
  2. cmurphycode

cmurphycode Initiate (39) Oct 3, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If you go outside the city to get to Allagash, you gotta go across the street to Austin St and Foundation. Looks like a great trip, have fun!

3. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (178) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

You need to get to TH earlier than that, IMO. Will have to talk to people who have hit both in the same day, but a 4:30 arrival might make it rough depending on what is being released.

4. Kingofprussia17

Kingofprussia17 Initiate (119) Jun 12, 2014 Massachusetts

You're missing the Patriots hall of fame in Foxborough. Sorry couldn't resist....Seriously though, keep an eye out on Monday for Trilliums Monday release. Hit them on the way back.

5. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (312) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sounds like a great, and more importantly doable, trip!

One thing to potentially check out is a new brewery a stones throw from CBC called Lamplighter. I've only had one of their beers, but they're so close to where you're already going you might as well pop in for a sample or two just on principal.

The only other relatively easy stop with decent bang for the buck for your time that i can think of is Jack's Abby/Springdale in Framingham. You could have dinner (awesome pizza) on the way home from Tree House and they have literally about 30 taps of a huge variety of outstanding beer (and plenty of cans/bottles to take home). They're super well respected out here even if they don't get much notice outside of the region.

Have a blast. Sounds like you're doing things right.

JrGtr likes this.
  6. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Really? I allotted myself an hour and read on the other thread they've been opening early some days. I'm heading straight there from Harrisburg/Pizza Boy Brewing at 11:10.

7. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Just added those to my list - thanks!

#7 KippAdams, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  8. KippAdams

Beer Trader

I would do that, because the place sounds awesome, but I'm trying to make the drive from Treehouse to Trillium that same night.

9. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (312) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Totally understandable and I should have caught that. The drive from Tree House to the Canton Trillium at that time does have the potential to be a traffic nightmare though. So if googlemaps is showing nothing but red on the Mass Pike and 95, keep JA in mind as a place to potentially kill some time before you get too close to the city traffic. If you have to punt on going to Canton that night, it's a very easy trip in from where you're staying to the Boston Trillium location if you need to re-adjust your plans.

10. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (92) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yep, and if you hit Jack's Abby make sure to hit Exhibit A too, they have cans of Hair Raiser available currently, and it's delicious.

11. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Not making this any easier!

12. JayKoz

JayKoz Initiate (178) Jun 20, 2014 Connecticut

I entirely forgot Trillium is open until 10 pm on Friday, so ignore me. But I'd still try to push Treehouse a little earlier just in hopes of getting out early to beat some traffic.

They open at 4 on Thurs/Fri now.

13. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Maybe I'll get someone to grab me some Pizza Boy the night before and leave at 10:30 Friday then.

14. TheMattJones88

Beer Trader

...was I supposed to? Hah.

If TrillBOMB is still on tap when you get to Trillium I can't recommend it enough, it's absolutely delicious.

15. KippAdams

Beer Trader

I'm trying not to think about that - too much pressure to put on a high traffic brewery several days out.

16. TheMattJones88

Beer Trader

That's fair. They SHOULD have Congress Street still available though, which is mighty tasty, it's the best glass of Orange Juice you'll ever have.

17. KippAdams

Beer Trader

On tap maybe.

18. TheMattJones88

Beer Trader

...nevermind. Nothing to see here, hah.

19. JackStrawWichita

JackStrawWichita Aspirant (238) Jan 4, 2003 Maine
    Subscriber

Ahhh, they're still in the City of Portland. "Off the peninsula" is a more appropriate description.

cmurphycode likes this.
  20. JBurd

JBurd Initiate (112) Oct 29, 2016 Connecticut

OEC is only open on Saturday unfortunately. Save yourself the trip and hit something closer to the highway.

I'd also second the suggestion to try and hit TH a little earlier if you can manage it.

21. dubdrop

dubdrop Disciple (353) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Not sure if it's still like this, but you used to be able to call OEC on days they weren't officially open and if they were around and said ok, you could stop to buy bottles. no pours or growler fills though.

Sheppard likes this.
  22. KippAdams

Beer Trader

They allow for bottle sales during the week - just stopping in to pick up a couple.

23. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,469) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Looks like a great trip.

A few potential things.

Bone Up is across the street from Night Shift. Worth a quick pop in. You can get a flight or small pour.

Check out the tap list at City Tap House as a potential sub for Ginger Man. I hit both last weekend and both are great. We walked from one to the other.

Excellent brunch at Five Horses Tavern on Sundays. Pretty good tap list as well. (great bloody marys, etc. also)

Also, show NH a bit of love and stop by Stoneface. You also would be driving by Great Rhythm and a few other Portsmouth locations (great rhythm closed Mondays though).

As someone else suggested, Austin St. and Foundation are like 100 yards from Allagash and well worth your time. Both open 12-7 on Mondays.

24. Newmania36

Newmania36 Initiate (39) Feb 16, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Foundation in Portland. They're open Mondays. I can't speak to any of the beers that you'll be able to walk out of there with, but it looks like they have Epiphany on tap. It's fantastic.

25. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Aspirant (212) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I've said it in other threads, but really no need to hit Maine Beer Co. It's another 20 minutes past Portland and they sell the same bottles you can get in most good bottle shops. Might be difficult to track down Lunch (I'd pass on that anyway) or Another One (which is excellent), but all the same, you're going to already have many many four packs of excellent IPAs already, so I'd cut my losses and drop MBC.

Unless you really love MBC, then go nuts.

jlordi12 and cmurphycode like this.
  26. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Can't say no to across the street beer!

Would love to hit New Hampshire, but just don't see time permitting. Trust me if time were not an issue I would be stopping in Vermont as well.

27. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Foundation and Austin St are locked in!

Newmania36 likes this.
  28. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Hmmm. Maybe I will use this opportunity to add time to my trip then - any good bottle shops to recommend on my trip?

Boston to Portland to OEC.

29. jhavs

Bier Cellar in Portland is a nice shop. You can plan your directions to drive by it on the way too or from Allagash area.

30. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Solid - will replace Maine Beer Co. with Bier Cellar and save some time.

Newport_beerguy and jhavs like this.
  31. BierCellar

BierCellar Initiate (128) Apr 5, 2012 Maine

Just a heads up, you can prepay for beer on our website and we will hold it for you. Or just shoot us an email at info@biercellar.com and we can talk availability on any styles you are looking for.

32. steve_o4

steve_o4 Initiate (119) Dec 19, 2016 New Hampshire

Skip MBC and hit Stoneface or Great Rhythm instead. You'll be driving right through Portsmouth to get to Maine, and Great Rhythm is right there. Also, don't sleep on the food in Portsmouth either.

33. jhavs

Great Rhythm has been making some tasty brews, but I think he is heading past on Monday and they'll be closed.

34. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Yup - nothing I can do about that. Schedule already set.

jhavs likes this.
  35. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Well that is awesome. Local stuff for sure. Email coming.

jhavs likes this.
  36. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Bringing up some Creature Comforts/7venth Sun Southerly Love, Creature Comforts Koko Buni, Double Koko Buni, Tropicalia, Wicked Weed Dark Age, Burial Donut Skillet, Prairie Coffee Noir, Pirate Noir, Birthday Bomb, Christmas Bomb, Pirate Bomb, Cigar City Raspberry Halo, and Cigar City Vanilla Hazelnut Marshal Zhukov if anyone wants to meet up at one of these breweries and trade some local goodies that I may have missed.

37. pehodges

pehodges Initiate (161) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Bravo. Someone who did their homework before just posting "I'm coming to New England-what should I do?" The initial itinerary sound like what I would have planned. It all depends on when you have extra time in the schedule and your preference of beer styles, but personally I'd skip the extra proposed stops in MA and NH (and MBC) and add Barrelled Souls and/or Tributary in ME (short detours off I-95) and the OEC detour is minimal if you're coming down I-84 through CT (Ben's a sweetheart and will open up for bottle sales if at all possible). In Portland, check RSVP before hitting Bier Cellar- on the route from Allagash to central Portland, better prices and most of the same stock except certain exceptional releases. Similarly, if you're hitting bottle shops on the way North out of Boston, people will recommend Redstone but check out Rapid down the road first. If you have an evening in Portland, Novare Res for drinks. Lots of recommendations on food.
    Oh, and we're getting a foot of snow on Thursday. (For people from Georgia, snow is cold white stuff that makes your car misbehave.) Travel on Friday onward should be ok, but drive safe.

38. KippAdams

Beer Trader

Would love to hit those, but both breweries are closed on Mondays. Pre-set travel schedule that my amazing wife is allowing me to fit a beer-cation in.

Will check out those two bottle shops now.

39. mpom99

mpom99 Initiate (129) Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Absolutely stop at Redstone when heading north out of Boston. Id recommend checking out their twitter and/or facebook to see what was recently dropped. Rapid is also very solid and only 1/4 mile down the road.

meefmoff likes this.
  40. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (228) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Stoneface is definitely worth a stop on your way from Boston to Portland, or vice versa. Five minutes off I-95. Have a sample or two, grab a few of the new 4-pack cans, and back on the road in less than 30 minutes. Easy replacement for MBC in my opinion.

Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy!

jhavs likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.