Dry pale ales

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nickdank, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickdank

nickdank Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 New Jersey

IPAs have been such a trend lately, and one that I've readily and happily dove into, but now I'm coming up for air in this sea of IPA and looking for something else.

I really haven't tried a whole ton of APAs because in my mind they were always "IPAs with less hops and who wants that, really?" Now I realize that I should give the category a bit more love-if for nothing other than just affirming my previous statement.

For me a lot of IPAs, and most of the APAs I've tried, have a lot of caramel sweetness, honey notes, etc. This is fine, but not what I'm craving right now. I'd love some recommendations for bready (as opposed to caramelly), balanced, APAs on the drier side. I'm not opposed to a firm malt backbone, just looking to avoid the sugary flavor notes. Much appreciated!

2. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

If you're looking for something else, why not delve into one of the 100 other styles which aren't so closely connected to the IPA?

I know that sounds antagonistic, but its not meant to be

A Saison might be what the doctor would order

donspublic likes this.
  3. Bcrowe224

Bcrowe224 Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2013 New York

I always thought Maine Beer Company both made really dry (but well made, really awesome) IPAs and Pales. The peeper and MO pale ales are both fantastic. IF you are in NJ you should be able to pick them up...

nickdank likes this.
  4. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,083) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Just drink Zombie Dust... :sunglasses:

nickdank and eppCOS like this.
  5. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,625) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

When I get tired of my usual hairy-chested IPAs, I switch over to a lighter pale: Half Acre Daisy Cutter, FW Easy Jack, that kind of thing....just throttle it back a little. Or just Guinness, easy-going, low alc - a little more subtle. No need to over-think beer sometimes. Same goes for wine, can't always drink those 16% ABV Zins from Cali.

nickdank likes this.
  6. nickdank

I drink plenty of other stuff of most styles. I suppose this initial post, in the process of trying to be witty, made it seem like all I've ever drank is IPAs. Not at all the case. It's just for this specific case, I've realized that I haven't had a ton of pale ales because I generally go for something more "interesting"–either via a super hopped up IPA whatever else (saison, sour, porter, what have you).

7. nickdank

I'm personally a big fan of the session IPA. love me some Carton Boat, Founders All Day, Stone Go To, etc. and I suppose generally they are SUPER dry, since they basically are hop water lol. I feel like my ultimate goal here is to find something that's got good malt backbone, but trends to the drier, breadier, crackery malt flavors instead of the syrupy sweet malt flavors you find in a lot of pales (and IPAs for that matter).

eppCOS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.