East side advice.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by beertunes, Mar 18, 2013.

1. beertunes

beertunes Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I just found out that some friends are in Spokane, and the area for a few days. I'm going to see if they can grab some Selkirk Abbey for me. Any others bottles around that we don't get on the Wet side I should have them watch for? I scanned through the recent Spokane threads and made a couple of suggestions to them, Iron Goat, Mick Duff's, what else? Thanks guys!

2. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Selkirk Abbey Belgian Pale is awesome. Iron Goat stuff is really good, but they dont bottle. Most Spokane breweries dont bottle actually. Growlers are gonna be your best bet.

beertunes likes this.
  3. draheim

draheim Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

When I read the subject line I instantly thought Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond... and the only advice I could think of was "stay away."

sukwonee, jklinck, bifrost17 and 4 others like this.
  4. beertunes

Beer Trader

So, I won't have to fight you for a spot at the bar at Black Raven then?

5. draheim

Beer Trader

Sadly, no. That place is one good reason I can think of for Redmond to exist, but if I make it that far east I generally keep going until I see snow or a hiking trail.

flexabull and beertunes like this.
  6. ramnuts

ramnuts Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

Hey, Redmond was a great place until Hwy. 520 was stretched out past 148th....I lived there for 20 years and really enjoyed it. Of course, that was back when I could drive to my downtown Seattle office in 20 minutes, door to door. It's a bit more congested now..... I blame Mr. Gates.

7. draheim

Beer Trader

I don't doubt it, that was before my time. These days there's just not that much I find appealing about the area. But that could be said about a lot of communities that have lost much of their original charm. Seattle isn't immune either.

8. leedorham

leedorham Apr 27, 2006 Washington

No-Li is the only place bottling right now so you're going to need growlers. Selkirk Abbey has a bottling line but they aren't using it yet. I believe Infidel, SA's Belgian IPA, is on tap at Waddell's and maybe their quad too.

Iron Goat is on tap at a few places and their tap room opens up on Thursday. They are growler only too. I'd say Impaler is the one to get right now since Goatnik is gone until next year.

Ramblin Road is also on tap at Waddell's. I've only had one of their beers and it isn't either of the ones Waddell's is showing on tap so I can't really steer you to one or the other.

Others that I don't really have a strong opinion about one way or the other
    - 12 String brewing in the valley (f'in expensive growlers)
    - Budge Brothers ($5 growlers on Wednesday I believe)
    - River City (no taproom, on tap at Post St alehouse I believe)
    - Steamplant
    - Trickster's (Couer d' Alene)
    - Biplane Brewing (Post Falls)
    - Golden Hills (All Lagers. The IPL is decent)

woemad, beertunes and checktherhyme like this.
  9. woemad

woemad Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

Iron Goat and Selkirk Abbey should be at the top of your want list. I'm pretty sure the same bottles of No-Li are available in Seattle as are in Spokane.
    12-string's beers were good when they first came out, but I've heard they are hit and miss, quality-wise (at most of my hangout's they've been eclipsed by Iron Goat).

beertunes likes this.
  10. John_M

John_M Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Beer Trader

Very cool. I should be in Spokane a week from this coming Monday, so this is very helpful information and advice.

beertunes likes this.
  11. woemad

Beer Trader

If you're up for it we could grab a pint or 4.

12. woemad

Beer Trader

I'd forgotten all about Trickster's existence. Have you encountered anything from them in any bars or do you have to go to them?

13. leedorham

I've only had their beer at a couple homebrew club meetings. They are not licensed in WA yet so you have to go to the taproom or find them on tap somewhere in N. Idaho. I keep meaning to check out the taproom but haven't made it there yet.

14. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

:) I'll definitely be up for it. However, it's looking now as if I'll be there on Tuesday.

I'll be driving from Missoula to Tacoma, so Spokane strikes me as the perfect place to stop for a pint or three along the way (can't do 4, with that much driving still ahead of me....:).

15. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa May 19, 2009 Washington

this cracks me up. why do people think the eastside is so far out there? i told someone that i live in issaquah the other day, and her response was, "brrrr!" wtf?

woemad, 66jzmstr and checktherhyme like this.
  16. draheim

Beer Trader

On a good day, Issaquah is a 30-minute drive from my house. So if I'm going to go clear out to Issaquah, I might as well keep driving and see something worth seeing. For Seattleites (me anyway) the Eastside has very little to offer that we can't get more conveniently right here in the city--Black Raven being an exception to that rule. The only reason I ever have to go to Issaquah is Stan's BBQ.

17. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa May 19, 2009 Washington

issaquah is 15 miles from seattle. but i get your point...why come out here when you have the city.

i work in the city...that's why i live out here.

18. beertunes

Beer Trader

Got together with my friends yesterday and hit the growler of Selkirk Abbey Infidel they brought back. Very good and they had nothing but great things to say about the other Selkirk brews. Also tried a growler of Mick Duff's Red IPA, a solid brew as well. Thanks for the tips!

woemad, SatlyMalty and leedorham like this.
  19. leedorham

You figure where or when yet?

20. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Based on what I've read on BA recently, I'm thinking Waddells neighborhood pub. Looks like it's just over a 3 hour drive from Missoula, so probably somewhere between 12:00 and 12:30.

21. harrymel

harrymel Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Remember to adjust for time zone my friend. And if you are gonna be at Waddels for lunch tomorrow, let me know as I am free and happy to grab a beer.

22. John_M

Moderator Beer Trader

Good point. I had indeed forgotten that there's a one hour time difference between Missoula and Spokane. So that means I'll be getting to Waddells pretty close to opening bell (between 11:00 and 11:30).

However, I won't be there till next Tuesday (4/2/13). Have a lot of driving to do between now and then.

23. leedorham

I'd join but it's free ski week at 49.

24. woemad

Beer Trader

I'll have to abstain from joining, as I won't get out of work until 3:30

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe