1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Ecliptic Brewing Co. White Asteroid IPA

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by DerrickW, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dedbeer

dedbeer Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Illinois

You haven't drank enough IPAs then. You can't possibly consider Sculpin and Ranger of the same quality and delicousness.

laglocal and Greels like this.
  2. DaltonC

DaltonC Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2013 Idaho

This is a draft only release in the local region where the brewery is located unfortunately.

RedMedicine and BobsLiquors like this.
  3. gatorlove

gatorlove Disciple (306) Nov 2, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I'm going to be honest, I've had a lot of ipas and I liked ranger better then sculpin.

4. laglocal

laglocal Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 California

Ok, but you have to actually try FRESH sculpin

5. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

So Stone is "hopping" (groans) on the white IPA bandwagon at last...

vurt likes this.
  6. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Definitely not a fan of the White IPA style; Just too sweet for my taste.

7. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Devotee (441) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

Stone always has solid IPAs. I used to hate IPAs until I tried Ruination. Now I'm liking them. Grapefruit slam as solid and I'll definitely pick this up if it is distributed here. However, I think it's time that Stone makes another stout. Their IRS is amazing and espresso was good. Why don't they make more stouts?

Oh well, I'll drink all their IPAs, but keepin an eye out for more of their stouts!

8. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Stone is way too popular to be hip. The people would rather drink a beer from left hop dog frog brewing out of the town of gypsy Idaho that only brews 2 barrels 3 times every two years.

9. gatorlove

gatorlove Disciple (306) Nov 2, 2013 Florida
    Trader

The time I had sculpun, I think it was a few months old. I've been meaning to get my hands on a completely fresh one.

10. charlzm

Stone makes/has made a pretty good number of stouts...

Cherry Chocolate Stout
    Cimmerian Portal
    Espresso Imperial Russian Stout
    Imperial Russian Stout
    Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout
    Spiced Unicorn Milk
    Stone / Farking / Wheaton W00tstout

11. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Devotee (441) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

You're right, they have made a few stouts. But hardly any compared to their IPAs. I guess that's what I was getting at. Plus most of those were only brewed once. I'm just saying that they do such a good job with stouts I'd like to see more stouts that are either year round or seasonal. More than just the IRS.

12. TheNewSchool

TheNewSchool Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2011 Oregon

I stopped by on the brew day for this beer: http://www.newschoolbeer.com/2014/02/eclipticstone-white-asteroid-imperial.html

John also gave me a sample of the finished beer and it tasted fantastic. Tropical fruit, tons of citrus, notes of bavarian hefeweizen's but Belgian esters from The Commons yeast and finally a big hop kick at the end.

It is draft only but there is a series of release parties this coming Monday.

mrgabe likes this.
  13. charlzm

You can't get it in Georgia, but the Cimmerian Portal (currently not bottled) is really, really good. I had it at the Stone Liberty Station location and liked it a great deal. Different animal from the Imperial Russian; I really hope they bottle this one.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/99145/?ba=charlzm

14. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,468) May 21, 2013 California
    Trader

Is there a function that shows the median? If so, I've missed it. Just because there are a lot of good ones ... how does that imply that there aren't as many, or more, mediocre or bad ones?

15. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Initiate (106) Jun 3, 2005 Oregon

Did this thread get moved in here or something? Because its full of a lot of bitching and attitude that we really try to avoid in this forum (except in bi-weekly HoTD threads).

16. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (310) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Judging by all the random non-PNW folks who commented early in the thread I suspect it was initially posted to Beer Talk or Beer News.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.