Ecliptic/Wicked Weed/Stone - Points Unknown IPA

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (615) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a new collaboration beer coming from Stone, Wicked Weed and Ecliptic. This is Points Unkown IPA, which is will be a Double IPA blended with a Barre-Aged Belgian Style Tripel. From reading the label, the beer will be a blend of 4/5 DIPA and 1/5 Barrel-Aged Tripel. With the Tripel having spent 4 months in a combination of red wine and tequila barrels. This should make for a very interesting beer. This beer will clock in at 9%abv and come packaged in 22oz bombers and draft. No word on when this will be released or distribution as of yet.

2. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Quebec (Canada)

That sounds pretty delish!

3. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,814) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Premium Trader

Definitely looking forward to this one!

4. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Devotee (426) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina

WW has been busy road trippin

5. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,011) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Still amazed at how they're able to keep coming up with unique idea after unique idea that manages to make me say "I wanna try that" just about every time.

6. TreeBear

TreeBear Aspirant (232) May 29, 2014 Oregon

I'm not usually a fan of Belgian IPAs but since the majority of this is going to be a west coast ipa I'll give it a shot. It'll be interesting how the fruit and taquila from the barrels blends with the hops. I'll defently try it on tap.

7. BKBassist

BKBassist Disciple (371) Jan 24, 2013 New York

Sounds intriguing, but I would have liked to see a Yin and Yang type option to taste each beer on their own. I can't say Ive ever had a wine/tequila BA triple.

And Known/Unknown would have been an excellent name for the 2 individual brews!

neurobot01 and deford like this.
  8. PA-Michigander

PA-Michigander Meyvn (1,397) Nov 10, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I was confused when reading the thread title but understnad it now. I get Stone's involvement in an IPA but am left scratching my head as to the others.

9. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,639) Mar 18, 2010 California

Sounds promising.

LakerLeith likes this.
  10. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (1,906) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

Stone always has something interesting and usually awesome up their sleeve. Looking forward to trying this for sure!

LakerLeith and StoneBrewing like this.
  11. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

I'll drink that. Wicked Weed is one of my favorite breweries.

LakerLeith likes this.
  12. esetter

esetter Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 Tennessee

Wicked Weed is on the cutting edge of barrel aging beers. Their belgian / barrel program is second to none. Stone is as solid as it gets. Never had anything by ecliptic but im sure they are solid too if the other two breweries wanted to work with them.

13. PA-Michigander

Trader

I agree as far as sours/saisons are considered for WW.

14. Camel242000

Camel242000 Initiate (183) Jul 27, 2012 North Carolina

You, my friend must not be aware of Freak of Nature if you are wondering about Wicked Weed and IPA's.

15. derftron

derftron Disciple (307) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

John Harris started Ecliptic.

here is an article about him

http://www.beervanabuzz.com/2013/04/john-harris-who-hell-is-he.html

wspscott likes this.
  16. Thrifty101091

Thrifty101091 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2015 Florida

Count me in as excited! Looking forward to this

17. rgordon

rgordon Champion (859) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The more the merrier.

18. esetter

esetter Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 Tennessee

19. almostjay

almostjay Initiate (0) May 24, 2008 Virginia

Jealously salivating as I sit here in VA thinking about the fact that I could see Ecliptic Brewing from my doorstep when I lived in Portland. Would love to get a chance to give this one a taste.

TheeWalrusHunter likes this.
  20. PA-Michigander

Trader

One of the FEW IPAs I'd like to try.

21. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

This honestly sounds pretty gross to me, Red wine and Tequila aged IPA. Will not be buying unless it gets rave reviews.

Gtwreck45 likes this.
  22. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Alaska

If it's anything like Green Flash's Le Freak, I'm down!

23. thegrimone

thegrimone Initiate (183) Mar 12, 2011 Virginia
    Trader

Its a colab from Stone, I will buy it. Yes I know some don't taste great, but how else are you going to find the next Dayman?

24. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (242) Feb 28, 2015 California

dayman was an interesting one, for sure. but good.

ElijahSF likes this.
  25. mbbransc

mbbransc Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2009 North Carolina

This is my initial impression as well. I don't think I've had a beer that tasted better aged in tequila barrels.

26. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Aspirant (293) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

27. SixThousandDollars

SixThousandDollars Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Florida

dayman is love. dayman is life.

28. BourbonYeti

BourbonYeti Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2015 New Jersey

sounds pretty dankkkkk

29. Fieldzy27

Fieldzy27 Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2010 North Carolina

The character from the barrels will go very well with a triple, this is a unique and innovative beer and the key to its success will be in the blending of the two beers. Something wicked weed and stone know very well. The third brewery I know much less about but as stated before they are in good company. Also lastly barrel character is important to beer but and does show in the finished product, but they way the barrels are conditioned and the time spent in them has a lot of effect on that. Obviously the idea of drinking red wine tequila and an ipa and a triple in one drink doesnt sound good. But, i'm sure that will not be the literal flavor profile of the beer......

30. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,408) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

This sounds interesting. Would definitely try it.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  31. Hopportunistic

Hopportunistic Aspirant (203) Jan 24, 2013 North Carolina

I'd try that in a heartbeat. While I'm not familiar with Ecliptic, I've had many top notch Stone and Wicked Weed brews, so I'm sure the talent is there. Hope it gets spread around here so that I can try it !

Tylertut likes this.
  32. tiamat8086

tiamat8086 Aspirant (253) Jun 12, 2014 North Carolina

Wicked weed indicated that this will available through Stones distribution area.

33. hellobeerz

hellobeerz Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 Virginia

Interesting... Would def try this or take it to a bottle sharing event. I see it as a big hit or miss though.

34. hellobeerz

hellobeerz Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2013 Virginia

Interesting... Would def try this or take it to a bottle sharing event. I see it as a big hit or miss though.

35. rgordon

rgordon Champion (859) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I will have no problem trying this beer. Gose is really weird with salt, sour/tart, and coriander. It "gose" well with baked cod. I would have never thought Gose as a largely marketed type of beer. Who knows anymore!?

36. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Defender (663) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

Definitely will give this a go.

37. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Pass...

38. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Sounds interesting. Might give this a go, but I'm not totally into the Belgian IPA thing.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  39. Brewsed

Brewsed Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2010 North Carolina

From WW's FB page:

"Saturday, May 9th at 5pm at The Funkatorium we will be tapping Points Unknown, our collab with Ecliptic Brewing and Stone Brewing Co. Stone was generous enough to send both collaborators Points Unknown before they themselves release it nationally so don't miss your chance to get a rare on draught pint here in the Southeast. Our Head Chef, Cardiff, is adding a few small dishes to the menu crafted to bring out all aspects of the beer. Stone Brewing representatives as well as our own brewing staff will also be on hand to help celebrate the release of a beer that shows off what collaborations are all about: camaraderie and the passion of those willing to push our craft to its fullest potential."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.