Dry Nottingham for American IPA?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by utahbeerdude, Sep 1, 2018.

1. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (365) May 2, 2006 Utah

What do you think? Pros? Cons? Fermentation temperature? Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,619) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

'Back in the day' (i.e., 10-ish years ago) Danstar Nottingham was my go to yeast for producing American style hoppy beers (e.g., APAs, American style IPAs,...) and I very much enjoyed the results. I then 'discovered' US-05 and I have instead been using that strain ever since.

IMO Nottingham does a very good job producing American style hoppy beers. Needless to say but my personal preference is US-05 instead.

Cheers!

GormBrewhouse and utahbeerdude like this.
  3. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (91) Jan 10, 2018 California

I’ve used Notty in an IPA with good results. I fermented low, I think around 60f. I’d have to go through my logs for certain details. But I remember I hopped the s*** out of it, like I do all my beers. But it was enjoyable. 05 is always my go to but I’m sure in an American style IPA they’re interchangeable. It flocculated out like 05 also. Hope that helps.

4. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (235) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I like notty. Drops clear and gets out of the way flavor wise.

5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,730) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Like @JackHorzempa I have made ipa with it in the past but not for a while, as I mostly use us05 these days. When I was using it most often I did not have temp controls. I recall it being cleanest when I put the fermenter on my cellar floor in winter. I measured the temp in the 55-60F range. That’s pretty anecdotal but it’s all I have

6. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (235) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

I can never get us-05 to completely clear for me as I don’t use gelatin. I do use it for non clear styles a ton though.

7. corbmoster

corbmoster Initiate (176) Dec 15, 2014 Texas

I think historically that notty was used a lot amungst home brewers for just about anything. What I've been told is that if you ferment as cold as it can, it will suppress ester formation and result in a cleaner flavor profile. Unless you want a NEIPA, then I think notty would still be great, and you should just bump up the temp. I haven't done this myself, but I would be willing to try it. Even if you did get some fruity notes, it might work well with the hops.

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,730) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Same here. Clean tasting but generally a slightly hazy appearance unless you work on it or allow plenty of time (which isn’t really compatible with ipa).

9. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (371) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I prefer notty for pales and IPAs for all the above reason. Also I like the taste of notty brews over 05 and other yeasts, tho I certainly well consum 05 ales from friends.

10. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (236) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Notty is one of my first stops when fermenting IPAs and PAs. It drops clear in time to leave hopped up beers hazy unlike us-05 (in my experience when doing side-by-side ferments) and have received strong feedback when I've fermented it in mid-60s. Served a Pale Ale I brewed with Notty to a class I did with Sean Lawson and can't say I heard one "off-flavor" comment. I'm pretty hard on my beers and rarely find yeast off-flavors when I ferment with it. Still enjoy Anchor strain more, but it's not too far behind.

utahbeerdude and GormBrewhouse like this.
  11. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (365) May 2, 2006 Utah

I just used it in an IPA. I fermented it at 64-65 F, so I'm glad to hear that has worked for you. It started fairly quickly and then threw a huge krausen. I'll be kegging it today, dry hopping in the keg. I'm very interested to taste this one. Cheers!

Jesse14 and GormBrewhouse like this.