East Coast Beer Trip

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pgrenvicz, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgrenvicz

pgrenvicz Aspirant (261) Nov 15, 2013 Georgia

Me and a buddy are leaving from Atlanta in June and going up the east coast to Vermont, making plenty of stops along the way. So far I have charted NoDa in Charlotte, Foothills in Winston-Salem, Alewerks in VA, DC Brau in DC, Heavy Seas in Baltimore, Troegs in PA, Ithaca in NY, and Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, and Lawson's in VT. Any suggestions for some cant-miss breweries/hauls I haven't thought of??

Thanks in advance-

2. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Aspirant (251) Jun 18, 2010 Virginia

Check with DC Brau's hours. You can get some free samples and cases or six packs there. It isn't a brew pub. Check out Hardywood in Richmond and Port City in Alexandria, Va.
    Lawson's isn't open to th public, nor is alchemist anymore for that matter.
    Tired Hands in the Philly area is well worth your while.
    Hit some good beer bars along the way too. Churchkey and !eridian Pint in DC. Monks in Philly, a number in NYC.
    Westbrook outside of Charleston is worth a stop too.
    State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD is worth a stop. So is Union Ale House in Lebanon, PA.

jasoncheb, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  3. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (536) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Going through NJ? Kane and Carton aren't too far off the Parkway. You'll be rewarded with deliciousness.

MachIPA, eagles7251, Nayr and 4 others like this.
  4. SirBentham

SirBentham Aspirant (252) Nov 6, 2012 California

I haven't been, but I've been meaning to check out New England Brewing Co in Woodbridge, CT. Would love to try Gandhi-Bot and Fuzzy Baby Ducks.
    As rhartogsq says, Lawson's isn't open to the public. Get there early for Hill Farmstead and have cash on you!

5. pgrenvicz

Thanks for the heads up on Lawson's. I heard that, and have planned to make most of VT pretty much a beer run, so to speak. Just want to bring some fresh goodies back to the ATL. That being said, if anyone wants to meet up, we get distro on some pretty good brews and some damn good local stuff as well.

jcugafsu likes this.
  6. pgrenvicz

most of my family is in NJ, so I'll most definitely be cutting through. I'll have to add this.

jcugafsu and Givemebeer like this.
  7. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Idaho

If you like top quality Pilsner trade Troegs for Victory.

HRamz3, weltywm and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  8. vshay

vshay Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

Stop in at Victory brewing and troegs and Appalachian brewing company while in Pa

Harnkus, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  9. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Aspirant (221) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

Jack's Abby in Framingham MA.

10. johnpmitchell

johnpmitchell Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 New Jersey

In NJ, def kane and carton (note limited hours) for breweries. Also when traveling north on the NJ turnpike there are two great beer stores right near exit 9-marketplace wines and spirits and wine world. Both in East Brunswick on route 18. Marketplace is best selection in the state as far as breadth and quality. I usualy go to wine world first though-they have similar selection of the really good stuff (everyone has the same distributors) and are slightly cheaper. But if you are hunting, marketplace is a must stop

jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  11. beerdedking

beerdedking Zealot (517) Oct 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

Pick me up. I'll be outside waiting for ya...:stuck_out_tongue:

12. ridgeline23

ridgeline23 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2009 Pennsylvania

Hit up Victory!!

fuhkyou, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  13. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,067) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

In NH try Portsmouth/ smuttynose brewpub. If you head over to Maine you can hit up Allagash, Maine Beer Co., etc. and get stuff from stores that you probably don't get. If you're stopping at Kane and Carton then I'd also suggest heading up to Rushing Duck in Chester, NY.

14. jslim

jslim Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2009 Illinois

If you're going to come in town to hit DC Brau, first, do it on a Saturday. Second, you might as well hit Three Stars on your way north to Baltimore. They are doing some really cool stuff with beer and the guys there are super friendly. Also a homebrew shop.

15. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Western Massachusetts places, Tree House, High Horse, and Pioneer/Rapscallion. Never been to Tree House but have had Sap, awesome beer. Plus Julius is world class. High Horse I hear good things about and Pioneer/Rapscallion is worth stop, decent beer and cool tap room in the woods. I think its an apple orchard and they have a disc golf course. Also good bbq close, I forget name.

Central Mass Wormtown should have their new tasting room open by then. Be Hoppy is a great IPA very underrated and competes with the top dogs in my opinion. Plus 3 Cross should be open by then, new brewery. Then Arsmby Abby is a great bar with a solid tap list all the time. Dive Bar too, never been but I know they always have a decent tap list.

16. Nlawrence301

Nlawrence301 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2013 Maryland

Add flying dog in Frederick md, you'll prolly be driving right through if going from Baltimore to Hershey . Also there's a hidden gem near Hershey called Al's of Hamden/ pizza boy brewing doing some amazing stuff.

Shroud0fdoom, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  17. ColdOne

ColdOne Aspirant (259) Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Trader

Speaking as an Ithacan, I think you're better off skipping Ithaca and hitting up Peekskill instead. That's where our darling brewer landed, and that's where you'll have your mind blown sip after sip. It's also closer to your path.
    Ithaca's pretty good, and so is the food, but Peekskill…

cavedave, Monstro, dwoolley1 and 7 others like this.
  18. PhillyStyle

PhillyStyle Meyvn (1,266) Apr 8, 2008 Georgia

Olde Mecklenberg in Charlotte is a must.

Victory, Tired Hands and the Memphis Tap Room are my go to places when I am in Philly. Forest & Main Brewing out in Ambler is really good too.

The Brewer's Art in Baltimore. The Meridian Pint in DC.

19. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,215) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Second checking out Westbrook in SC; haven't been there, but they have some good beer that our bartenders on our trip to Charleston pointed out to us. Their capacity has also been used by Evil Twin, as I understand it.
    Bluejacket is new in DC, and is related to the already mentioned ChurchKey.
    The Flying Dog tour was fun, although it was also my first craft brewery tour, so I might be remembering it fondly for that.

Shroud0fdoom, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  20. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Jack's Abby and Maine Beer Co.

NHhomebrewguy, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  21. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Savant (946) May 14, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

Ditto on Brewer's Art in Baltimore. Forget Heavy Seas. Brewer's Art is a fantastic place to drink, pick up some six packs, and eat dinner.

alexk307, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  22. smitty23

smitty23 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2014 Pennsylvania

DOGFISH! don't miss it, milton DE, best beer great people and food if you go to their restaurant in rehobeth beach

if stopping by the lehigh valley, try bethlehem brewworks, weyerbacher, and twin rivers then stop at free bridge spirits/wardell pub in phillipsburg for a great selection of beer on top and in stock

and if you are going to hill farmstead, might as well check out the alchemist where Heady Topper is created nearby

maine beer co is a definite must

DrStiffington, jcugafsu and pgrenvicz like this.
  23. Raucey

Raucey Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 Virginia

Visit SmartMouth in Norfolk, VA. It's not far from Ale Werks and would be worth the venture. Also, dont miss Hardywood Park in Richmond, VA.

24. beernuts

beernuts Disciple (341) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

Definitely Hardywood Park in Richmond.

25. RustyElbow

RustyElbow Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2014 Georgia

I definitely think you should make Ithaca a priority, without a doubt. One of the best experiences I've had at a brewery. And the food...to die for.

26. sammy806

sammy806 Zealot (553) Feb 29, 2008 Maryland

Will second a stop at State Line in Elkton, MD. If you're going to stop at Troegs, head to nearby Carlise for a stop at Cafe Bruges for lunch or dinner: Belgian brews and food. Also, for me anyway, a stop at Yards in Philly would be worth it.

pgrenvicz and jcugafsu like this.
  27. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (437) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

Go to Hunger Mountain Co-Op in Montpelier, VT to get Lawson's Double Sunshine and Alchemist Heady Topper.
    Contact Pat Luce @ Hunger Mountain Coop 623 Stone Cutter Way info@hungermountain.coop 802-223-8000
    Give them a call first to check when they get in shipments. You may want to visit Craft Beer Cellar in Waterbury too.

28. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

I was going to recommended Flying Dog, Burley Oak and Evolution in MD

29. MichaelAllenVT

MichaelAllenVT Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Vermont

Go to the Warren Store on a Thursday around 11 am. They always get a shipment of Lawson's and its a 4 bottle limit.

MEW, pgrenvicz and jcugafsu like this.
  30. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

I'm still planning a Pizza Boy tour. They're right up 83 so it's good.

31. MichaelAllenVT

MichaelAllenVT Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2013 Vermont

Also go to Trillium and Tree House, both in Massachusetts.

Omnium, pgrenvicz and jcugafsu like this.
  32. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (437) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

If your going thru Baltimore, a must see stop is Max's Taphouse at Fells Point. Probably the best pub on the East
    Coast. I agree that Dogfish Head and Rehoboth Beach would be great stops too, but they are off the main drag.
    Other places in Vermont are Three Penny Pub in Montpelier and Trapp Family Lodge Brewery in Stowe, VT

pgrenvicz, jcugafsu and alexk307 like this.
  33. JD_Bogerdy

JD_Bogerdy Initiate (126) Jan 12, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Captain Lawrence in Elmsford, NY makes some good stuff. I think the tasting room is only open a few days a week so check the website.

34. Rutgers13

Rutgers13 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 New Jersey

Flying Fish in NJ off the Turnpike (Exit 3 from the south I think). Victory is a must.

pgrenvicz, Shroud0fdoom and jcugafsu like this.
  35. Devman171

Devman171 Defender (612) May 16, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

Tired hands & forest and main or yards in Philly. Monks cafe, eulogy Belgian tavern.

36. stingley

stingley Initiate (115) Sep 21, 2013 Pennsylvania

FX Matt (Saranac) in Utica, NY. Ithica is in the Finger Lakes Region, great wineries and breweries - Naked Dove in Canandaigua, War Horse in Geneva (at the Three Brothers Winery). Lake Placid brew pub (Ubu Ale!). I'm only a few hours from the Finger Lakes region and have only begun to explore the region. Tons of treasure to be found in Upstate New York!

37. Monstro

Monstro Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2009 New Jersey

While in VT definitely check out Fiddlehead in Shelburne. Theyre not as well know as Lawson's, Hill Farmstead, or Alchemist, but they are truly a gem of a brewery in VT. Their porters are fantastic, and their double IPA's are right up there with the best of them.

38. Monstro

Monstro Initiate (0) Dec 5, 2009 New Jersey

If you do stop in Philly, its definitely worth a stop at Yards too. They brew some wonderful English Style beers, they may not be mind blowing, but extremely well made, and they aren't very far off the highway.

39. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,132) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Be Hoppy is great as well as almost everything else they do. Try em all, IMO, they're all pretty fantastic.

40. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,132) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

If you make it to Waterbury VT, The Reservoir has a great tap list and food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.