Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Canada Dunham Quality Control

Discussion in 'Canada' started by KeKeKumba, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba May 5, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

I've been loving Dunham ever since they opened, in fact I'd call them my favourite Quebec brewery, but I've had a few bad experiences lately.

First the Saison Reserve, which was nearly uncarbonated and about as thin as it could be. Could have passed for flavoured water. I drank maybe half the bottle and dumped the rest. Tough pill to swallow at $15 a pop.

Then today, I bought some Leo's Breakfast (date on the box is 10/09/13) and it's gotta be the worst "infection" I've ever tasted. Completely sour, tastes almost like vodka, and funny enough...way overcarbonated. Smells metallic. Also a tough pill to swallow at $17 a 6pk. I opened three bottles and all the same thing.

Anyone else had any issues with them recently? I've had two other people confirm my thoughts on the saison. I may have to lay off them for a while. Those are some expensive mistakes. And yes, I've e-mailed them.

The Saison Rustique was drinking very nicely last week, so that's good.

Jones153 likes this.
  2. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

I bought a sixer of their Imperial India earlier this year that was terrible. Tasted like the Racer 5 I bought that was over a year old. I can't believe that it was on the shelf that long though.

3. Seany

Seany Sep 27, 2005 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I had my first LEO's a couple of days ago, and although I don't believe it was infected, I thought it was just a big mess in a glass. Did not enjoy it at all. I had heard such great things about it. Glad to hear the Saison Rustique is drinking well as I have one of those to tackle as well.

4. ZorPrime

ZorPrime May 17, 2008 Quebec (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Last batch of Leo's wasn't great... Or good. Sadly. It's way better than this... Love them too, but recently I was a bit disappointed which will make me hesitant to buy a full sixers of their beers! Hopefully, they'll get back on the awesome track :)

Cheers all!

5. Seany

Beer Trader

Happy to hear it isn't just me and that it may have been a subpar batch. I will have to give it another chance at some point in the future.

6. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike May 30, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Sorry if this is too far off topic. I was thinking about heading to Dunham the next time I was up at my place near Jay, VT. Are there any other beer related or not things I should absolutely check out when I am there? Also is crossing the border back and forth on 108 relatively painless even with beer to declare on the way back to the US? Thanks!

7. eloid

eloid Nov 14, 2008 Quebec (Canada)

108 is the good route to cross. Be sure to be there when it's open. Fall and winter the taproom in Dunham is open thursday trough saturday only from 4p.m. until late. Saturday opening at noon tough. Not many other breweries around there. If you plan on a longer trip, you might want to hit Sherbrooke city, you'll find two notable brewpubs (bocquébière + Siboire), both highly enjoyable. There's a new brewery in Farnham, 20 minutes from Dunham, Farnham Ales and lagers. Been open only for a few weeks.

8. eloid

9. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba May 5, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye out for some newer batches of Leo's.

10. Seany

Beer Trader

Awesome for the brewer to reply with some good details. Will try it again.

11. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

And I thought I couldn't like Dunham more than I already did!

Proven wrong.

Phyl21ca and eloid like this.
  12. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Jun 14, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Thanks for posting, and I appreciate the advice - just received a bottle of this in a trade this very morning (along with a suspciously unlabelled bottle with a dunham bottle cap... very perplexing!). Will hold onto it for a while.

13. ricochet173

ricochet173 Jul 6, 2011 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't worry too much about Dunham. They have a good brewer and their products are usually great (the only issue is they're kinda pricey!). Very likely to be just a fluke, and the brewers seem to have addressed it.

Luk13 likes this.
  14. eloid

The unlabelled beer is either : Triple XXX (Hybrid Imperial IPa/Belgian Triple, fermented with a Saison yeast)
    or Saison Rouge .

Santé !

Lurkaholic likes this.
  15. Lurkaholic

Lurkaholic Jun 14, 2013 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

It is indeed a new batch of Saison Rouge, I have since learned. Looking forward to it!

eloid likes this.
  16. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike May 30, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Thanks so much. Looks like I'll need to budget more time to do the trip properly...

17. papat444

papat444 Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Salut Eloi!

Very happy to hear you post this info! Loved the Saison Rouge last year at Bieres et Saveurs, look forward to trying it in bottles.

Also saw that you'll be making an appearance at EBF next March, Good stuff!

eloid likes this.
  18. Seany

Beer Trader

I will give credit where due. Tackled the Saison Rustique...just excellent!!!

eloid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe